Locking stifles-update

suebou

Visit site
I posted a couple of weeks ago about our 7 yo ex racer and his bilateral locking stifles. Vet said to introduce in hand work with poles, this resulted in very clearly exhibited pain reactions, so yesterday we had a full work up to see what is actually going on.
Gait analysis, trot ups, lunge on hard surface and arena, X-rays and an orthopaedic consultant’s eye and expertise plus our verbal and photographic/video evidence gave us
wobblers
kissing spines
ataxia,
hock/stifle issues
ulcers(which we did know about)
all progressive degenerative and with no assurance of a pain free ‘retirement’ we had him pts there and then
He was the most gentle, soft horse ever and seemed to have so much potential when he started work but it quickly became clear he wasn’t coping.
He will be missed.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm so sorry but you did exactly the right thing for him. Thank you for the update. I hope things all feel a bit less raw soon.

suebou

Visit site
Thank you, it’s always sad isn’t it? Tbh, watching him trying to canter on the lunge was more than enough to convince us. His registration name of The normal one’ always amused us.

Cragrat

Visit site
What a good job you had him properly checked - I am so sorry, but at least he cannot suffer any more - there is no possibility of someone buting him up and selling him on.