Looking for a breed of pony my son won’t send to sleep and turn into a seaside donkey. Ideas?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
With the natives I think it’s very pony dependent. And the sportier ones are usually decent money because they are

dorsetladette

Visit site
Welsh B or C.

C's in my opinion are the cheekiest of the welsh breeds. all the ones I've own have been forward and off the leg, wanting to get going and enjoy the adventures as much as the rider. .

Maybe speak with a few mounted games people and see what is about.

maya2008

Visit site
Can't you just feed current pony half a scoop of racehorse mix?

(said firmly tongue in cheek!)
She’s on a fair amount of oats, but the flashes of endlessly sweet and mothering that we saw last year are taking over more and more. He took her out hacking in just a bareback pad this week, for the first time solo since last summer, and his comments on return were that she was a bit slow but otherwise good. Today, she looked after my wafty daughter impeccably, bumbling around in the arena with her while my son rode one of the others. She was perfectly content to do less. He did hop on at the end and canter her, which she obligingly did, but she wasn’t exactly speedy. She’s grown, is more balanced now, and more sure of who she is. Her youthful wish to run around and play is giving way to a sweet, kind, steadier adult self.

Welsh B or C.

C's in my opinion are the cheekiest of the welsh breeds. all the ones I've own have been forward and off the leg, wanting to get going and enjoy the adventures as much as the rider. .

Maybe speak with a few mounted games people and see what is about.

Mounted games was where my crazy one went, so I can well believe we might find one there!

Last edited:

JoannaC

Visit site
I think a pure bred Arab would be too easy for him by the sounds of things although he sounds the perfect rider for one. Mix a bit of Arab, thoroughbred and either Connie or Welsh D and you'd get something more challenging.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I agree with an arab, I think it would give him the buzz he needs whilst still having a sense of self preservation. And when fit (and in my experience they are not hard to get/keep fit) they will keep going all day long.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about a slightly larger arab- they tend to be relatively fine so shorter riders can get their legs on. Or I agree to look for a 3/4 part bred for example.

Am I right in thinking you are in Devon? If so, search for H C show production on facebook. I don't know them personally at all but I believe they are based in East Cornwall and downsizing and selling a few smaller arabs at low prices. I'm very much sitting on my hands as I definitely don't need an unbacked arab in my life right now, but maybe your son does?

Alternatively, maybe look for something bred for pony racing?

maya2008

Visit site
We’re based in Wiltshire.

Been looking at ads (window shopping really!) of the breeds suggested here, and it would be easy to find a nutty Welsh x - seen some Welshxarab ponies too!

Trying to figure out the right height to go for though. Photo attached of child on pony is him on a 13hh NF. His stirrups are overly long (they’re mine and he was just on to mooch down the road so I left them as they were!) but he’s a decent size on her. He needs to use the mounting block to get a saddle on her though, and can just about get a rug done up. Getting on from the ground is doable but he needs to practise!

He caught and led in my ex feral 13.3hh today, took off her rugs and brushed her to see how that felt for size. His words were, ‘There’s no way I could get her rugs back on, let alone a saddle!’. She’s the one he’s leading in the photo for an idea of size. I’m aware he will grow more this summer also.

Attachments

• IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    781.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3569.jpeg
    IMG_3569.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
My absolute best pony was a welsh c x arab. He was ridiculously hot and so much fun. He absolutely flew. I also had an American saddlerbred x who was mad as a box of frogs. She was brilliant.

But I do think there is value in learning to appreciate horses as they slow down and settle, and not just chasing the high of the adrenaline rush. I don’t think you really challenge yourself as a rider until you ride a horse which pushes you to adapt your style to get the best from it. I went from my whizzy Arab x to a welsh D who I found had a totally different brain, and I really had to learn to ride him.

Timelyattraction

Visit site
We’re based in Wiltshire.

Been looking at ads (window shopping really!) of the breeds suggested here, and it would be easy to find a nutty Welsh x - seen some Welshxarab ponies too!

Trying to figure out the right height to go for though. Photo attached of child on pony is him on a 13hh NF. His stirrups are overly long (they’re mine and he was just on to mooch down the road so I left them as they were!) but he’s a decent size on her. He needs to use the mounting block to get a saddle on her though, and can just about get a rug done up. Getting on from the ground is doable but he needs to practise!

