Looking to move to USA

Wrachwal97

Visit site
Hi I am looking to move to USA for a few months at first, to work and travel a little bit and if I like it stay long term. I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on how to start the process. Which state to move to? Where to look for equestrian jobs in US? What websites? I am looking to work as a groom/rider. I have experience working in riding schools, stud yards, livery yards, racing and eventing. I completed HNC, HND equine studies courses as well as Equine Business Management Degree and I have additional horse care qualifications. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
If you're looking to be employed during your time in the US rather than just as a tourist you will need a working Visa and these are very difficult to get as you will need to be sponsored by your employer and they will have to prove how a US citizen couldn't do that job in you place. More details here https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/temporary-employment/

Otherwise Ocala in Florida is a really big horse area.

Visit site
Working in a tb stud sill get you into America. Coolmore have a big farm in Kentucky, I can't remember where Godolphins is. Then obviously you have Lanes End, Tailor Made etc to look into. Racing itself in America is very, very different though.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Racing itself in America is very, very different though.

The whole equestrian scene is very, very different.
The culture is very, very different.

OP, if you haven't, it would be worth joining the Chronicle of the Horse forum and getting a feel for what areas of US equestrianism interest you. They of course have things that do not exist here eg Hunter/Jumper (and the whole dependance on a trainer and being in their 'program'), Saddleseat (american saddlebreds etc with 'set' tails which would be illegal here) and so on and so on... this doesn't even get to the whole ship horses to Mexico or Canada in appalling conditions situation.

There will of course be top horsemen/women who have excellent welfare standards. You need to go with your eyes open though so you don't end up going to the wrong place and end up having to care for big lick TWH for example... I'm not sure that any normal UK horsey person could deal with that.

Read this as well before you go, it does help explain some US ways to a non-american. https://www.waterstones.com/book/if-only-they-didnt-speak-english/jon-sopel/9781785942273

Wrachwal97

Visit site
The whole equestrian scene is very, very different.
The culture is very, very different.

OP, if you haven't, it would be worth joining the Chronicle of the Horse forum and getting a feel for what areas of US equestrianism interest you. They of course have things that do not exist here eg Hunter/Jumper (and the whole dependance on a trainer and being in their 'program'), Saddleseat (american saddlebreds etc with 'set' tails which would be illegal here) and so on and so on... this doesn't even get to the whole ship horses to Mexico or Canada in appalling conditions situation.

There will of course be top horsemen/women who have excellent welfare standards. You need to go with your eyes open though so you don't end up going to the wrong place and end up having to care for big lick TWH for example... I'm not sure that any normal UK horsey person could deal with that.

Read this as well before you go, it does help explain some US ways to a non-american. https://www.waterstones.com/book/if-only-they-didnt-speak-english/jon-sopel/9781785942273
I worked with horses in Poland as well before I moved to UK. I’ve worked on a few yards but of course still a lot to see and learn. I just thought if it is possible I want more experience and see other countries and places. Hence my post I just want to learn more :)

Widgeon

Visit site

simsy6

Visit site
Hi I am looking to move to USA for a few months at first, to work and travel a little bit and if I like it stay long term. I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on how to start the process. Which state to move to? Where to look for equestrian jobs in US? What websites? I am looking to work as a groom/rider. I have experience working in riding schools, stud yards, livery yards, racing and eventing. I completed HNC, HND equine studies courses as well as Equine Business Management Degree and I have additional horse care qualifications. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

As someone mentioned previously, a work visa is a very difficult thing to come by these days in the US, so defintely do some research on that before seriously trying to jump into anything!

As for where to go in the US, there are many horsey areas! I'm from the western US originally (but now call the UK my home) and if you're into western riding/endurance/ranching (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho are best) it's a great place to try. There are also a fair number of jumping/eventing stables throughout the west (which is what I used to do), so you could still ride English while having access to other kinds of riding easily. East coast/Ocala is really the mecca for English riding disciplines in the US, although I've known people from that scene and according to them it can be very toxic and welfare standard for the horses aren't as high.

In general, the west is more laid back and friendly. California also has some top riding schools/trainers (you'll find it's much more trainer oriented there rather than riding schools) and I really loved riding in Oregon. As noted by previous posters, culture is just very very different there in general, but if you're game for it then that can be a good thing. I've found compared to the UK, and this is just my opinion, horsey people are friendlier and quicker to open up to you in the US, which is nice. They'll love that you're from England, so soak that up lol :p

HazuraJane

Visit site
I live in Northern California. There is a very active horse industry here. Were I in your shoes, I would look, as simsy6 said, in Oregon. Oregon has a considerably gentler cost-of-living than California. Oregon also has, BONUS, no sales tax. Northern California is home for me, but between costs of everything and wildfires, it's not where I would move to.

