Loaning and sharing expectations in different countries

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Yeah I'm really feeling not sure about it. The kid is 12, and yes her mother would be around, and her lesson on him would be the same pro who rides him/teaches me. He's been out competing and winning with the pro at the 60/70cm height but fairly lightly. And no I'm not at all sure I want him jumping that much, that's probably my biggest concern.
My problem is I don't have any facilities, he's kept at home and all his work is done next door in the neighbours /pros arena. And we don't have hacking without boxing (and that is very limited, 1 bridle trail, perth is pretty crap for hacking). So I don't feel like I can advertise for a share unless I moved him to a livery yard or something. Not sure what to do.

12 years old is very young. They may be a great rider but not old enough to make the right choice about how much is too much. A pushy parent and instructor won't help.

Plus with the instructor also being involved, it feels like they could take over and you be outnumbered and pushed aside.

There are people who don't want to hack and would be happy with riding in the school. With next door would they let another sharer use their arena.

The yard in London where I shared had dozens of sharers had very limited hacking and it didn't put people off.

If you don't want him jumped much then say so. In your shoes I would put together a list of what they can do. Write it down and take it on Monday so you don't forget or get sidetracked.

Possible options but decide on your own limitations

Only occasional competitions each to be agreed in advance with you, maybe once a month at most
No jumping more than xxx height
Jumping max 1 time per week or fortnight.
Would prefer adult sharer on liability grounds.

It's not a bad thing to sit down and think about what you want for your horse longterm and then stand up for this.

KEK

Visit site
12 years old is very young. They may be a great rider but not old enough to make the right choice about how much is too much. A pushy parent and instructor won't help.

Plus with the instructor also being involved, it feels like they could take over and you be outnumbered and pushed aside.

There are people who don't want to hack and would be happy with riding in the school. With next door would they let another sharer use their arena.

The yard in London where I shared had dozens of sharers had very limited hacking and it didn't put people off.

If you don't want him jumped much then say so. In your shoes I would put together a list of what they can do. Write it down and take it on Monday so you don't forget or get sidetracked.

Possible options but decide on your own limitations

Only occasional competitions each to be agreed in advance with you, maybe once a month at most
No jumping more than xxx height
Jumping max 1 time per week or fortnight.
Would prefer adult sharer on liability grounds.

It's not a bad thing to sit down and think about what you want for your horse longterm and then stand up for this.
Thank you for your thoughts, they seem very sensible.
Not sure if she would let another person ride in arena, maybe if they paid hire fees but she charges quite a lot, $50\hour.
He's a traditional shorter legged/solid type of Connie (we don't have the sports version over here) so no I don't want his legs jumped off. Ideally I think he wouldn't have to have a share but he gets overweight easily and got lami after a steroid inj and then vet said needs more exercise :/
The other option would be to sell :(

Trinket12

Visit site
Yet strangely, I understand that leasing (paying to borrow) very ordinary horses is normal in the US. Tell your friends to think of it as a "part lease".
Same here in Canada. I have a leaser for both of mine, no chores expected but that’s because they’re on full board. I think cost wise it’s a little more than say a normal lesson horse, but they have more flexibility of when they can ride, and also able to ride outside of a lesson.