Losing weight

Horsechallenge

New User
Visit site
I would like to lose weight in order to get back riding but it's always hard to do it alone. With this time in lock down, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to lose weight. Regardless of reasons or quantity I thought it would be nice to have a page to support and hold accountable.
It can be easy for people to get lost and fall off the wagon so I thought it may be good to set a goal etc and do at least a weekly check back and has support from each other.

So I'll go first.

Overall goal: 7 stone
Goal to ride again: 5 stone
This week's target for food: plan healthy meals and stick to it
This week's target for exercise: a daily 4k mini bike cycle and 30mins walk a day and any extra and HIIT workout videos throughout the week will be a bonus.

Flicker

Visit site
Ooh I like this. I’m not so fussed on weight but I could do with an inch or two off my arse and gut.

My goal for this week - more fruity breakfasts, keep up Couch to 5k and walks on days I’m not running.

Anyone got any good HIIT routines?

Roxylola

Visit site
Joe wickes does some hiit routines on YouTube, or 30 day shred is good.
You cant out run a bid diet, exercise will help with fitness, mood etc it's worth doing but reducing calories is the main thing so if you fall off the exercise wagon dont give up entirely.
I've been doing 500 calories 2 days a week mostly on with a little off for a while now 6 months max, lost about a stone overall.

Jules111

Visit site
Ooooh, i'm definitely up for this. I am currently "loosely" following the fast 800 diet. No pasta, rice, potatoes or bread. Two meals each day with a 16 hour fast from evening meal through to lunch following day, 800 calories each day. God it's tough but I think I need the discipline. I'm currently in week 5 and I've lost 13.5lb so far. I'd like to loose 1 and 1/5 stone more. May take a long time but I have to admit i'm feeling a lot better. Already noticing how much better my clothes feel. I dream of chocolate but If I fall off the wagon i'll be back to square one very quickly.

Good luck with your diets everybody. I'm sort of feeling it's a bit easier during lockdown, no fast food temptations. Home cooking might as well be healthy because take aways are either rubbish or need 2 days notice for delivery. xxx

Horsechallenge

New User
Visit site
I noticed a big difference in a week of doing team body project workouts. I signed up and use their free work out. Each day focuses on something different. I did the beginner/starter level but within 5 workouts I noticed changes in my shape. Where Joe Wicks does an activity then a rest, this mixes it up, so one is do a high intensity activity but your 20sec break is strength and another is a walking one where you do your activity but march on your break. At the end, on some of their workouts, then they do 2-3 minutes of non stop activities. I fell out the habit though but my plan is to reintroduce it soon.

Flicker

Visit site
Fortunately my diet is reasonably healthy. If I allow myself one day of eating what I fancy, I’m pretty happy to stick to around 1300 calories a day for the rest of the week.

Working from home has made me realise how much crap I ate at work. One of my colleagues would always be bringing in Haribo or Percy Pigs and it’s amazing how you eat them without thinking. Now at home we only have fruit really for snacking. I’ve already lost an inch off my hips.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I'm already doing this, and have been for a few weeks. I've lost 7lb so far the past few weeks and totally 17lb since February. I've been doing 1700 calories a day, 10,000 steps a day and that's it. I log everything on My Fitness Pal and it really makes me think before I snaffle something!

We haven't had any takeaways/junk food since the lockdown started, and I have made my own lunch as well for work. I've been having salad with a fish cake, or tuna, sometimes on its own, with some cheese and a bag of French Fries crisps or similar low calorie, and then a low fat chocolate mousse from Asda. Its not exciting but I am so much less bloated, I don't get heartburn really anymore, and I do feel more awake in the afternoons.

I need to loose another 2 stone at least but I don't feel as daunted by it as I did previously. Would love another 12lb by July to get me into the next stone bracket but we shall see (my birthday!).

I find if I start saying "I cant have chocolate/ chips/ rice/ bread etc." then I binge. If I add it in my calories, then I feel better as I can have it and I've not binged.

Wheels

Visit site
I
Fortunately my diet is reasonably healthy. If I allow myself one day of eating what I fancy, I’m pretty happy to stick to around 1300 calories a day for the rest of the week.

Working from home has made me realise how much crap I ate at work. One of my colleagues would always be bringing in Haribo or Percy Pigs and it’s amazing how you eat them without thinking. Now at home we only have fruit really for snacking. I’ve already lost an inch off my hips.

I agree with you re. the work colleagues and treats. The thing in our office is any time there is a birthday, special occasion, return from holiday or whatever then there are a whole pile of buns, cakes and sweets in the kitchen for people to help themselves. My sweet tooth takes over. Then we have a team biscuit tin which is always in my eye line! Not helpful

Since WFH I have lost 9lbs - my goal is another 12lbs or in the region of.