If, however, you do want to explore Northern Cal, PM me and I'll try to answer your questions.
Don't be too nervous about US v UK horse culture shock.
Everything will be different, so cultural differences will likely be more of a "Hmm, okay" than a "OMG I CAN'T BE DOING WITH THAT!"

Also there are many ex-pats here who have made California their permanent residence which makes me think the adjustment can't be too terrible.

BunnyDog

Visit site
@Wrachwal97 Clearly I am jumping in late to this thread but as an American who has worked in many parts of the USA doing horse jobs, I can tell you that very much like everywhere else there are good and bad barns and a host of the in between.

A work visa is incredibly difficult to get say my friends from abroad. But there are many horse jobs that pay cash, under the table, so you might be ok with an accent and without a Visa. (Not that I condone that but our administration has gone a bit nuts on the visa front)

Americans have a deep affinity for folks who ride with accents. You'll likely be fine.

I'm on the east coast in Pennsylvania and these are the "known" horsey areas of prevalence :

North Salem, Ny

Unionville, PA (near me)

Hunt Country, MD (around Baltimore, MD)

Middleburg, VA

Charlottesville, VA

Raleigh, NC

Charlotte, NC

Southern Pines, NC

Aiken, SC

Ocala, FL

West Palm Beach, FL

Lexington, KY

Burbank, CA

Temecula, CA (A big CCI is held there)

Most of Northern, Ca

Some areas around Phoenix, AZ

LARGE parts of Texas (English and Western)

Louisiana has a nice winter Jumper and Hunter Circuit but also regularly gets hurricanes.

I think you should come over, but I am saying that as I am wishing there was a way to go to the UK with my 2 horses and compete there instead of here!!! (Silly job, hubby and dogs in the way of that idea)

Good Luck.

Give a shout if you need any help or to run a name of a prospective employer by someone here to ensure they're not a bad apple!

Emily

Orangehorse

Visit site
Having a personal link or recommendation would be a good move. So people in the Morgan world who have imported horses from the USA maybe, I know people have gone over to spend time in a training yard. Or the english Western Riding world or Saddlebreds.

I know this isn't what you want, but when I was on holiday in Montana the temporary staff were regarded as trainees who didn't get paid! But the guests were expected to leave a large cash tip, which was their wages.

Is there any sort of employment agency who would be able to place you somewhere?

Visit site
OP, we travel to Texas most years, you’re going to need to get your work visa before you even think of moving. To just visit, you need to get an ESTA to even allow you to get into the country and you’ll be asked on arrival your reason for your visit (you’re going to look seriously out of place towing a huge suitcase for a long stay when your tourist visa is for a short period.
I definitely wouldn’t want to fall foul of immigration in the USA.
If you haven’t been to the USA before and it’s a bit of a dream to go there and work, I would suggest when travel/Covid allows, you to over to where you are thinking of going to and have a good look around and see if you actually like it. It is incredibly different from the UK and it doesn’t suit everyone.

Caol Ila

Visit site
The Trump administration has severely curtailed work visas. I'm a US citizen and my OH is a UK citizen. If we wanted to go back under the current regime, it would not be easy for him to get a visa (as a PhD chemist). I would table any plans to go there until after the election and in the meantime, hope to hell that Biden wins.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to offer some insight and hopefully some help to the OP (or anyone else) if you're still interested incoming over to the US in the future (go away, COVID!).

Depending where you want to go, you'll probably find the transition (horse culture, anyway), fairly smooth. I lived and worked in two such locations so I'll elaborate on those. First, I lived in the Middleburg, Virginia area for three years as a professional rider/trainer. Middleburg's entire culture is deeply rooted in horses and hunting. Look at their website!
https://visitmiddleburgva.com/

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are a LOT of expats from the UK and Ireland in/around Middleburg for all the hunting, racing, breeding, and other sport (ie. eventing, jumpers, dressage, driving, etc). Between that and the very quaint English-style architecture in Middleburg itself, it's probably just about the closest thing to home as you'll find in the US. There are several big hunts in the area. Whether working the stables/kennels for the hunt itself, or for any of the wealthy horse owners in the area (about an hour outside of Washington, D.C.) that are always looking for good help to keep their hunting string up...there are usually a lot of opportunities to groom/ride/manage. That's what I did - worked initially for a private Irish Draught/Irish Sport Horse breeding operation training and hunting and managing the farm, and then moved to manage and train at a hunt livery just down the road in Upperville.

