Livery yards being closed, banned from seeing our horses

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
I have a friend who lived in China for 30 years, only returned last year but obviously still has most friends living there.
He says most Chinese officials and ordinary people do not think British and other Western countries have the discipline and respect for orders as the Chinese and think more about ourselves than the State. Therefore we will not be able to obey instructions to the letter and "lockdown" in UK etc will fail....
Maybe he's right according to the differing interpretations on this and other forums...

Yes, completely different social set-up between the state and the individual in China. Remember we don't have ID cards in the UK, we have policing by consent and our police are not armed.

What we really need is some good old reliable rubbish British weather to keep the idiots indoors.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Anyway......
On a lighter note, look who I saw today for the first time in 2 weeks.

92357451_10158702208354739_4130298524749266944_n.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
when you Pm'd me recently about posters having 2 ID's you described "pack mentality" and that now this is the worst you have ever known. That unless you were one of the in crowd you were basically hounded off. You also admitted you did not really like the forum.

Is your above comment the sort of thing you were referring to?

This isn't on, Paddy. Private messages are supposed to stay private. It used to be in the forum rules, but it disappeared when the new software was installed.

scats

Visit site
I really feel for those who can't see their horses at the moment. If you are anything like me, my horses are my sanity (when they aren't driving me mad!) and at the moment they feel like my only 'normal' in a strange world.
I went for feed today at a local feed store that has a large livery attached. A fair few people were sat around chatting on the yard benches (I counted at least 5 people as I went past). It must be virtually impossible to police that kind of thing though, as the yard is absolutely huge and all DIY.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It’s not really about your mental health or Vitamin D levels at the moment, though, is it? It is about doing what is best for society as a whole. And that means reducing to an absolute minimum the time spent outdoors. It is also about not doing things that could potentially put you at risk of needing the emergency services. So, if it is safer to drive to work, and you have the means to do so, then you should choose this option. I have a beautiful road bike that I am desperately looking forward to getting out on, but I also don’t want to fall off it and need an ambulance. So my OH and I go for a run instead, while I await the delivery of my turbo trainer.

It is incumbent on us all to make the best, and safest, choices for the good of society. Not what works best for us as individuals.

This is a short period of time in the grand scheme of things, and the sacrifices people are being asked to make are far from onerous.

Hang on so you are going for a run but I'm not to go out on my bike (can't run) even though I am cycling completely on the flat, haven't fallen of a bicycle since I was a child and pass max 10 people - with plenty of room to give them space? I would be much more likely to injure myself running or walking due to physical issues and it would be foolish for me to spend the sort of money a TT costs right now.

I'd actually rather opt not to drive so I'm not using petrol pumps. I certainly wouldn't assess that it is safer to drive than cycle to work though there are other reasons for that too that I don't want to bring to this thread.

I believe I have the scientific know-how to be happy that I am making the best and safest choices and following government guidance. If in addition what I am doing limits my requirements to call on my GP or our 111 mental health option then I am reducing my use of services which is why it is important to include these things in any assessment of how to behave. Perhaps you don't realise how ill people can become/how risky their situation is currently.

I hope you are able to keep enjoying your running.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm going to actually see mine tomorrow all being well. I had to put him on full livery as I'm isolating due to health issues but they have been put out in the fields this week and all my fly stuff etc is still at my house and I need to take it to the stables for him. So he'll get a quick hello and some carrots from me at last.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Hi Paddy when I pm'd you, it was to reply to your ask about 2 accounts. some of the others that post on here do,or those that get banned come back as someone else. I have ver been in with the in crowd, and nor am I really bothered about being a yes person. Yes and quote from my PM "I have only come back on due to C19, but i must admit I really do not like the forum as it is, it has changed beyond all belief " which it has, it used to be a supportive place where you could actually have a heated debate with out being called names or ganged up on.

Oh the irony! You've attacked me twice on this post and will no doubt do so again when I post this. Maybe you are the problem ? ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
This isn't on, Paddy. Private messages are supposed to stay private. It used to be in the forum rules, but it disappeared when the new software was installed.

Yes the forum has reached down to a whole new level, you would not mind if they did not edit the post to take it out of context, especaially when you were answering about two users, a question that they had asked
Oh the irony! You've attacked me twice on this post and will no doubt do so again when I post this. Maybe you are the problem ? ?

Oh yes the irony..... if i or anyone not in the Walker and Winters show had put up those videos of small children, and not from your house hold running a horse into a fence without a hard hat on, and if i had also said i had to be on lock down for 12 weeks, the letter is in the post, due to how poor my health and still went out and mixed with others, would have seen you badgering and braying for my head and calling me selfish and not considering the impact on the NHS. But I suppose that was necessary thing to do as as it was you doing it and only you can choose your own interpretation of the rules but ram your thoughts down others throats.

You attacked me first, so yes i retalliated, if you don't like it put me on UI and then get your friends to screen shot what I type so you can have another go. which is even more pathetic than announcing I wont read your posts and don't read mine. That is why we have UI

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
"Yes the forum has reached down to a whole new level, you would not mind if they did not edit the post to take it out of context, especaially when you were answering about two users, a question that they had asked"

you seemed to have edited this bit so I couldn't quote it but post 491 includes it. I have no idea what you are talking about. The only bit I edited was the GW came back due to C19 and I can't see the relevance of those words.

Velcrobum

Visit site
While you are all bickering on here my OH came out of retirement today and returned to ITU to help out in this pandemic. ITU wise it is only just warming up in 2 weeks it is likely to be very very different.

I also have a horse at a locked down yard he will receive excellent care and I have to just suck it up.

