Liveryman Clippers

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Used a brand new set of Liveryman Cordless (never out of box) this morning that a friend has recently bought. Battery showing fully charged after being on charge over night. Followed instructions and successfully clipped one side of the bonkers cart horse. Coat thick but not greasy.

I have never used Liverymans but was reasonably impressed with the lightness and low noise. A2's on and they left a decent finish. Made a start on the other side and the blades announced they were blunt and started to pluck the hair out. No spare blades in box so that was that. Ted The Twit was mortified and Adorable Alice refused to let him borrow her heinigers.

My only thought would be the brand new blades were not sharp when boxed ? The whole lot is being taken back to the retailer tomorrow. Has anyone else had similar problems and those with Liverymans running A2's how many horses (big ones/full clip) would you expect new blades to do ?

Thanks

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Which Liveryman's have you got? The Liveryman Harmony??

If so.......... IME they might be fine for trimming and very light coats, BUT TBH not suitable for a winter coat especially on a cob. I am not really impressed by the ones I've got. But they are handy for doing the dog!!

I would expect new blades to perform better than this too TBH.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I’ve got the classics and the same blade has done two horses and 50 cows going to market so far... no idea about blades. Should be fine ifbrand new. Take them to shop/sharpeners see what they say.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
are they the black beauty? I have my eye on those,they look really nice and when I played with them in the shop they seemed comfortable too.

I have ancient liveryman mustangs. i get many many clips out of my A2s, my last new set easily did 6 horses out of the packet. Mine are natives and a wooly WB so not entirely yak like but fairly dense coats.

conniegirl

Visit site
I have the liveryman harmony plus’ and the blades will do 2 full clips on the irish beast before needing sharpening.
That said they were not the sharpest when they arrived and the guy from razorsharp fixed them for me

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yep, def something wrong. Those should be able to do at least a whole yard of hairy cobs in one go!

9tails

Visit site
Tensioning out? I use Liveryman Harmony with the clip on blades. As MiJods said they're not man enough for cobs but then they're half the price of the Black Beauties.

littlemiss1

Visit site
They are Black Beauty clippers, they are not mine, but I would have thought they are man enough to clip a furry cob ?

Im so glad someone else has said this! So i bought the black beauty's last year love them so light and easy to clip with. Well last year they were fine clipping my cob they did leave a few long hairs when clipping so just kept going over him.

This year roles around and well i clipped my boy well it took me 3 days and 2 sets of blades to get him finished!

The blades had only one 2 full clips they did bits of him but not others so off to the tack shop to buy new blades, new blades same problem. Horse had been bathed previously so not dirty or greasy. in the end i had to keep taking the blades off running them with no blades for a few moments then put the blades back on clip a bit and so on.

They are still in warranty so i think they will be going back to be checked over

BethanT

Visit site
I have the Liveryman Red Rocket clippers, and I must say for medium duty clippers they get very hot very quickly. I have had them a number of years now - 5 I think and I always do a minimum of 10 clips a year -, and have built up a collection of blades so I can swap out if they get too warm, but I much prefer clipping with a set of Listers for ease of use and noise. I also find the Listers give much few tram lines and feel lighter so easier to get into the creases. Little bit tempted to sell mine and get the Listers!

I do sometimes find the blades go blunt very quickly, and I think it might be down to the tension on the blades. Just sent mine off for service and sharpening, so will see what needs doing with them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
dont have any experience of liveryman but have some very old lister showman clippers and found that the battery needed to be charged, then run for a while and then charged again on my first clip of the year..., if the battery is starting to fade and the clippers did not seem to be clipping, i changed to electric as i had the special lead, and with the same blades in they clipped ok. just a thought ,maybe not the blades?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The battery on my liberties was rubbish at first, I thought I had a duff set! However after a few charges it now clips a few on one charge.
It’s sometimes not obvious wether the battery is loosing power or the blades are blunt. As above I thought my blades were gone but swapped to a mains lead and they were fine

RoR_nut

Visit site
I have the Liveryman Arena clippers, they do tend to get very warm and I use A LOT of clipper oil but the quality of the clip is very good....barely any lines with the A2 blades.

I usually get between 5 and 8 full clips out of a set of blades depending on the horses coat.

Casey76

Visit site
I’ve got the liveryman harmony’s, and I could never get a full clip out of one set of blades.

Perhaps they are fine for fine coated horses, but for thick fur... I still use them, but only to do the fiddly bits I can’t do with my heiningers.

Allykat

Visit site
I have the Liveryman Apollo clippers and I had real trouble at first. I have a cob and a TB to clip and actually had more trouble with the fine fluffy TB coat. The blades just seemed to chew their way through and go blunt for no reason. A full clip took hours as they kept heating up. I eventually replaced the tension spring and they got better but I can never get as much out of my blades as others seem to out of theirs.