Loading - when it doesn't go to plan

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Could be that they're being asked to load in an unfamiliar surrounding with a lot going on, could be that the loader has more adrenaline in their system from having competed or from being excited at having been out, could be that they're less keen when they don't think they're going out to a party as they do when they're at home, could be that they're knackered and don't fancy doing anything else today, could be that they don't want to leave the grass at the show ground, could be that there is so much going on that they don't want to go into the closed in box but want to keep looking around, could be that the loaders are quicker with the pressure when they're conscious that there are lots of people watching your horse be a tit. There are loads of variables.
yup all of these apply I think.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Out of interest does anyone know the psychology behind why horses tend to be more difficult when loading to come home? I don't buy it's because they've had a nice time and don't want to leave - I don't think they reason that way, although willing to be proved wrong.
I've found that on the whole, it's much easier to get a sticky loader straight back on the box after training or competing etc. Literally strip off saddle, load. Deal with any tidying etc after.
Any hanging about chatting, tied up outside with a net or similar, can make a sticky one as sticky as it wants to be.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The oddest one I saw was years ago at a dealer's yard. Owners turned up with a trailer to pick their new horse up. Horse wouldn't load so the dealer unhitched the trailer, put the stands down, opened the window at the front of the trailer and then put a lunge line on the horse which was threaded through the window and tied to the tow bar and they then proceeded to drive off and literally dragged the horse in whilst the new owners stood watching.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:o_O

Caol Ila

Visit site
Ugh, loading. I have so much PTSD about it. At no point in her life has Gypsum ever been a brilliant loader, but when she was young and showing, she would go into a trailer after ten minutes of dancing. I had a huge two horse herring bone trailer with a low step up. When she moved here and I was doing a lot less travelling, and all the trailers and lorries had ramps, she got weirder about it. Not helped by the fact that transport = a yard move or a vet visit. The culmination of this was two hours to get into a trailer when I went to a Mark Rashid clinic, and two hours again to get home from said clinic. I am sure the methods used for getting her to said clinic did not help with the getting home part, or indeed, anything else. The YO's son whacked her on the arse with a lunge whip, and she leapt into the trailer. On the way home, the husband of the YO hosting the clinic used Mark Rashid-esque methods to get her on. No different than what I was doing, to be honest, but he wasn't flustered about it all, so that helped.

Then a few years later when I left the yard, she wanted nothing to do with the transporter's 3.5t lorry. Maybe due to aforesaid lunge whip coercion, she lost her sh1t when she saw any whip like object near her. That's one of those tricks that only works once. Transporter told me to get the vet and sedate. I did. Once high as a kite, she walked straight on. Then because of my yard move clusterf*ck, she had to move two more times in two and a half weeks. Vet showed up with happy drugs each time. It worked, but it was not cheap. And obviously it isn't very practical if you want to ride the horse at your destination.

The reason my youngster won't be with me until March 4th is my great desire for her to not be squashed into a 3.5t as her first transport experience. She will be loaded with an older brother, who has been sold to a lady in Perth, and Eric Gillies will be transporting them in one of their trucks with looseboxes on wheels. Hopefully, this will help her not have too many hang ups about vehicles. Once the groundwork is super established, I'll practice loading her in my friend's 3.5. Having a horse who walks straight into a trailer or lorry without drama would be living the dream.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
One of my sisters ponies was a tricky loader. Refused to load to come home one day. After many hours it was getting dark. Managed to secure the use of a field overnight. Left said pony there. Only had the use of transport the previous day so had to ride the bloody thing home. Fortunately not too far!

Berpisc

Visit site
I agree with you Perigrine about teaching youngsters to load happily as foals/youngsters. I used to do this when I had them. It can catch you out though, I sold a 2 year old many moons ago, did all the stuff with the trailer with him, handled well etc etc.....then took against the trailer that the buyer brought along, making me look a complete liar of course...hed did go on without too much fuss in the end, I suspect the atmosphere and a different trailer might have made him cautious.
I have used a Richard Maxwell halter and groundwork techniques successfully in the past, you have to be careful and good at knowing when to let the horse process what you are asking and set up for a successful outcome.

Spottyappy

Visit site
We had one, who we ended up taking to a Kelly Marks clinic.
this baitch would self load at home but rarely at a venue with out a stand off, often lasting hours.
the last straw came after a show, when everything failed, including riding her into the box (a 7.5t). She stayed at the show venue over night and I had to hack her 8 miles home, the next day, most of that along a main road.
so, off to Kelly she went. The secret was to get her in a corner, and back the lorry to her, then block off the remaining open side. Then,the only Way was up.
we had to carry beach windshields after this, but the method rarely failed us. She had the odd moment, but rarely.
we loaned her out, to a lovely family who subsequently purchased her, knowing the full loading horror story. They blind folded, and also rarely had issues.