He caught and led in my ex feral 13.3hh today, took off her rugs and brushed her to see how that felt for size. His words were, ‘There’s no way I could get her rugs back on, let alone a saddle!’. She’s the one he’s leading in the photo for an idea of size. I’m aware he will grow more this summer also.
i would say 14hh. He’s only going to grow and it would be a shame to buy a 13hh whizzy thing that he falls in love with to only have to sell a year down the line. At 12 i was on a 14.2hh welsh D and i am only 5ft2 now and nearly 30 so theres no way i would have been over 5ft at 12 🤣

Bobthecob15

Visit site
i would say 14hh. He’s only going to grow and it would be a shame to buy a 13hh whizzy thing that he falls in love with to only have to sell a year down the line. At 12 i was on a 14.2hh welsh D and i am only 5ft2 now and nearly 30 so theres no way i would have been over 5ft at 12 🤣
Definitely 14hh x

Caol Ila

Visit site
Gosh, at 13, I had a 15.1hh QH. But America is a different world. Nobody learns to ride on tiny ponies. Everyone learns on QHs, ex-racers, Appaloosas, Arabs, and whatever else is about, but rarely is anything under 14.2. I'm only 5'4 now.

And at one point, I learned to ride western. I was like 11 and could throw a bloody western saddle on a 14.2 Arab. God knows how.

If your son wants a pony who will last him for a wee while, get something bigger than 13hh, even if it feels tall to him now.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I am over 70 and have been about 5’ 2” since I was 13. It was expected that I would be tall, but no.
I have been able to tack up a 14.2 since I was about 11.
Pony over there who I have now
<<<
is 14.2.

Feistiest, bravest and a proper little madam was my homebred chestnut pictured earlier. She was PTS in 2018 at 27 and was still telling the world that the universe revolved around her.

Good luck in your search.

rara007

Visit site
Isn’t training the horse to be sharp off the aids and as forwards as you want part of learning to ride? Anything hot blooded you would expect to be capable of staying pretty game. My C and D welshes have all been steady tbh. The araby sports ponies hotter but still obedient. My dressage (WBx German pony) bred pony was the sharpest I’ve had but not in a fun way! Way too much movement.

maya2008

Visit site
Isn’t training the horse to be sharp off the aids and as forwards as you want part of learning to ride? Anything hot blooded you would expect to be capable of staying pretty game. My C and D welshes have all been steady tbh. The araby sports ponies hotter but still obedient. My dressage (WBx German pony) bred pony was the sharpest I’ve had but not in a fun way! Way too much movement.
You can’t change their personalities though.

He’s backed and produced on 5 smaller ones in the last couple of years.
- Two were obviously first ridden types from the beginning, with a third showing all the signs but with past trauma to overcome. Son pronounced her boring early on, but she was willing to jump and isn’t spooky, so they agreed to get on for the fun of SJ. Trauma successfully overcome now, so she’s sensible always and has been pronounced even more boring!
- One is spooky (by personality) if in front/solo but steady as a rock behind. Finds fillers stressful and while happy to follow on lead or assisted, never really desensitised enough. Our efforts to continue desensitising at home just made him stressed, whereas the other ponies were fine with it. Given his approach to life, we decided to let him do what he’s happy with. Daughter wants to do dressage this year and he definitely looks the part!
- One is remaining speedy but isn’t ours!

They all go when asked, turn and stop when asked, jump the jump in front of them (spooky one aside, who jumps willingly behind/over something he doesn’t deem scary), look after the rider and do their best to help, whether in an enclosed space, in an open field, on the beach, down a main road, at a busy show or in a forest. Two went to teach tots to ride and have been foot perfect and confidence giving, third first pony has taken two little ones off the lead, responsive to little legs and hands, safe and kind. Son schools them diligently until this is all achieved and then…he’s bored. I get it. My jumping pony was so point and shoot I kept finding sharers for her because I found her utterly dull most of the time.

I will add we didn’t know what they would turn into when they arrived - mostly feral and one pregnant. It was the luck of the draw! This time we are intentionally aiming for the ‘right’ kind of pony.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
Connie x TB, get a full up 148cm youngster with a bit about it and turn it into a FEI eventing pony. Daughter did FEI trials with Tom Mcewan and Laura Collett, both were tiny but managed full up ponies easily. If kids can ride, size is of no importance.