Loaning to Hartpury

Eleanor2003

Visit site
I'm hoping to send my horse down to Hartpury in September as I will be going to university down there but after all the horror stories, I'm absolutely petrified!

He's by no means the finished product so I feel he does need to become well- rounded in jumping/dressage/hacking which I cant give while at university so if I didn't send him to Hartpury it would be to training livery- which from my research is about £300 per week in this area of the country! Aka I wouldn't be able to afford that. So Hartpury seems like a good alternative where they have said I will be able to ride on a Saturday but he will also be schooled and used with the higher level riders. He's an 8YO 16.3 ID so fairly kind like most of the breed however he does need the education so after hearing the fairly polarised reviews, I'm stuck!

Lots of people have said it's about the temperament of the horse but what is the temperament that flourishes being loaned to the University? I'm guessing being used to a busy environment is one so luckily we are on a yard where there are lots of competitions on - at least once a week.

My mums horse went there years ago- was very happy there and they loved him but he was much more educated...

Arzada

Visit site
Without getting into whether I would send my horse to Hartpury or any other college (I wouldn't) are you happy to ride your horse on one day a week only? What other options have you looked into?

TheMule

Visit site
No recent experience but my horse went there years ago as a stage 4 schoolmaster and I was very happy with his care

Starzaan

Visit site
I used to manage a big yard near hartpury. A large proportion of my liveries were horses whose owners had loaned them to hartpury and then yanked them out because they were so unhappy with the way their horses were looked after.
Please be aware your horse won’t get ANY turnout for months on end. In my opinion that is completely inexcusable.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'll add to the advice not to do it. I sold a lovely tempered little horse to a girl who took him to Hartpury back in about 2000. They phoned me a few months later and asked me to buy him back because his temperament had turned very nasty. I went over to see him and looked at my lovely kind little horse grazing quietly in the field, spoke to him and he was fine. I told them that it was obviously the way he had been kept, and to sell him if they couldn't avoid taking him back to college with them.

To be fair to them, they did. I don't know what that place did to turn one of the sweetest creatures I'd ever known so nasty that the college sent him home, but I'd never recommend sending another.

jnb

Visit site
If you would consider a smaller equine college, Walford is near me and the horses do have turnout, overnight in summer in small groups - I know one of the lecturers personally and despite being the most paranoid owner known to man, she is someone I would trust if I absolutely had to put my horse on this type of livery/loan.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't do it either a friend of mine has one on working livery at a college very local to me and although I have heard they get very good care, she has had nothing but issues since the horse has been there it's been lame a lot as well.

I just wouldn't be happy not knowing who is actually riding my horse and having no control over it.

wren123

Visit site
I wouldn't do it either. I'd worry about the standard of riding, about my horse being over jumped and ridden too much in a school.
Could you find a grass livery either near your home or near your university and just ride him occasionally for three years.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I'm hoping to send my horse down to Hartpury in September as I will be going to university down there but after all the horror stories, I'm absolutely petrified!

He's by no means the finished product so I feel he does need to become well- rounded in jumping/dressage/hacking which I cant give while at university so if I didn't send him to Hartpury it would be to training livery- which from my research is about £300 per week in this area of the country! Aka I wouldn't be able to afford that. So Hartpury seems like a good alternative where they have said I will be able to ride on a Saturday but he will also be schooled and used with the higher level riders. He's an 8YO 16.3 ID so fairly kind like most of the breed however he does need the education so after hearing the fairly polarised reviews, I'm stuck!

Lots of people have said it's about the temperament of the horse but what is the temperament that flourishes being loaned to the University? I'm guessing being used to a busy environment is one so luckily we are on a yard where there are lots of competitions on - at least once a week.

My mums horse went there years ago- was very happy there and they loved him but he was much more educated...

Hartpury really isn't in the business of schooling horses for free, by providing 'higher level riders' (what is a higher level incidentally?).
If he's not well-schooled in jumping/dressage and even hacking - then he's not going to get on well there. The reason they borrow horses is for students to learn on - some of the students are world-class level riders, but some can only just rise to the trot.
And there is no turnout (or at best extremely limited) in the winter months because there are 210 or so stables, and the fields are clay, with a high rainfall.

