Livery Yards Southampton/Portsmouth/Meon Valley

Biancaa

New User
Visit site
Hi All,

I am in the process of relocating to the Southampon area. We are looking to move between the M3 and M27 including towns suchs as Fairoak, Botley, Bishops Waltham, Wickham, Hambledone e.t.c.
I am looking for an adult yard that offers 7 day livery, has excellent facilities and hacking (is is possible to have it all).
Can anyone offer and advise/help on local yards?
Many thanks,
:)

Fairytale

Visit site
Quob, Durley
Crofton, Titchfield
Pinkmead/Sherecroft, Botley
Brantwood, Curdridge

all have indoor schools etc etc etc

Oakhill Livery, West End

spring to mind immediately. Have a look on NFED they have a huge listing of liveries in the area.

F

Biancaa

New User
Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply. I have looked at those yards apart from Brantwood and Oakhill (though I think I drove past this at the weekend)

Want to try and avoid a riding school enviroment if possible. But have emailed Oakhill now as they have a good website, can't any information on Brantwood.

Regards
Bianca

Fairytale

Visit site
Brantwood is quite nice but very limited turnout I believe.

I was actually in Oakhill on Sunday (briefly) and they have a lovely all weather school.........(envy) and I hear it is a very friendly yard with no 'politics'.

Do look on NFED, there's loads on there - smaller yards in Upham, Waltham and roundabouts :)

Welcome to the area - we're very nice :D

Biancaa

New User
Visit site
Turnout is really important to me - so that might rule Brantwood might be out.

I have just been on NFED and emailed a few yards, so fingers crossed i will find some more to view. I have emailed Oakhill too so hopefully i will hear back from them shortly.

If everyone is as friendly as you down there i am looking forward to the move! It is daunting having to find a new yard, and new horsey friends again!

Fairytale

Visit site
Try Shedfield Equestrian as well - lovely arenas........

Harmsworth, Curbridge have masses of turnout and nice facilities too.

There's quite a few smaller yards that don't advertise, if I think of one that may suit I will let you know :)

Let us now how you get on :)

F

jojo5

Visit site
Lovely area - wish I was still there. If there is still livery offered at The White House, Wickham Common, have a look there - indoor and outdoor schools, lots of turnout in established fields, fantastic hacking up the road in Forestry commission land. Used to be great, but I haven't been in contact with them for a couple of years as I moved to a different part of the country.

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
I'm another in that area! *wavey*

There is a Facebook group called Hampshire Livery Offered & Wanted which may be helpful.

Don't know of many yards myself - we're based on a farm, and are the only horsey tenants.

I know Bow Lake does livery, and has a website - can't remember the name. Marwell Activity Centre used to do liveries I think, not sure if they still do. There's a place along the road from the Hampshire Riding Therapy Centre that takes liveries too. Kitnox Farm near Botley. Park Farm in Swanmore.

Loads of small yards in the area - you may find it useful just to drive round, look for yards, and ask if they're taking liveries.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Bow lake offers full livery but they only turn out for an hour a day. Marwell's school was horrible and boggy when i last saw it a few years ago, and I dont think they do full livery.
If you want full livery with god hacking and turnout and a great school then Oakpark livery in Fairoak is the best and its friendly and relaxed.
I know quite a few people that havn't got on at Oakhill/Moorgreen farm, in Westend, its a clicky yard but does have good riding, turnout and a nice big school.
Brantwood stables in Curdridge has about 1 acre turn out for the whole yard and ban turnout in the winter which is awful. And Harmsworth has no where to ride out, the road out the front is very dangerous.

Parker79

Visit site
Hello

If turnout is important then you may need to look at smaller yards and check their policy on winter turnout...I loved Oakhill when I looked but the winter turnout is every other day for a short period.

Brantwood has NO turnout in winter...then turnout into the school.

I ended up putting mine in the New forest due to having trouble with turnout...but that is pretty drastic!!

If you want good hacking then look for yards which have east access to 'the old railway line' or Wickham...as they have 100 acre wood which is fabulous!!

I kept mine near Manor Farm country park and could pm you details...but the park riding is restrictive (not supposed to canter) and if it rained then many were not turned out (which sent my mare insane!!) Was a nice yard tho!

Nfed is a good tip...also saw an advert for a place on the show schedule for Titchfield show (you will find show schedules on NFED) that said 365 days a year turnout.

Once you know where you will be moving to then feel free to PM me and I will happily give you any info I can. If you want good hacking then I think Fair oak/winchester way is very good in places (no experience tho) and Wickham is very popular.

Good luck...great area of the world and New forest a short box ride away!!

jojo5

Visit site
Parker.... you're right, the old railway line at Wickham and the Forestry Commission Forest of Bere make for wonderful riding out (you do have to pay an annual fee for the forest), - that's why i suggested the OP look at what used to be Wickham Stud - The White House on Wickham Common. I know that the owner has not been well, so I am not sure if livery is still offered, but it was a big yard with staff and, as i said, an indoor and outdoor school.

