Looking for a breed of pony my son won’t send to sleep and turn into a seaside donkey. Ideas?

maya2008

Visit site
11 year old boy. Currently still just about fitting on 11.2hh Welshies but also riding my 13hh NF. Adult height won’t be more than about 5ft6 so never going to be tall.

Loves a speedy nutty pony, but has a wonderful knack of turning even the borderline dangerous ones into… plods. I kid you not, it’s a gift, before you know it the pony is bumbling along at the back of the ride, all sleepy and calm, lolloping into jumps steadily and looking after little children with kindness and care. Lovely for the pony, disappointing for him. He likes the adrenaline rush of the young pony unpredictability, then misses it like mad when it’s gone.

He was so despondent the other day as the latest one has now also turned into a very sweet pony who would really like some small people to dote on. Currently getting his ‘fix’ riding a friend’s project, but even that is rapidly progressing from pretty scary to calm and sensible. In a month she won’t be fun any more either. We have a couple of projects to play with over the summer, none of which are destined for him (one for my daughter and my ongoing ex feral) so can keep him happy for now, but I have promised him one of his own at the end of the summer, that will stay fun and buzzy. It’s just finding one though. How do I find one that will stay a bit speedy and fun like he wants it?

EventingMum

Visit site
Arab x, my son rode one that was 3/4 or 7/8 arab and would have fitted your bill! Equally he had a cob x TB who definitely was not cob like, he seemingly was a nightmare to back (his dam was never successfully backed), initially he used to walk the length of the yard on his hind legs when my son was legged up! We got him as a 5 yo and he took my son to PC open area competitions in dressage and show jumping and was sucessful BS, including winning a class of over 100 at the Scope Festival. My son absolutely adored him and was never bored with him.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I have a buzzy NF that's quiet to ride until you start any faster work. Then she just wants to go. My son used to hare round on her. She'd make a cracking hunting pony or racer. I wanted him to do WHP on her but he hated showing so never did. If you're ever this way he's welcome to come and have a ride (belt) across the open forest!

maya2008

Visit site
Native x TB ?

I had a hot seat as a kid but as I stopped getting any taller at 13 I can still ride ponies and I find anything that is welsh x TB is usually a bit sparky.

Although neither of my cobs are a plod.
When he’s an adult, I reckon he’ll have a TB - he’s not too dissimilar to me, and I loved mine. Expensive to keep, but just the right mix of speedy with random leapy moments, combined with a healthy dose of self preservation so she was never dangerous in the slightest. Just entertaining!

Sounds a bit like playing with fire? It's not particularly difficult to find a dangerous pony if that's what he wants...
It’s not dangerous he’s after, and we’re generally good at buying sound and not in pain, so anything beyond that is something we can work with. It’s fun - something unpredictable and spicy that will keep you on your toes.

maya2008

Visit site
Irish sports pony would do the job! 😂
I thought about a sports pony - had one with Arab blood when I was younger who was unbelievably fast and talented but a little too obedient for me (and a certifiably nuts one I sold on who he probably would have liked!).

Keep buying him projects and sell them on when he's calmed them down into good kids ponies, you can share the profits!
That’s what we have been doing (he’s been backing and bringing on ponies for us and friends since he was 7), but he’s getting a bit too good at it and nothing lasts long. That was his complaint actually. He wants something to love that he can keep for a few years and won’t become ‘boring’.

Last edited:

Snowfilly

Visit site
Welsh? Or a hackney cross? They go like the wind and will jump anything!

Or a small TB cross, especially if he wanted to get into pony racing…

There’s some cracking small Arab / Welsh B crosses for a bit of flair too.

Ratface

Visit site
A small Anglo-Arabian? Welsh Section C? I've had both in the past. Capable and good fun. My first pony was an Exmoor. Definitely trains one in stickability and up for anything!

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Or a small TB cross, especially if he wanted to get into pony racing…..
I had a small TB that had been used for pony racing…. it completely blew his brain and I ended up having him PTS due to his totally erratic behaviour…..certainly never a dull moment with him

McFluff

Visit site
Another vote for a Welsh c or d
Or a Welsh x Hackney - I’ve met two. Both had energy to burn and a mischievous streak (but not nasty)

maya2008

Visit site
So far I think we’re at:
- Welsh x
- Arab x
Maybe a bit of TB blood in there.

I have only ever known sane Welsh Cs and completely insane (as in, total lack of self preservation) Welsh Bs. What cross would be fun but without the crazy ‘throwing self at cars to avoid yellow flowers’ moments?

A small pure bred arab. Plenty of fire and stamina but trustworthy. A good one will seem a bit deranged to onlookers but will still be looking after his rider.

Also an option, but not as easy to find as I rarely see them advertised.

Jemima50

Visit site
11 year old boy. Currently still just about fitting on 11.2hh Welshies but also riding my 13hh NF. Adult height won’t be more than about 5ft6 so never going to be tall.

Loves a speedy nutty pony, but has a wonderful knack of turning even the borderline dangerous ones into… plods. I kid you not, it’s a gift, before you know it the pony is bumbling along at the back of the ride, all sleepy and calm, lolloping into jumps steadily and looking after little children with kindness and care. Lovely for the pony, disappointing for him. He likes the adrenaline rush of the young pony unpredictability, then misses it like mad when it’s gone.

He was so despondent the other day as the latest one has now also turned into a very sweet pony who would really like some small people to dote on. Currently getting his ‘fix’ riding a friend’s project, but even that is rapidly progressing from pretty scary to calm and sensible. In a month she won’t be fun any more either. We have a couple of projects to play with over the summer, none of which are destined for him (one for my daughter and my ongoing ex feral) so can keep him happy for now, but I have promised him one of his own at the end of the summer, that will stay fun and buzzy. It’s just finding one though. How do I find one that will stay a bit speedy and fun like he wants it?
Put him on an arab

Carrottom

Visit site
As a teenager I rode an Exmore x Hackney mare who was a lovely lively cross with a terrific jump.
If he wants to compete the choice of pony depends on what he wants to do.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
A small tb? Maybe one that hasn't made the height? Or a Hackney? I know a few from driving trials, and they can be pretty spicy! Fell ponies can be good fun, definitely not plods!