Living out 24/7

justholdon

Visit site
Hi,

My TB gelding is currently out 24/7 with a field shelter where he has hay and can go inside if he needs to. I'm moving to a different area though and found somewhere that does grass livery for a good price. The cons are that it is further away and there is no field shelter, but the lady said it is sheltered by hedges and trees. I'm going to view it this evening, but was just wondering if anyone else has a horse outdoors all the time in winter and if they think this will be a suitable set up for my horse?

Thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have one that lives out with no man made shelter- she has trees and the wall of a building to get out of the wind. Good rugs and plenty of hay & she's fine. If the yard ticks your other boxes then I wouldn't be put off by it, however I'd ask if there was a box available for use in an emergency?

luckyoldme

Visit site
my horse is of unknown breeding, but does have a tb coat in that its pathetic compared to the other horses in his little herd. he has lived out for four years now with no field shelter, but natural shelter from the hedges and trees. He has never had a problem with the help of decent rugs. I do have access to a stable but he has only had one night in it, he has to be thourally miserable and not well to stay in, other wise he just goes mad in the stable. would say though that we have nt had snow in this time and would bring them in overnight if it was bad snow. He is somewhere in his twenties and I feel its best for him..i think he would stiffen up in the stable.

justholdon

Visit site
Thank you. Mine is 8, and like I said he does live out but with constant access to a shelter which seems a lot nicer but I realise I'm putting a lot of human perspective on that.

The yard does also do stables, but I could find stables for the same price closer to home so I wouldn't keep him at this place and stabled over night if that makes sense?

I will ask though if there is a spare stable in case of emergencies. Thanks for your replies, it's reassuring to know that other horses manage.

luckyoldme

Visit site
mine doesn t just manage, I would say he absolutely thrives on it!
He is with three others on ad lib haylage ..they all come in to get a feed in the morning over the winter, that's just our reference though because we like them to all hae peace and quiet from each other to eat their bait!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know someone who keeps RS ponies out 24/7/365 without man-made shelter. They have a large acreage to roam over, walls and hedges to shelter under and can avoid the worst of the wind by standing in dips in the land. She brings them in to dry off for an hour or so before they are ridden but except for emergencies that is all. They have access to ad-lib forage as well as grass and all are fit and healthy.

Enfys

Visit site
I would be put off by no shelter other than trees and hedges. I like my horses to have the option, even if they choose not to use it, and a shelter is always useful for US wimpy humans to hang things in, cower out of the rain etc. Farriers tend to appreciate some shelter too ;)

My horses all live out 24/7, blankets, ad-lib hay blah, blah, blah, I could probably count the number of times I saw them use the run-in on one hand last winter. Snow is less of a problem than persistant rain, I get snow, quite a bit, and they actually prefer a good amount on the ground, much easier on the feet than frozen or soggy footing.

Some horses are real couch potatoes and love their run-ins, others just couldn't care less. Mine hide from freezing rain but blizzards, wind and snow don't bother them. They were using the trees and wall as shelter here, the shed is 30' away if they had wanted it.
February%202015157_1.jpg

Last edited:

mirage

Visit site
Until 12 months ago,all my ponies lived out with only thick hedges and trees for shelter. They varied in age from 6 to 23. I did build a field shelter for my old girl last year though, as she was 24 then and I wanted to give her the option (she can't be stabled). It took several weeks for her to use the shelter as I think she was worried she'd be shut in,but once she realised that she could come and go as she pleased, she did use it.

SO1

Visit site
My native pony lived out for many years without a field shelter but he did have excellent natural shelter including large hedges and a small woods. Moved yards and he is now in at night which he seems to like as well.

Things to consider are what are the feeding routines and how much grass is there. If you have a TB and his field mates are native ponies for example you may have a bit of issue with feeding ad lib hay if the other liveries don't want to as their ponies don't need so much. I think you need to go and have a look at what the natural shelter is like, what the field mates are like and what their normal routine is with regard to winter feeding.

alibali

Visit site
Along with shelter consider if there is anywhere for them to stand out of the mud. I wouldn't have a problem if the field had lots of natural shelter and was on well draining soil but on clay would be a different matter.......

whizzer

Visit site
Ours have a barn but rarely use it, they seem to prefer the natural shelter of trees,hedges etc that they've got. They congregate in the barn at night but I think that's only because they know it's getting near feed time. They have ad lib hay hung in nets along a fence on a sheltered track & some nets in the barn as well, the nets in the barn are only ever all gone when it's really cold while the nets in the open are always eaten overnight. My poor doing TB wintered out really well last year.

Boulty

Visit site
I'm about to embark on my first winter of him living out. There are several wooded areas and hedges on all sides and the field is huge so plenty of space for them all. When grass dies down yard are going to put big bales of hay in the field for them to share. If he can't cope for any reason I DO have the option of starting paying for a stable though as backup plus there are area I can tie up under cover to groom etc

NZJenny

Visit site
Most horses in New Zealand live out 24/7 all year around, with no man made shelter at all. Mine certainly do - they have shelter and shade from some trees and hedges. My two that are retired are unrugged all year around and have totally rediscovered their inner mud-pig!

