Loan with view to buy

BSL2

Visit site
Its how I got my lad. Owned him for 14 years now. He was a four year old just backed. I commenced lwvtb in the August. For the first month I thought " oh goodness what have I done?". I then couldn't bear the thought of him been taken away. My darling husband arranged to buy him, without my knowing and gifted him to me the following Christmas. Turned up at the yard christmas day. My boy was standing there with a red ribbon around his neck. Yes it can work.?❤️

Cob Life

Visit site
Its how I got my lad. Owned him for 14 years now. He was a four year old just backed. I commenced lwvtb in the August. For the first month I thought " oh goodness what have I done?". I then couldn't bear the thought of him been taken away. My darling husband arranged to buy him, without my knowing and gifted him to me the following Christmas. Turned up at the yard christmas day. My boy was standing there with a red ribbon around his neck. Yes it can work.?❤️
I’ve done it in both directions.

I think works well to ensure a quirky / mid to late teens horse finds the right home.

Not sure I’d do it with a young / uncomplicated horse.
I’d like to buy however have only shared, never owned/loaned and although I’m a very competent rider and can handle a lot my nerves are my biggest downfall and I’m very cautious that I don’t want to over horse myself

ponynutz

Visit site
Had the opportunity to a while back. Parents chose not to do it mainly because the deal struck up said loan could be removed at any time - as in they were vetting us to be good to buy rather than us vetting the horse. As I was young at the time my parents decided not to given it could likely end in tears.

I'd do it now if I had commitments I knew would settle down in the future or wanted to test the horse before buying.

Umbongo

Visit site
I think they can work well for buyers, although very hard to find as many sellers won't want a potentially ruined horse (either from injury or training) coming back to them and being worth less than before.

Most LWVTB I have come across are to help sell quirky horses. Most younger uncomplicated horses always sell very well and a LWVTB may not be required by the seller unless they want to be sure about the future owner or want to make sure their horse settles in a new home, new rider etc.

You would need to have a very clear set of rules in place for if the horse gets injured whilst in your care, who is liable for what etc.

MissTyc

Visit site
I would but would prefer for horse to stay on current yard until the decision is made. I think it works when you don't *need* to sell the horse and are happy to keep it and/or it's a tricky horse not to everyone's taste!

Last edited:

Leandy

Visit site
I’d like to buy however have only shared, never owned/loaned and although I’m a very competent rider and can handle a lot my nerves are my biggest downfall and I’m very cautious that I don’t want to over horse myself

You will cut yourself out of the market for a lot of very suitable, genuine horses if you insist on a LWVTB. Put yourself in the sellers shoes, why would they let you have an extended trial period with the risk of you damaging their horse or undoing its training when they could just sell to a good home in what is a bouyant market. There needs to be something in it for the seller eg to sell on a quirky horse which would otherwise be difficult to sell, or an older one with some manageable health issues. So I'd say that a LWVTB is unlikely to suit you as it will likely only be horses with issues that are available that way. Straightforward horses are not usually available on a LWVTB.

spacefaer

Visit site
I'd never offer it. Too high risk and no guarantee that the loaner will actually come up with the money at the end of the trial period, during which time your horse is off the market for other potential buyers.
The market is too strong at the moment for a nice straightforward horse to be available on LWVTB

Bellaboo18

Visit site
You will cut yourself out of the market for a lot of very suitable, genuine horses if you insist on a LWVTB. Put yourself in the sellers shoes, why would they let you have an extended trial period with the risk of you damaging their horse or undoing its training when they could just sell to a good home in what is a bouyant market. There needs to be something in it for the seller eg to sell on a quirky horse which would otherwise be difficult to sell, or an older one with some manageable health issues. So I'd say that a LWVTB is unlikely to suit you as it will likely only be horses with issues that are available that way. Straightforward horses are not usually available on a LWVTB.
This.

Fieldlife

Visit site

Agree with this. Unless you are looking for an older horse. Some owners of older horses will LWVTB especially if they are hoping will be horse's last home. It was one of the reasons I let a 16 year old go on LWVTB for 5 months. Loan ending end of January. a) five months is a good time to work out if horse is a good fit. b) someone who is willing to buy a horse on loan at the end of January must be pretty committed. Worked out well.

Kaylum

Visit site
Horse went out on loan/trial was perfect at home he went to my friend and was a total stress head. This was a 5 star home and she knew him very well had ridden him tonnes of times. He came back to me and the minute his hoof hit the yard he was perfect again, so it is extremely difficult sometimes. I did manage to get him a nice home in the end. It seemed to be his surroundings at my friends. He just could not settle. If he had been going to the same place be sold blind he would have been a misold horse. So glad he went on loan first.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve done it in various forms more than once, always successful (so far). It’s not without risk obviously and you need to be able to assess people and situations well, plus be prepared to communicate and take responsibility.