Why don't you take him to one of the nearby yards (assuming you are going to either Hartpury or the Uni of Glos) and just enjoy him. Being a student is not that full time or taxing, to prevent you riding, schooling, enjoying your own horse.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yep there are many yards close to hartpury and I echo the comments above that it would be better to put the horse there and ride him yourself when you are not studying. Unlike Hartpury itself there's generally decent year round TO. I think i'd be getting a wriggle on to get a space though.

ponynutz

Visit site
Being a student is not that full time or taxing, to prevent you riding, schooling, enjoying your own horse.

Being a student myself I'd argue it is that time consuming especially when you consider the social aspect of uni and there's so much change going on often for the first few weeks it's best just to accept the social life, find friends so you can all cope with how stressful uni (and adulting on your own for the first time) is together. Nothing worse than feeling lonely or excluded at uni and I'd worry such a time consuming hobby could make that a reality.
That being said I am a music student which means a lot of my course takes place in extra curricular activites so maybe all of that won't go for everyone.
This would also only work if you could afford the bus travel there every day, or had your own car, or it was close enough to cycle.

That all being said after reading people's experiences I'd cycle for hours every evening rather than keep my horse at Hartbury.

Umbongo

Visit site
I was at Hartpury about 15 years ago so things might have changed then.....

But the horses are ridden by all standards of rider. If your horse is kind natured then expect him to be used for novices quite often. The instructors left a lot to be desired. Lots of school work, jumping and no hacking. No turnout in the winter and only a short time during the day in the summer as there were too many horses for the land and had to go on a grazing rota. Horse must be used to very busy environments. I personally would not have kept my horse there, but some do and the horses are fine. Every time a new load of horses came at the start of a new academic year, a few would end up being sent home as they didn't settle well or the owners were unhappy with their care. You would have to be prepared that it may not work out and make some alternative arrangements.

I did once loan a young horse that had been used at a smaller equine college and her schooling had gone backwards there, she was so wonky from being used by novice riders for such a long time.

Lots of people I know kept their horses on local DIY yards or on the Hartpury DIY yard. I managed to loan a green 5 year old and ride 5 days a week, whilst also studying and having 2 part time jobs so it is do-able. If you wanted a sharer there would probably be loads of good riders studying there that can't afford their own horse.

I would agree with ponynutz re: the social aspects of having a horse on DIY whilst you are at uni. It is nice to not have the responsibility so you can focus on going out, building relationships, extra curricular activities, studying etc. Hartpury is however a bit different to most uni's though as so many of the students have horses and I didn't feel that I got that normal uni experience. In my 1st year I didn't have a horse and almost felt left out because everyone in my halls went off to the yards to do their horses in their free time....it was a bit weird!

Last edited:

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

That all being said after reading people's experiences I'd cycle for hours every evening rather than keep my horse at Hartbury.

It's Hartpury with a p (but pronounced with a b).
There's nothing wrong with Hartpury - for the right horse (calm schoolmaster types) it's a nice job, and the chance to be loved by students.
It's not a free full livery/schooling service though - and you've got to be realistic about whether a horse be able to do the job, and will fit into that environment or not.

TPO

Visit site
Honestly I'd consider selling your horse and immersing yourself in student life.

I didn't do uni but from horsey friends who did it meant a lot of sacrifices to keep the horse. They missed nights out because of early morning horse visits, didn't have money for certain things because it all went on the horse and when they weren't at the horse or working to keep the horse they were trying to cram in studying and course work.

The end result were people who were so horse daft they didn't mind and didn't even notice what they missed out on and those that held it against the horse and felt that they had missed out on a lot.

The ones who kept their horses at all costs were those horse daft to the bone types who lived and breathed them. Given that you appear to have landed on loaning to a college rather than go all out to keep the horse yourself in whatever way possible I'd hazard a guess that you don't fall into this category (few do, NOT a dig in any way at all).

So yeah, if you can bear to part with a horse to put it to a college on loan I'd consider selling now while the market is high, enjoy uni and consider getting another once you've finished and are working.

I didn't go to uni but still felt I missed out slightly on some elements of my 20s because of horses (well, more so vet bills!).

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think you have to think about what will happen if it doesn't work out- if you're unhappy with the care or riding your horse is getting for whatever reason.

It'll be difficult and stressful during your first term/year of uni to be searching for livery, having to move a horse, having to figure out how to suddenly fit that care around your studies (which is totally doable, but obviously still a hassle).