Princess16

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 with access to a field shelter but he would rather stand outside with bum to it lol.

I too would agree it's handy for farrier and emergencies and I tend to groom mine in his but as long as there are plenty of hedges/ trees he should be fine not just for bad weather but hot sunny days too.

KVH

Visit site
Mine have all lived out (all TBs bar one) and have thrived on it.
They have access to a field shelter, however I have never seen any of them use it, and in torrential rain/snow they can be found using the natural shelter of the hedges around the perimeter of the field.

HashRouge

Visit site
Our two technically live out 24/7 but their field is very exposed, on the top of a high/ steep hill in the Peak District which has no shelter as it is surrounded by dry stone walls only, no field shelter or trees/ hedges. Our main problem is the wind, as at times in winter it gets so bad you can barely stand and you can't walk into it with your eyes open. When it's like that, our two do come in as it just isn't fair on them. In fact, they barely want to be out for a few hours during the day! Most of the time though, they are fine with heavy rugs on, but we always have to be aware of how little shelter there is. However, if you have lots of trees and hedges, I'd think your horse would be fine. I wish ours did! Unfortunately 24/7 turnout is very uncommon in our area as the soil is deep clay down in the valley, so you have to go higher up where the soil is better draining (but there is less shelter!). Last year we did have field shelter AND trees AND hedges and I absolutely loved it, but I was living in Nottingham then and the horses had to move away when I did.

supsup

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 in similar conditions, and copes fine. I'd have a look at the trees though. If you have a lot of oak and think that acorns may be an issue (and you'd want to fence off the area when acorns are covering the ground), then you might lose your only shelter late in the year when the weather turns. Similarly, consider what shade you will have in summer (direction of sun relative to trees).
I find managing the field in summer actually more problematic. We have to strip graze to keep the ponies slim, and it can take some juggling to make sure the horses still have access to shade and the water trough when on limited grazing.

dollyanna

Visit site
Mine have never had man made shelter, they do like their big trees and tucking in behind hedges. I would second the need for somewhere that isn't going to be mud - either a field big enough for this not to be a problem or a hardstanding area, and I can bring mine in to a yard to have their feet done - I wouldn't want to do that in the field although it can be possible with a large board for them to stand on to keep their feet clean.
Mine always have completely ad lib hay though, and will eat twice as much in wet windy weather than any other.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive always kept mine out 24/7, but Ive also always had an open stable block straight into the field where I leave the doors open so they come and go as they like. This year, I have one horse who is in a seperate field which is lined (and overhung) by thick pine trees which definately offer a good degree of protection, however in the depths of winter I will be bringing the horse into one of the stables mainly just to give him somewhere dry to stand - I'm paranoid about mud fever. I'm also worrying about where I will put a round bale of hay as I dont want him standing about in heaps of mud... these are the practical things you have to consider. I dont worry about how warm the horse is as as long as they're well fed and well rugged, that's not an issue nowadays I dont think (even where I am in NE Scotland). I'm lucky I have the option of stabling though - I'd worry if you didn't, what you would do for the vet (or farrier) - sometimes you just need a stable.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think you would find that they use a field shelter in the summer to get out of the flies. As others have said, it is useful for farrier, grooming, feeding separately, etc. but it is possible to cope without, unless the horse has to be kept in for veterinary reasons.

They do find the best place to stand to get out of the wind and rain,and at least they have the freedom to move around.

molly7886

Visit site
My TB now lives out 24/7. I was really worried his first winter out but he was absolutely happy as Larry. One field where he's stabled has a shelter, the other only has natural hedge/tree fence line. I've only ever seen him in the made shelter in the summer avoiding the flies. In the wet windy weather him and his buddy find a corner to stand in with their backs to the wind and don't bother with the shelter!

happyclappy

Visit site
Hubby has a shire X dartmoor now 26 years old who has lived out without a shelter and minimul hedge/tree shelter for the last 21 years with ill effect, carries plenty of weight even in the hardest winter, last year did not even get hay/haylage, just a small amount of hard feed. It obviously differs from animal to animal.

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine lives out in a herd all year round, with only natural shelter. The herd includes TBs and older horses, who just get rugged sooner than the others. They all get hay in the field in winter, and when they are brought in to be ridden. We have plenty of stables, stalls and yards for the farrier, vet etc. Some do get mud fever and stay in until recovered, but other than that they seem to thrive. Mine would much rather be out in any weather than cooped up in a stable.

huskydamage

Visit site
My 22yr newforest X pony has been living out for a few years now. She is'nt your typical fluffy native. People who see her ask if she has arab in her but I did a thread about it on here once and the general consensus was tb, which would be my guess. She is quite fine. She can be very 'wimpy' in the cold but that's what rugs are for! I also clip her in winter as well. I might bring her in for a blizzard but then again when I tried once and her rug had slipped all her back was wet and shivering, she still ran off! (Hobbling with rug straps around legs!) So that is her mentality she'd rather be out. I have to give her a lot of shortfeed to keep weight on in winter but she is much happier. Stabled she has snotty dust allergy and swollen legs. I also work shifts so this setup is much more practical for me.