I’ve sold 3 on LWVTB - two quirky, one adorable and I was picky where he went. All 3 stayed in their homes for life.

I took on a loan of a valuable competition horse from her breeder and after 12 months bought 50%.

I currently have my extremely valuable 6yo homebred eventer out on loan and they have the option to purchase 50% after 12 months.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I think LWVTB would be the best option for you. When some people are selling (in my experience so far) they really up play the horses good points and really down play the bad things, like they just want the sale and not to get the right home (these are private sellers). I think next time I get a horse this is the only way I’ll do it. Had too many bad experiences now

WelshD

Visit site
I’ve just loaned out ponies as a simple loan.
One a couple of years ago and they did ask to buy.
one recently. If those people ask to buy I’d consider it but there is no pressure.
but if money isn’t a big motivator I’d rather send them out on loan and if I get asked to sell then I can consider it then.
less pressure for people to come up with cash.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've got one on loan currently that (i think) would be the sort you'd LVWTB. he's well bred, a bit squiffy in his head and has a large sarcoid. I am happy to continue loaning and owner specifically said she didn't want to sell. but to me he's the right sort for that kind of arrangement. i very much doubt i could afford him though unfortunately even if she changed her mind!

irishdraft

Visit site
I've just sold an older Connie and had about 3 people wanting lwvtb, one was the first person to call me so I said no and was immediately accused of only being interested in the money & not the home. I wouldn't have entertained it anyway too much risk and I'm not sure the theory that people who want to do this offer any better homes than people who are prepared to vet & buy.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i had a lot of people wanting lwvtb for my just backed 4yo as well. erm... no. higher than average risk of getting a ruined young horse handed back. There are just a lot of chancers out there, i suppose they think if you don't ask, you don't get. Same with the people asking for payment plans or making ridiculously low offers.

Cob Life

Visit site
i had a lot of people wanting lwvtb for my just backed 4yo as well. erm... no. higher than average risk of getting a ruined young horse handed back. There are just a lot of chancers out there, i suppose they think if you don't ask, you don't get. Same with the people asking for payment plans or making ridiculously low offers.

thanks all, I don’t think I’d insist on LWVTB if I really thought it was the right fit, however I would like to try more than once.

I’m generally quite good at telling early on what horses i will get on with, my instructors horse I knew the moment I sat on him that although he’s an angel, he’s not my sort of horse. Another one I’m riding is nowhere near an angel (and took off bucking with me when I tried him!) but we get on like a house on fire!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Agreed that it's often only available for quirky/older horses. I know someone who agreed this for her horse- he'd been cut late and was quite a sensitive type. At the end of the year, they only wanted to offer her half of what they'd agreed to pay, so the owner took him back instead. He'd had a dodgy haircut in his time away, which meant he couldn't be turned out to type/shown- which isn't a huge deal but nonetheless annoying.

This time of year, equally, you've got people who just want a loan for the summer, haven't you? And will hand back in the winter when the going gets tough.

I also think, with horse prices sky high, LWVTB might indicate that someone doesn't actually have the funds to buy the horse but is hoping to try and save them up during the loan- which seems unlikely.

For the seller, the risk is quite high, so I agree that a lot of sellers won't bother for your average horse. It's also difficult for one horse owners on livery, as what happens if the horse is handed back?

As others have said, as a buyer you're severely restricting yourself. Buying is difficult, and I do think the market has slowed enough that you'd probably be able to try more than once now, but equally a lot of people will view trying more than twice as time wasting, so it is very difficult.

I think in terms of overhorsing yourself, it's always better to underhorse yourself for a first horse.

Cob Life

Visit site
Agreed that it's often only available for quirky/older horses. I know someone who agreed this for her horse- he'd been cut late and was quite a sensitive type. At the end of the year, they only wanted to offer her half of what they'd agreed to pay, so the owner took him back instead. He'd had a dodgy haircut in his time away, which meant he couldn't be turned out to type/shown- which isn't a huge deal but nonetheless annoying.

This time of year, equally, you've got people who just want a loan for the summer, haven't you? And will hand back in the winter when the going gets tough.

I also think, with horse prices sky high, LWVTB might indicate that someone doesn't actually have the funds to buy the horse but is hoping to try and save them up during the loan- which seems unlikely.

For the seller, the risk is quite high, so I agree that a lot of sellers won't bother for your average horse. It's also difficult for one horse owners on livery, as what happens if the horse is handed back?

As others have said, as a buyer you're severely restricting yourself. Buying is difficult, and I do think the market has slowed enough that you'd probably be able to try more than once now, but equally a lot of people will view trying more than twice as time wasting, so it is very difficult.