Tarragon

Visit site
I took a pony to a general Richard Maxwell clinic, where he made a knotted rope halter which I was allowed to bring back with me. It has turned out to be a very useful bit of kit, especially to help with loading. The pony just seems to know that he needs to behave and resigns himself as soon as he sees it in my hands. It doesn't move on his head like a headcollar can, and applies pressure. Has to be used with care. I also travel mainly on my own so I will attach a long line to the halter, present pony to the ramp, I walk in and wrap rope around the breast bar and then just encourage forward movement and take up the slack. It seems to work

oldie48

Visit site
I took a pony to a general Richard Maxwell clinic, where he made a knotted rope halter which I was allowed to bring back with me. It has turned out to be a very useful bit of kit, especially to help with loading. The pony just seems to know that he needs to behave and resigns himself as soon as he sees it in my hands. It doesn't move on his head like a headcollar can, and applies pressure. Has to be used with care. I also travel mainly on my own so I will attach a long line to the halter, present pony to the ramp, I walk in and wrap rope around the breast bar and then just encourage forward movement and take up the slack. It seems to work
I have this type and my late but rather naughty TB would always load immediately if I used it. He just knew he was beaten.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Odd about the backwards 3.5t comments as all of mine have loved the box, horses are contrary aren't they!

Doodle adored parties so much so would put herself on the box, if I tied her up to the box and it started to rain she would pop herself neatly back in lol. Skylla was the one I was concerned about, she was pretty feral when I bought her so I gave the guy a deposit and said he could have the rest in the morning if she loaded, walked straight in like she was a pro! Think she was happy to come home with me lol, she is fairly claustrophobic and is the reason I'm keeping the box until we are sure she will like the trailer.

D66

Visit site
We had one who was difficult to load to come home, it was as though he couldn't shift his attention away from the other horses/stuff going on to attend to the job of walking up the ramp. It was solved by tickling or touching his shoulder with a long whip while asking him to walk on. Once DD asked a friend to assist with this task and she ran the whip sharply along his side, shoulder to flank, and he shot up the ramp fastest ever. Never had an issue after that, though I wouldnt have done it myself.
Also i have heard that some horses with ulcer issues can be reluctant to load coming home if they havent eaten for a while and consequently have ongoing pain. That would be understandable.

mavandkaz

Visit site
The current two are both great to load - straight up the ramp no bother. It's how I knew there was something wrong with my lad as he started getting sticky and stamping when travelling.

I did have one who would just plant at the bottom of the ramp, and swing his arse around if you put pressure on him.
The fabulous Tarrsteps from here came and did a session with us. All about keeping him straight etc and so the easy option was to go straight up the ramp. Was able to use her techniques and he got better and better.

I was at an RC rally over the summer and family were having an awful time trying to load their Sec D. I went off, did my class and they were still trying when I returned - with four others trying to help. I offered to try, and 5 mins later he was in - just pressure and release, and most importantly not getting angry/impatient. Much easier when it's not your horse!

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine decided she didn't want to come back from a competition once. My husband and I were trying for an hour, with the parking steward laughing at us every so often. Eventually he got a mate, they linked hands behind her, and if she hadn't moved her feet she'd have somersaulted on! The following week I got the lorry out and stood there for an hour using the "tap tap" method. She's not scared, she just plants and says no. After an hour I tapped her a bit harder, she kicked out once and went straight on. Had a feed on the lorry, went up and down a couple more times then stopped for the day. The following week she got fed on the lorry again. Since then, as long as I have my whip (the magic wand) she's never been a problem. I do have my dually headcollar and lungeline permanently on the lorry though, just in case.....

