Lorry food ideas

humblepie

Visit site
Hi all. As above what meals do people take and make to stay away shows. Always tend to end up eating rubbish or pasta. Have small fridge oven and hob. No microwave. Have taken a Fray Bentos pie and veg but that’s about as exotic as it gets.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
As MP says, make at home, take frozen and let it defrost during the day.
Spag, stew or casseroled anything, shepherds pie (any pie), lasagne (take side salad?), curry, anything that can basically be either shoved in the oven or tipped into a pan to reheat.
Serve any of them either with bread, pasta or rice (the microwave sachets of rice can be thrown in a pan of boiling water for 3 mins x)
On a cold or wet day, warming through in the oven will make it feel nice and snug.

j1ffy

Visit site
Same as MP and TFF.

Also the Charlie Bingham ready meals are delicious and can be bunged in the oven.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you don't want to cook or wash up, Iceland and their Food Warehouse stores have a big range of Slimming World frozen ready meals which are stuffed full of vegetables and every one we've tried so far has been delicious. They will thaw in a fridge and are supposed to be cooked from frozen but I would just shorten the time in the oven by 10 minutes.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We didn't have a fridge, and managed to eat OK for 5 days at a time.

A cool box meant the first day and first morning were feasts, with sausage, bacon etc. with beans and toast.

Lunches would tend to be soup and bread. Real butter lasts OK for ages, unless it is high 20s.

Evening meals would be the pasta/ tomato sauce and rated cheese. Cheese would get sweaty but not kill you out of a fridge.

Eggs were great, no need for special storage.

Tomatoes, apples, bananas, pears or grapes, all healthy and easy.

If you have a fridge then there isn't really a limit. We would BBQ the first day, and the 2nd sometimes, even without a fridge. Nothing beats a BBQ, bread, salad.

TBH, with a fridge, oven and hob, you have everything I used to have at home, for a 3 course meal!

humblepie

Visit site
Thank you all. Yes I agree with oven job and fridge should be able to do anything really. Some really good ideas - currently bag has chocolate crisps breakfast bars biscuits gin so can start planning proper food. May do some jacket potatoes as well to reheat or fry.

rara007

Visit site
I can send you my standard Ocado order if you like ?
every breakfast is bacon and egg rolls
Lunches are from the catering or sandwich crisps and a fruit, or occasionally a pasta dish.
Weds night we have cheese and biscuits and olives and cold meats - or a preprepared lasagne from good friends/competitors with real potato wedges and salad, strawberries and cream for dessert.
Thursday night is posh burgers with blue cheese and chutney and sometimes microchips
Friday night is steak, salad and micro chips
Saturday night there’s usually a catered party
Sunday is Chinese back at home!

humblepie

Visit site
Rara007. That sounds good. We normally get a catered dinner at this event but don’t think it’s happening this year. I like your menu plan.

TGM

Visit site
We always found that on the first night we don't usually feel like cooking after travelling there, unloading the stuff, sorting out the stable etc. So we usually do grazing type food - cheese and biscuits, dips, breadsticks, quiche, cherry tomatoes, fruit etc.. On other nights chilled filled fresh pasta is quick to cook, more exciting than normal pasta and just needs a jar of sauce to go with it and some grated cheese. Another night could be a one-pot dish made at home that just needs reheating.

EventingMum

Visit site
Cottage pie made at home beforehand was always one of our staples, anything with pasta or rice also worked well - chilli, lasagne, curry, chicken breasts and a sauce. Breakfast would be cereal and toast and lunch would be from a food stand or sandwiches so we'd take cold meat, cheese, pate and salad.

honetpot

Visit site
Local takeaway at least once in the week, get them to deliver to the gate, and use three words. Noddles, bacon, eggs, cooked packet rice, with chopped egg and bacon fried in the pan, with perhaps hot dog sausages. Just about any tinned curry meat in sauce, if you really want veg start with a bag of frozen peas in the cool box, should last three days, mixed in anything.
My brother was in the army, his standard snack was tinned meat in a sauce, add curry powder, add frozen peas if no tinned peas available, heat and eat in the pan with bread, so little washing up. You can buy pan liners, so you do not have to wash the pans.
I can cook just about anything in a large non stick wok pan with lid, and clean with paper towel.
I make a chopped salad of cucumber, tomatoes, red pepper, and salad onion, with a bit of dressing. If its kept fairly cool it will last up to three days, add a tin of tuna or boiled egg, soy sauce makes everything taste better.