If you're unsure about loaning to them, I wouldn't do it for that reason- I'd try to find DIY close to uni- maybe with services you can buy in, or loan him out to someone experienced at home (ideally with an arrangement that you can ride occasionally in the holidays if you want to)- loaning him to someone close to home does assume your parents could take over his care short term at least if the loan ended suddenly, though.

I've got no opinions on loaning to Hartpury itself, but given you sound unsure, then it might be an additional stress at a time which can already be quite stressful.

Eleanor2003

Visit site
Without getting into whether I would send my horse to Hartpury or any other college (I wouldn't) are you happy to ride your horse on one day a week only? What other options have you looked into?

My course is full time so I would be on campus 9-5 most days so riding once a week would possibly suit quite well (although I would prefer twice!) The only other option for him that I know of would be schooling/training livery near Cheltenham as he needs the education but finding somewhere that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is quite difficult especially as we are moving 4 hours south.

At the moment it's about 150/160 per week for him to be schooled ontop of full livery- this comes with lots of facilities so two indoor schools, 2 outdoor (one is split into 2 20x60 arenas) plus good hacking so I know finding something that's similar is a big ask! Ideally even if they just had a decent sized indoor arena I would be happy ? but then prices are much higher! so for a uni student this is definitely not the best option ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If you put him on working livery, be prepared for him to be handed back broken after repeated exposure to numpty instructors, numpty students and numpty stable managers.

My saint of a mare learned that sometimes the only way to protect herself was to deploy the eject button. I was told this by her breeder after I'd bought her. She was sore, she was crooked, and her mouth was a dental nightmare. All the while whilst under the care of 'professionals'.

Eleanor2003

Visit site
Hartpury really isn't in the business of schooling horses for free, by providing 'higher level riders' (what is a higher level incidentally?).
If he's not well-schooled in jumping/dressage and even hacking - then he's not going to get on well there. The reason they borrow horses is for students to learn on - some of the students are world-class level riders, but some can only just rise to the trot.
And there is no turnout (or at best extremely limited) in the winter months because there are 210 or so stables, and the fields are clay, with a high rainfall.

Why don't you take him to one of the nearby yards (assuming you are going to either Hartpury or the Uni of Glos) and just enjoy him. Being a student is not that full time or taxing, to prevent you riding, schooling, enjoying your own horse.

He would be used for the level 4 riders with the option that the instructor that is assigned to him would also school. I wish I could take him on a DIY livery! My course is 9-5 on campus not including placements so Schooling/training livery would be ideal, but trying to find somewhere that's quality but doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I've found very difficult via Google as I'm not from the area and my mum hasn't been living there for a good 20 years ? I think I've put in a comment above what we're paying at the moment- the ones I've found so far are around double that!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
He would be used for the level 4 riders with the option that the instructor that is assigned to him would also school. I wish I could take him on a DIY livery! My course is 9-5 on campus not including placements so Schooling/training livery would be ideal, but trying to find somewhere that's quality but doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I've found very difficult via Google as I'm not from the area and my mum hasn't been living there for a good 20 years ? I think I've put in a comment above what we're paying at the moment- the ones I've found so far are around double that!

What is a 'level 4 rider'? And do you think that, without charging you, Hartpury is going to pay an instructor to school your horse?

I know a little bit about Hartpury - on loan your horse will be ridden for potentially 2 to 3 hours a day by all standards of rider.
Hartpury can't afford to keep horses which can only be used for advanced riders and/or need schooled by instructors - that's expensive.

I'm not trying to be negative - but if you want a schooling livery, then the going rate round Hartpury is also around £150 per week.

I think TPO is correct - you should sell him, and buy a horse once you've finished your degree.

Eleanor2003

Visit site
I was at Hartpury about 15 years ago so things might have changed then.....

But the horses are ridden by all standards of rider. If your horse is kind natured then expect him to be used for novices quite often. The instructors left a lot to be desired. Lots of school work, jumping and no hacking. No turnout in the winter and only a short time during the day in the summer as there were too many horses for the land and had to go on a grazing rota. Horse must be used to very busy environments. I personally would not have kept my horse there, but some do and the horses are fine. Every time a new load of horses came at the start of a new academic year, a few would end up being sent home as they didn't settle well or the owners were unhappy with their care. You would have to be prepared that it may not work out and make some alternative arrangements.

I did once loan a young horse that had been used at a smaller equine college and her schooling had gone backwards there, she was so wonky from being used by novice riders for such a long time.