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
I had one who would load without hesitation, but then reverse straight out again. Every. Single. Time. Tying him up at lightning speed didn’t work as he would just break the rope on the way out.
As I was usually on my own with nobody to put the breach bar up for me this got pretty frustrating.
So I ended up teaching him to load ahead of me while I stayed on the ramp to whip the bar up before he could select reverse gear.
Luckily he never worked out how to get around that one.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Took a friend, whoes trailer needed fixing, to a dressage comp in my nearly new 3:5 ton BOSS lorry. Never had a horse not go into it, well horse went in at yard, bit reluctant, but after 30 min gave a sigh and walked on. I drove so carefully..After the competition, it was dark.. And the bugger refused to load, After a few hours, and it was near 11 pm. The competition site made him a stable, we left him there at a nominal charge, and next day they brought him back to us in a 16 ton lorry?? apparently, he walked in like an angel, It cost my friend £130 with nights stable and delivery. I never offered again

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Rosie was a very tricky loader for a while. Once took us 4 hours and a lost shoe to load her, and another time she reared and came down on the ramp so hard she put her foot through it. We got her to a place where she was fine with going in lorries, but was very suspicious of trailers, she was usually fine with “her” trailer if you loaded her in the way she liked. But she was definitely one there was no forcing, she’d just stand there, then suddenly decide it was fine and walk straight on. Always travelled like a dream (other than stamping at traffic lights), it was just the getting in there. I remember one day after hunting she had to go home in someone else’s trailer (long story), and she wasn’t having it, but ended up with two of the huntsmen basically just physically lifting her in :oops:

Henry loves lorries and like MPs horse will try and load himself into other peoples lorries at shows ? he used to be fine with trailers too but he had a few bad travelling experiences before we figured out he doesn’t travel well with partitions in. He’s mostly ok now if you give him time, but sometimes he will get a bit funny. Will always go in for about 10 pony nuts in a bucket though, ruled by his stomach...

tiga71

Visit site
Two of mine are great to load. Izzy like to mess about for a few minutes if there is an audience or a lot of grass to be eaten. We had a blowout on the A27 once and Floyd had to get off while they changed the tyre, with motorway shut. We managed to unload, change tyre, load back up and signal to the police to let traffic go in 7.5 minutes. The tyre chap used to pit stop at Brand's Hatch. I was so relieved to have a good loader.

My third horse, Tiggs, was a project I took on to give him one last chance. He had been loaded for a long time with a chifney, dually head collar and lunge line. He had lots of anxiety issues but loading was a big issue too. It has taken us 9 months to get him loading and travelling calmly. I didn't work on it continuously over the 9 months as other stuff was happening. I used lots of approach and retreat, making sure I kept him under threshold. We got to the stage of travelling to different places for lessons and then lockdown happened so that has put us on hold with it. I have no doubt he will become a good loader but I think it will take a lot of positive experiences before it is as easy as with the other two.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I did have to do a two day hack to move yards with Granny horse once. That was fun. Because she wouldn't load and we had to leave. She was such a good hack though. I think her previous owner had done a lot of hacking to and from pony club things when loading failed. ?

Equi

Visit site
Back in the stone age when I was much younger and smaller I had a pony on loan but it refused to load. I was close to home so ended up walking lol but to take it back I needed the trailer. Spent ages trying to get it on to no avail. My neighbour pops in for some reason goes near the pony and says get on NOW! and the thing did. That was the day I learned about being more assertive with my voice ?

Not sure this one counts really but my friend and I had gone to lift two minis who’s owner had died and no one in the family knew anything about horses - the mumma was fine we caught her and walked her on, the filly (who was now four and NOT handled) had to be corralled then lifted in cause she would nooooot be lead. Turns out owner had died like 3 years ago and the ponies just ran wild with a herd of goats ?

Visit site
Baron is a perfect loader, but his full brother Duke who my yard owner owns is a total non loader, apparently he had an accident on the journey back from weaning and has never loaded since ?

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I once saw an Intelligent Horsemanship trainer load a horse at a show. It was the end of the day and everyone was tired so he asked 6 strong blokes to simply lift the horse in to the lorry!! :eek::D I think the horse was so surprised it didn't object!

My old cob was sometimes hesitant but if I sighed and told him it was a long hack home he would go in straight away. He didn't like dressage and once at a competition he loaded himself into the lorry straight after the first test. A couple of people nearby were trying to coax their horse into a box while we were yelling at mine to get back out again!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had an ex racer who wouldn't load if people tried to come and "help" if she stood for a minute or two at the bottom of the ramp. I had to ride her home one day. Luckily it was only 5 miles. It was a devil of a job to get people at shows to go away and stop trying to help me load her!

