Loan doubts

smellsofhorse

Visit site
You need to have a detailed talk with this person.
Find out if the actual owner knows about this loaner reloaning their horse.

If you were originally looking to buyyoy could go to owner and make an offer.
But now you have found out about lameness and possible sarcoids then you have a few options.

Either go ahead with loan knowing you will haved to give horse back.
But that any issues are ultimately down to owner.

Or walk away now.
Or speak to actual owner about buying.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I've spoken to a few people including my YO and they've all suggested I walk away as they feel if she lied about the ownership for so long what else has she lied about. Horse is also not the confidence giver I was told she was and whilst her quirks are well within my ability I don't actually enjoy riding her that much but kept telling myself it was just teething issues.

I still haven't heard what the vet's verdict was but when I do hear I think I will be explaining that unfortunately this isn't the sort of agreement I'm looking for and continue my hunt for something more suitable and less complicated.

kizmund

Visit site
Well done, a horse that you don't enjoy costs the same as one you do enjoy! And I think your happiness rubs off on them and makes them happier and more content x

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
My best friend used to full loan her horse through another full loan of the horse (if that makes sense). Actual owner of the horse was never around and didn't even know where the horse was eventually stabled (she just didn't particularly care). But then she knew horse was in extremely good hands as first full loaner was a good friend. Horse has practically been my friends for the past 7 years, and will be until the end.

I get that the above is very rare though and I personally wouldn't full loan a horse through someone who isn't even the owner!! It could all go horribly wrong! ...Plus, if you're uncomfortable you have every right to back out now! You haven't signed a contract, and you're not obliged to take on this horse! Don't put your money (and having horses is expensive) into something you're not 100% happy with!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've known a couple of situations where a loan of a loan occurred. One was a loan of a loan of a loan (original owner had moved to South Africa I think). Mare had a fab couple of homes and was 29 when she was PTS.

I would say if you aren't keen then the loaner has until September to rearrange or return horse to owner which is plenty of time.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
If I had loaned my horse out to someone and they then loaned it out again, I can safely say I would be heading down to pick my horse out straight away!

The real owners have no clue what you are like, and im sure you are good, which is why youre worried, but they haven't selected you as the person they wish to care for their horse, so I can not see how they could be happy with the situation? unless they are complete fools?

sorry, but I would back out now! why spend all your money through the winter on someone elses horse, when you can go out and find the perfect horse for yourself!?

maree t

Visit site
Hi, another word of warning I am afraid. A friend loaned a pony for her daughter from another local lady that they knew wasnt the owner. The daughter has given up and no longer rides so they tried to contact the owner. The person they got the mare from said the owner doesnt want her back so have her PTS if you dont want her . She is a 23 year old games pony with cushings and laminitis. They cant face having her put down as with good management she is happy pottering around the field so they are paying the vets bills and have had to take on full responsibility . They still dont know who actually owns her.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Hi, another word of warning I am afraid. A friend loaned a pony for her daughter from another local lady that they knew wasnt the owner. The daughter has given up and no longer rides so they tried to contact the owner. The person they got the mare from said the owner doesnt want her back so have her PTS if you dont want her . She is a 23 year old games pony with cushings and laminitis. They cant face having her put down as with good management she is happy pottering around the field so they are paying the vets bills and have had to take on full responsibility . They still dont know who actually owns her.

Thats terrible.
Talk about not taking responsibility.

Very nice of your friends to give this pony the care and treatment it deserves.

Kaylum

Visit site
A girl I know loaned a horse and it had a lump on its knee. She never thought anything of it when she started loaning him. He went lame and she was responsible for the vets fees and it was something to do with the knee. The owner denied that he had been lame before. So my advice is to anyone loaning get the horse vetted.

So walk away. When things start to get complicated and the story starts to twist and turn you know things aren't right.