Lots of people I know kept their horses on local DIY yards or on the Hartpury DIY yard. I managed to loan a green 5 year old and ride 5 days a week, whilst also studying and having 2 part time jobs so it is do-able. If you wanted a sharer there would probably be loads of good riders studying there that can't afford their own horse.

I would agree with ponynutz re: the social aspects of having a horse on DIY whilst you are at uni. It is nice to not have the responsibility so you can focus on going out, building relationships, extra curricular activities, studying etc. Hartpury is however a bit different to most uni's though as so many of the students have horses and I didn't feel that I got that normal uni experience. In my 1st year I didn't have a horse and almost felt left out because everyone in my halls went off to the yards to do their horses in their free time....it was a bit weird!

Gosh you might have met my mothers horse Phaedrig then! Big chestnut Irish Draught who was there around 2005

I very much appreciate not being completely ripped into about even considering it but rather a much more informative answer! I agree that DIY would be too much so it's about finding elsewhere that would suit both him and I while being able to enjoy owning him to some degree!

Eleanor2003

Visit site
What is a 'level 4 rider'? And do you think that, without charging you, Hartpury is going to pay an instructor to school your horse?

I know a little bit about Hartpury - on loan your horse will be ridden for potentially 2 to 3 hours a day by all standards of rider.
Hartpury can't afford to keep horses which can only be used for advanced riders and/or need schooled by instructors - that's expensive.

I'm not trying to be negative - but if you want a schooling livery, then the going rate round Hartpury is also around £150 per week.

I think TPO is correct - you should sell him, and buy a horse once you've finished your degree.

If you have any names/ suggestions for that sort of price that would be great! It's what we pay at the moment and that's MUCH more in our budget compared to the ones I've found via Google! I would be in Cheltenham so I over 40 mins would be pushing it- but by the sounds of it you know the area well ☺️

Annagain

Visit site

Most of us work 9-5 and manage horses on DIY - or if you really need to, assisted DIY to cater for a turnout or bring in at one end of the day. You could get to a nearby yard for 7.30, turn out and muck out and be home by 8.30 for a quick shower and in lectures by 9. You could even get up a bit earlier and ride before lectures. If you didn't want to, as long as you choose a livery with floodlit school you could ride after work and still be home by 7 if you wanted the social life. There are lots of yards around Hartpury with lots of students with horses on them so it could be a good way to meet people too. A friend of mine went there and the friends she made there and she's still in touch with were all from her livery yard rather than her course or halls.

Have a look for Hartpury student or local rider Facebook groups (I think there's a Gloucestershire riders one) and ask for yard recommendations on those.

dorsetladette

Visit site
a friends daughter took her pony (fell) to hartpury and only lasted 3 weeks. There were various reasons but mainly the management of the yard. He was 'different' to the others and they weren't set up to manage him. He also had mild sweetitch (which they said wasn't a problem) but their management of this was to keep him in 24/7 and the poor lad couldn't even see over the door. The yard staff have probably changed now but they just weren't accommodating and the poor girl was picked on by staff and students for not having a 'proper' horse even though he was school to a far higher level than the 'proper' horses stabled there.

I'd recommend you find a livery yard close by and get a sharer if you need too.

Starzaan

Visit site
One of my liveries had four horses and is competing all four at a very high level. She had a 9-5 course at hartpury and still managed it.
i think it’s a question of whether you want to or not.
happy to recommend some local yards to you.

Eleanor2003

Visit site
One of my liveries had four horses and is competing all four at a very high level. She had a 9-5 course at hartpury and still managed it.
i think it’s a question of whether you want to or not.
happy to recommend some local yards to you.

That would be great! If they offer training/schooling livery- even better! My course isn't at Hartpury and is nothing to do with animals/horses so it means I have to factor in travel time etc. I would be at Cheltenham so even Hartpury is almost too far! I was hoping for the journey to be within 30/40 minutes

Starzaan

Visit site
That would be great! If they offer training/schooling livery- even better! My course isn't at Hartpury and is nothing to do with animals/horses so it means I have to factor in travel time etc. I would be at Cheltenham so even Hartpury is almost too far! I was hoping for the journey to be within 30/40 minutes
I’m near Cheltenham and grew up in this area so know it well.
Would you like to pm and let me know whereabouts you’ll be so I can recommend something close to you?