Parker79

Visit site
I remember the lady from Wickham stables....I remember her ID stallion too...I think he was called Warrior.

I didn't know she has been unwell...that is a shame...I cannot think of her name at the mo! I spoke to her about 18mths ago and she was so helpful. If she cannot help she will give the OP a nudge in the right direction.

catwithclaws

Visit site
Parker - I've got 2 over there - an elderly orange forester (Tee) with no brakes and an ISH mare who would far rather be jumping the puissance than hopping me over 2' crosspoles (Megan)

We'll have to meet up there :D

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Tanglewood in Colden Common has a fair bit of turnout but it is technically a riding school - however a few years back when I was there the liveries were quite happy keeping out of the RS-ness at weekends! I no longer live in the area though so might be out of date! Hacking reasonable once you've got a bit of roadwork out the way too...

Parker79

Visit site
Cool! My friend is showing her Palomino Welsh x Arab in the ridden...as she is hacking there I am going along with water and a spare pair of hands!

PM me with a pic of your mare and I will look out for you! let me know which class you are going in and I might have a hope of finding you!.

sorry for thread hijack!

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
*WAVEY* I'm in this area too -Agree with the poster about Hampshire Hooves online being a great source.

Mayhill Stud, Droxford is another but not sure on winter t/o
Roughhay is nice but again not great on winter t/o

Exton Stud is not far away - i would enquire with them, good facilities and hacking.

In this area i struggled to find a mix of good turnout/hacking and facilities.

Swanmore and Wickham are the places to be with good hacking.

jojo5

Visit site
Lucky Horseshoe - Wickham yard as I mentioned had got all the right things - good turnout/facilities and excellent hacking - just not sure what is available there now.

Parker 79 - you're right - Warrior was standing at Wickham back in the day! I even rode him once! (here I would add one of those shocked faces if I knew how to). I'm not sure about mentioning people by name on here, but you're also right in saying that the owner there was hugely helpful - all my horses came from there and she was really really kind when one of mine had a stroke.

(P.S. How do you add a shocked face??? I don't know what punctuation to put in for it to come out like that)

Parker79

Visit site
Jojo - cannot believe you rode him! he was lush!

Shocked face etc should be on the right hand side of your screen in the 'smilies' section...might not show if you are on your phone

jojo5

Visit site
I can hardly believe it either now...!!! My friend who also taught me arranged for me to have a lesson on him, so was in the confines of the school !!

I don't have any smilies to the right of my screen, only adverts for Eventing mag. I only have an options to add an 'icon' below this message, which doesn't come out in the text. I'm using a Mac.

kildalton

Visit site
*WAVEY* I'm in this area too -Agree with the poster about Hampshire Hooves online being a great source.

Mayhill Stud, Droxford is another but not sure on winter t/o
Roughhay is nice but again not great on winter t/o

Exton Stud is not far away - i would enquire with them, good facilities and hacking.

In this area i struggled to find a mix of good turnout/hacking and facilities.

Swanmore and Wickham are the places to be with good hacking.

Would not touch Exton with a barge pole.Mayhill has restricted turnout but the yard is well run.

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Would not touch Exton with a barge pole.Mayhill has restricted turnout but the yard is well run.

I'm at Mayhill :) It has lovely facilities and people, but as Kildalton said turnout can be somewhat restricted. We have gorgeous hacking (in one direction I count myself unlucky if I meet one car in an hour's ride!) and it suits me and my boy down to the ground.

There are quite a few yards in Fair Oak, which is the other place I looked. Crofton, Quob and Pinkmead are all riding schools, so very busy. It is a lovely area to have a horse in, so lucky you moving here! Hope you find somewhere lovely :)

Isabelle

Dollysox

Visit site
Another also from this area (Waltham Chase). If you are in the area looking around another place to check out are the advertising boards at Hampshire Saddlery, Shedfield Nursery, Botley Mill and Kitnocks Farm. Lots of the smaller yards tend to advertise there when they have vacancies.

Definitely try to get somewhere within striking distance of the Old Railway Line - it leads to so many other places. Good luck and welcome to the area.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Crofton has very minimum turnout - literally only an hour or two in the winter, according to my friend who has her horse there. Plus there isn't any decent hacking around. You have to ride out onto a really busy road to get anywhere. Good facilities and plenty going on at the weekends though.

Milford

Visit site
There is a lovely yard with a lovely owner called Sue. It's a DIY yard in Hambolton (or however you spell it!) . Narrow lane to get to it. It's all DIY (with turnout if required) , american barn or ''normal'' stables, good turnout, school, tack room etc. Sue is lovely. Wasn't pricey either.

BBH

Visit site
Crofton has very minimum turnout - literally only an hour or two in the winter, according to my friend who has her horse there. Plus there isn't any decent hacking around. You have to ride out onto a really busy road to get anywhere. Good facilities and plenty going on at the weekends though.

Crofton is great if you are a serious competitor as its all on site but not so good IMO for the leisure rider.