Spotherisk

Visit site
Tinner always struggled, although we did a fair amount of practice from a yearling. We had a 510 and he very quickly learnt to go up into the bar. We’d only travelled half a mile one day (first show) when he went onto the bar, we were both in with him trying to push him back which didn’t work. We ended up dropping both ramps and he went over head one way and legs the other, I actually thought he’d broken his neck but no scrabbled up and we walked home. Not a scratch on him.

we spent a lot of time practising and had some spectacularly long hacks home (15 miles in blazing sun, after a show so horses were tired as OH came with me, two dual carriageway crossings and ended up riding through an organised picnic with so many children!, and one alone in the dark!) but he never settled and got worse. I led him to our new home 18 months ago, sedation hadn’t worked at all, it was a 12 mile walk in the rain with a friend and her two dogs. Luckily the last mile was done sat on OH’s tailgate with Tinner trotting behind!

A year ago the vet diagnosed (many things but including) suspensories weakening. We had wondered for a long time if his loading and stabling issues were neurological, there were definite issues with him for many years after AM then toxic laminitis.

Baccara

Visit site
The comment by Spotherisk re suspensories and other physical problems rings true with me regarding loading. I had a horse who would load for several months then stop when his hocks where due for medication. I wonder if that is a problem, that loading, especially up a steep ramp and travelling becomes painfully for horses and they associate lorries with pain?

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
My husband is a professional trainer and one of his services is loading training. He is very good at it, and offers a lifetime guarantee so that if he has trained your horse to load fuss free and it then has challenges thereafter loading he will return and retrain.

A couple of years ago he purchased a yearling colt that had minimal handling. I was furious as it was an unapproved purchase. He then had the audacity to ask me to come with him to collect it. I thought there was zero chance this colt was going to go on the trailer.

My job was to engage the batshit crazy breeder in conversation so that she didn’t offer my husband “help” or “suggestions”. He quietly worked with the horse in the field in a headcollar, teaching him to lead. He spent about 45mins doing this calmly and quietly. He took the head collar off, put the horse back in the field and asked the breeder for a cup of tea. He thought the horse needed a break.

After a cup of tea, he recaught the horse and led him straight onto the trailer. He then took him off again, then on again, off again etc. His theory was provided the colt could handle this mentally, it was best to teach him straight away that loading was a stressfree extension of leading.

His logic was, if this was the horses first interaction with his new owner and the horse was nervous or frightened and then forced into a trailer then everything thereafter was going to be harder For both of them. So he spent the time there and then to train him.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I had an ex racer who wouldn't load if people tried to come and "help" if she stood for a minute or two at the bottom of the ramp. I had to ride her home one day. Luckily it was only 5 miles. It was a devil of a job to get people at shows to go away and stop trying to help me load her!

I always (or nearly) refuse help. However last year after a fun ride I relented. I had been trying for 1 and a half hours, every one was leaving and in the end I had to accept help. One on the front and 2 pushing him in, he gave up, and went in.

Brownmare

Visit site
I had one like that too (also a tb mare!!) but when I was pregnant and not working her she got so bored she would try and drag me up the ramp of the YOs lorry if it was down when we walked past to the field ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My husband is a professional trainer and one of his services is loading training. He is very good at it, and offers a lifetime guarantee so that if he has trained your horse to load fuss free and it then has challenges thereafter loading he will return and retrain.

A couple of years ago he purchased a yearling colt that had minimal handling. I was furious as it was an unapproved purchase. He then had the audacity to ask me to come with him to collect it. I thought there was zero chance this colt was going to go on the trailer.

My job was to engage the batshit crazy breeder in conversation so that she didn’t offer my husband “help” or “suggestions”. He quietly worked with the horse in the field in a headcollar, teaching him to lead. He spent about 45mins doing this calmly and quietly. He took the head collar off, put the horse back in the field and asked the breeder for a cup of tea. He thought the horse needed a break.

After a cup of tea, he recaught the horse and led him straight onto the trailer. He then took him off again, then on again, off again etc. His theory was provided the colt could handle this mentally, it was best to teach him straight away that loading was a stressfree extension of leading.

His logic was, if this was the horses first interaction with his new owner and the horse was nervous or frightened and then forced into a trailer then everything thereafter was going to be harder For both of them. So he spent the time there and then to train him.

People always seem shocked that the first thing I do when teaching a horse to load that has got into the transport (and is calm) is take it off again. They don't seem to realise you've achieved almost nothing until you can reliably repeat it, and it's the second and third loadings that really seal things.

I'm thinking I need your husband's number if I'm ever looking for training help, he sounds wonderful!

Supertrooper

Visit site
When my boy returned to WHW in April I was worried as he wasn’t a good traveller. Guy I used was very experienced, pony planted half way up ramp, he said does he kick, I said no. He then went round each leg lifting it forward and before pony realised he was on