There are also several Olympians and/or WEG veterans from various disciplines in the immediate area, or within an hour or so drive. Middleburg calls itself Hunt Country, but just about every horse sport imaginable is there. If you're interested in learning more about the Middleburg area and surrounding towns (that are also extremely horsey), shoot me a PM and I can ask my contacts that are still in the area.

I'm currently in Lexington, Kentucky now, which is HUGE in the Thoroughbred breeding business. All of the major US-based TB breeders are here, as well as many of the international ones. Coolmore is here at Ashford Stud, and Godolphin is also here based at Jonabell Farm. Lexington itself is a small city and has a bit of everything, but the surrounding towns (Paris, Georgetown, Midway, Versailles) are all home to these massive breeding and training operations. There are also dozens and dozens of smaller, family-owned breeding operations in the area sharing the horse country with the big farms. Lexington is also home to major TB sales like Fasig-Tipton and Keeneland, which can be a very demanding, but rewarding job experience if you haven't worked race sales yet.

The Lex area is also home to the Kentucky Horse Park (KHP), which hosts the five-star Land Rover (formerly Rolex) Kentucky Three-Day Event, as well as a full catalog of other shows throughout the year. It's a state park open year-round and I believe they have opportunities to work there if that sounds interesting. Like Middleburg, Lexington also has a lovely spread of all English horse sports, with major players in the hunter/jumper, dressage, eventing worlds all in the area. Horses and horse culture are deeply rooted in this area. I've also met several expats from the UK and Ireland here as well, who work either in the Thoroughbred breeding/training or sport horse worlds.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The north and east side of Maryland also have a strong horse culture so that's another area to explore. I have no experience in either Ocala, Florida, or Aiken, South Carolina, but those are two other locations areas on the East Coast that also have a huge horse culture and diversity in horse sports. I can't speak to the West Coast, much of the Midwest, Texas, etc, or even any western disciplines in case you're looking to embrace your inner cowboy.

The US, like anywhere in the world, has its exceptional horseman and its crooks. I agree that you should fully vet any potential employers and visit the US first, if possible, to see if it would be a good fit (again, once COVID allows). Joining some US horse forums is definitely a good idea. That said, not all hunter/jumper riders are blindly ignorant and completely dependent on their trainers or a program. Plenty do actually manage themselves and their own horses and get along just fine. You'll find accomplished riders in all disciplines who work closely with trainers who probably don't "need" to, and you'll find riders who go it alone who desperately require help (sound familiar?). It is definitely far more common for people to have their horses on full board (full livery) in the states than DIY, but there are a lot of DIYers too! It just depends on the individual and the particular farm or barn.

I won't defend disciplines I'm not apart of and don't agree with, some of which employ illegal practices and get away with it because some regulators don't have the resources to fight it. It's a travesty so please don't assume all Americans are okay with any of that. Just as I'm sure folks in the UK are not okay with horse abuse/neglect, even though it unfortnately happens despite everyone's efforts.

It's impossible to say "this is how they do things in the US," because unfortunately the country is so large that horse management practices will vary wildly from region to region. For example: climate, grass turnout, and general horsekeeping in Kentucky and Middleburg probably have way more in common with most of the UK than southern California, Arizona, etc where grass turnout might be extremely rare. Having grown up in New England, spent time in VA and KY, if I moved to soCA right now I'd probably be completely lost and my horse would have a lot of adapting to do. A friend of mine moved from our farm in Maryland to Colorado, and her horse lives in a stable with a 40 ft dirt run attached to it so he can come and go as he pleases. He gets worked 5-6 days week, but only gets turned out in the big pasture 2x/week with his gelding group, because there's only one large pasture to share for all the turnout groups and they rotate. That would drive my horse and me absolutely crazy, but they are used to it at that farm. Even in the same area, horse management can vary a lot between disciplines. There are just so many variables it's almost overwhelming, which is why you need to do research at the minimum to narrow locations down, and visit the areas on your short list if possible.

Do your homework, get references, know what your own horsemanship standards are and try to find an employer that has the same or similar philosophy as you. Yes, go in with eyes wide open. Also allow yourself to get excited about the many great opportunities there are over here in the horse world.

Job sites:
https://www.yardandgroom.com/jobs/USA
https://www.equistaff.com/Jobs/Search/

Last edited:

Kimberly Monk

New User
Visit site
I need a Working student at Dressage barn for a few months. Oct - Dec. Private room walking distance to beach. I am BHS Certified and Grand Prix trainer.