I think in terms of overhorsing yourself, it's always better to underhorse yourself for a first horse.
I’m in the position where I’d be looking for maybe end of September/October.
I wouldn’t take the mick and try 4 or 5 times but Id like to try twice.

I would ask my instructors advice on everything as she knows my capabilities (and always tells me im a better rider than I think i am!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I’m in the position where I’d be looking for maybe end of September/October.
I wouldn’t take the mick and try 4 or 5 times but Id like to try twice.

I would ask my instructors advice on everything as she knows my capabilities (and always tells me im a better rider than I think i am!

I think it's totally valid to want to view twice, and take your instructor at least once BUT unless the market has slowed a lot, you may find your choices are limited even by that- which sucks, and it's not great for horses, either.

Cob Life

Visit site
I think it's totally valid to want to view twice, and take your instructor at least once BUT unless the market has slowed a lot, you may find your choices are limited even by that- which sucks, and it's not great for horses, either.
I’m quite small so I’m ideally looking under 16hh, but would consider anything from 14 to 16.2 hh, so I’m hoping that will give me a few more options.
I can and have ridden bigger however I’m not confident in dealing with them if they were to play up

k1994

Visit site
I was ‘that person’ who saw a horse for sale and asked the seller for a LWVTB (hear that’s every sellers biggest pet peeve..oops!)

she was very quirky and owner was struggling to find an adult wanting a 13.3 quirky pony, so she did ask me a lot of questions about what I was looking for, the type of home I can provide ect. Was very honest and she ended up offering me a 6 month LWVTB, bought her after 5 months and had her 4 years now best thing that’s ever happened to me means the world to me, and still stay in touch with the owner who is very happy with her progress and life!

defiantly not saying message every horse for sale asking for a lwvtb, but if you find a perfect fit/have the full amount of money for the horse already/put a contract in place/tell them before even viewing that is what you want so you don’t waste their time, it can work for both parties in my experience at least. This was with a £500 rescue/troubled pony though!

Cob Life

Visit site
My other option would be a loan obviously however I could be in this position next year where I have put a lot of time and work into a horse and have it taken away a year later.

I’m happy to ride and school green horses and it doesn’t need to be a world beater, it just needs to be sane, I’d like to do dressage and showing so doesnt need to be an amazing jumper

MissMay

Visit site
I did it with a pony benefited both of us.

The parents weren't horsey and didn't want to pay out for daughter to loose interest once novelty wore off.
For me that pony was getting valuable hours with small jockey and plenty of pony Clun and pony camps so was gonna be easier to sell if needed.

however, pony was kept with the local DC and her children were riding him once a week to keep him sweet plus lessons fot the girl.

She bought him a year later

Leandy

Visit site
My other option would be a loan obviously however I could be in this position next year where I have put a lot of time and work into a horse and have it taken away a year later.

I’m happy to ride and school green horses and it doesn’t need to be a world beater, it just needs to be sane, I’d like to do dressage and showing so doesnt need to be an amazing jumper

Honestly, just keep looking to buy outright, but take your time. Ones which come through word of mouth from known contacts are likely to be the holy grail you are looking for rather than those already on the open market. Get asking around through your friends, friends of friends, local trainers, riding clubs, pony clubs etc. You want to find out about ones not already on the open market, then you have more time to find out if they are suitable and can find out a much better verifiable idea of their background. Find ones you can try and see ridden a number of times in a number of situations. Find one which is reliably doing now what you want to do with it. Not ones on a wish and a prayer. Genuine horses like this are very unlikely to be available on LWVTB terms, although you may get a small trial if you ask with them staying at their current yard. Starting to talk about LWVTB will really put off genuine sellers of genuine horses. There are always people who will tell you they have done it successfully but this is not the way most honest horses change hands.

Cob Life

Visit site
Honestly, just keep looking to buy outright, but take your time. Ones which come through word of mouth from known contacts are likely to be the holy grail you are looking for rather than those already on the open market. Get asking around through your friends, friends of friends, local trainers, riding clubs, pony clubs etc. You want to find out about ones not already on the open market, then you have more time to find out if they are suitable and can find out a much better verifiable idea of their background. Find ones you can try and see ridden a number of times in a number of situations. Find one which is reliably doing now what you want to do with it. Not ones on a wish and a prayer. Genuine horses like this are very unlikely to be available on LWVTB terms, although you may get a small trial if you ask with them staying at their current yard. Starting to talk about LWVTB will really put off genuine sellers of genuine horses. There are always people who will tell you they have done it successfully but this is not the way most honest horses change hands.
It’s not something I’d ever ask for as can 100% understand why most sellers don’t want to!

once I’m seriously looking I’ll get my instructor and friends to keep their ears open