If we all hunker down and stay in the smaller the likely hood of spreading C-19. When I last went food shopping I left it as late as I could working on the idea people would be eating their evening meal. It was quite but people were not social distancing. I wish the security people would stop families and couples coming in. The next time I see a car full of young men it will be photographed/videoed and passed to the police. The more times a pocket is hit the better the chances of riding out C-19.

honetpot

Visit site
While you are all bickering on here my OH came out of retirement today and returned to ITU to help out in this pandemic. ITU wise it is only just warming up in 2 weeks it is likely to be very very different.

I also have a horse at a locked down yard he will receive excellent care and I have to just suck it up.

If we all hunker down and stay in the smaller the likely hood of spreading C-19. When I last went food shopping I left it as late as I could working on the idea people would be eating their evening meal. It was quite but people were not social distancing. I wish the security people would stop families and couples coming in. The next time I see a car full of young men it will be photographed/videoed and passed to the police. The more times a pocket is hit the better the chances of riding out C-19.

I have never understood why shopping, in a supermarket has become a family/social event. I left the kids with my husband at home, it does not take two to buy food, at the time it was my only break from the kids apart from work. I think the only time we shop for is a new house, shopping together is not a pleasure.
Now I let him go on his own, he is feeling the lockdown more than me, I am the master of wasting time, so he gets to do the click and collect and somehow has managed to get us an order every week, by rotating supermarkets, he doesn't even go in the store. Sainsbury's gave us substitutes for free, which we didn't want, which we still not want so there will be some donations to the food bank.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This paints a picture of it being rather more hectic than it is currently. Both brother and SIL have been redeployed to corona cases (doctors). They are not yet over worked or over whelmed and both are in central London.

The paediatric oncologist does not live or work in London but her department obviously needs her to be present when she would, under normal circumstances be on holiday

Frumpoon

Visit site
Let me explain, the social isolation is for the benefit of the whole of society to cut down the infection rates of society as a whole so the nhs can cope with covid 19 and also other sick people, not that hard to understand!

I'm literally so bored I can't be arsed to repeat myself or argue the toss

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I went for a walk around the block a couple of days ago, past the yard where I usually ride.

I could see only three horses there; I think the others have had their shoes taken off and have been turned away.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I went for a walk around the block a couple of days ago, past the yard where I usually ride.

I could see only three horses there; I think the others have had their shoes taken off and have been turned away.

Oh i hope so, but your in France...... I threaten mine in being sent to France when they are naughty ! :eek:

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
We are extending our time on the yard an extra half hour to 1.5 hours from tomz i think, we can ride if we want which will be great for my horses rehab controlled exercise plan but i will just go round the yard. Still only allowed to go up once a day. Asked if i could go up in the morning to try and reduce the time my horse goes out as she's so colicky (this would knock 3 hrs off) but not allowed if also want to go up in the afternoon as everyone would want to do the same.

So worried as normally i turn out late at night and go up early to get her in for 2 or 3 days.

Just so gratefuli can see her still although i havent a clue how I'm going to pay for her over the coming weeks.

Friend offered to turn her horse out in her field for an hour prior to her going out so i've bitten her hand off.

Hopefully rules will be relaxed by goverment on Monday. But realistically i can see the country going into full lockdown and everyone taken by suprise.

SO1

Visit site
There is no way the lockdown will be reduced on Monday, I think we are in for another month of this at least.

I have not seen my horse at all since the lockdown & miss him terribly. Just trying to do the right thing & reduce the risk of yard owner & staff getting infected or myself getting infected. So many people have died the best thing I can do for my horse is to try not to get infected.

We are extending our time on the yard an extra half hour to 1.5 hours from tomz i think, we can ride if we want which will be great for my horses rehab controlled exercise plan but i will just go round the yard. Still only allowed to go up once a day. Asked if i could go up in the morning to try and reduce the time my horse goes out as she's so colicky (this would knock 3 hrs off) but not allowed if also want to go up in the afternoon as everyone would want to do the same.

So worried as normally i turn out late at night and go up early to get her in for 2 or 3 days.

Just so gratefuli can see her still although i havent a clue how I'm going to pay for her over the coming weeks.

Friend offered to turn her horse out in her field for an hour prior to her going out so i've bitten her hand off.

Hopefully rules will be relaxed by goverment on Monday. But realistically i can see the country going into full lockdown and everyone taken by suprise.

sakura

Visit site
There is no way the lockdown will be reduced on Monday, I think we are in for another month of this at least.

I have not seen my horse at all since the lockdown & miss him terribly. Just trying to do the right thing & reduce the risk of yard owner & staff getting infected or myself getting infected. So many people have died the best thing I can do for my horse is to try not to get infected.

absolutely the same here. it's hitting me hard, how long it's been without seeing my horse and how much longer this could potentially be for. but you only need to see the daily headlines to know it's the best thing to do. And that day I can see her again .... that's what's keeping me going!

Chianti

Visit site

I went to Sainsburys this week and I think they were only letting one person in - no pairs or above. I can't understand people. I'm not allowed to see my pony and I really miss him but I know that's nothing to what key workers are going through. Best of luck to your OH. I'm furious about the PPE situation and have contributed to a crowdfunder of some young chap who is making visors using his 3D printer.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Going back to turbo trainers for bikes, if you can still get hold of one.

Son no 1 bought an interactive one about a month ago. It cost £180 and is ridiculously good quality for the money. He has his spare bike fitted to it. He is ‘racing’ against fellow users in real time, and the resistance automatically adjusts for hills etc, so it is remarkably realistic.

Son no 1 is up bright and chirpy this morning, prepping for a 40 km virtual road race in Central London, starting at 9.05am. The roads should be nice and empty for it :).