I am up early for a youtube follow along session, breakfast which is always porridge made with 1/2 milk, 1/2 water, a few berries, squirt of runny honey and a dollop of natural yoghurt.

Generally no snacks but might have a banana or orange the odd day.

Lunch is my main meal with something light to eat in the evenings

I'm eating the same types of foods but less of the bad stuff, smaller portions etc

I walk the dog at lunch but only a couple of miles as not much time then I ride or lunge in the evenings.

Flicker

Visit site
Wheels, 9lb is amazing, well done! Just goes to show how effective taking away the temptations of the workplace feeding station can be.

If you like oats, I do overnight oats: 3/4 cup of oats, cup of water, teaspoon vanilla extract or sprinkle cinnamon. Cover and put in fridge overnight. In the morning, add yoghurt and a chopped banana or some berries - delish!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Wheels, 9lb is amazing, well done! Just goes to show how effective taking away the temptations of the workplace feeding station can be.

If you like oats, I do overnight oats: 3/4 cup of oats, cup of water, teaspoon vanilla extract or sprinkle cinnamon. Cover and put in fridge overnight. In the morning, add yoghurt and a chopped banana or some berries - delish!

Standard porridge oats? Or other type of oats?

Muddywellies

Visit site
Omg I'm totally in awe of you all. Ive been on a diet for over 20 years!! Im a pretty chunky size 16 and look awful on my horse (and ever worse competing in beige breeches). I eat very healthy - lots of fruit, veg, chicken and fish and I have 1 naughty day a week. I do Joe Wicks every morning before work (I WFH) and either school, hack, or hack in hand to get my own steps up. However I've been putting on weight during lockdown and I could cry. I'm so tired of the lifelong diet (if I wasn't careful I would be probably a size 24 or so), tired of people thinking I'm too fat to be a dressage rider, tired of being embarrassed when I see pics of myself riding. If I could have 1 wish it would be for a better metabism!

smolmaus

Visit site
I log everything on My Fitness Pal and it really makes me think before I snaffle something!

I find if I start saying "I cant have chocolate/ chips/ rice/ bread etc." then I binge. If I add it in my calories, then I feel better as I can have it and I've not binged.
MFP is a game changer! I'm not currently interested in losing anything (got enough brain problems with lockdown without adding any extra, I can get obsessive about the calorie counting when I'm stressed) but when I was tracking my weight it was invaluable. And the habit of weighing things sticks around. Just not opening the bag of pasta and pouring has probably saved me several new pairs of jeans by itself :p

That last sentence was also super important for me mentally. No such thing as "bad food" to feel guilty about or "good food" to feel virtuous, it's all just energy! That approach doesn't work for everyone but I am also a binge eater at times and taking the judgement out of it was really vital.

I actually ran a thread similar to this on another forum in 2018 and we collectively lost almost 1000lb in just over a year, the team spirit really does seem to help people. Great idea @Horsechallenge !

skint1

Visit site
I also hate how I look on a horse and how I look in general and I hate how clothes fit me and how it feels to be lugging around this weight, and I hate feeling like such a loser and cringing when riders talk about weight and size even though I haven't ridden myself in months due to my size. Also I think my weight and size are against me in trying to be the best rider I can be. Through a various series of incidents, my horse is on a 3 month rehab plan so I plan to try and get my arse into some kind of shape too in that time. I track all my food on an App called Lose It, I aim for minimum 10k steps a day, I do a 10 minute Barre workout which will kill you but does wonders for core strength and balance and also do 15-20 minutes yoga a day, plus poo picking, mucking out and starting the rehab work tomorrow. Food is a bit of an issue for me so rather than try and "diet" I am trying to make better choices. Have lost 5lbs in 2wks, I hope I can keep it up

eta- I have been doing the Barre and Yoga and of course horse care for longer than two weeks, but have only been tracking my eating for two weeks if that makes sense because the exercise on its own wasn't working

Flicker

Visit site
Omg I'm totally in awe of you all. Ive been on a diet for over 20 years!! Im a pretty chunky size 16 and look awful on my horse (and ever worse competing in beige breeches). I eat very healthy - lots of fruit, veg, chicken and fish and I have 1 naughty day a week. I do Joe Wicks every morning before work (I WFH) and either school, hack, or hack in hand to get my own steps up. However I've been putting on weight during lockdown and I could cry. I'm so tired of the lifelong diet (if I wasn't careful I would be probably a size 24 or so), tired of people thinking I'm too fat to be a dressage rider, tired of being embarrassed when I see pics of myself riding. If I could have 1 wish it would be for a better metabism!

Your post makes me so sad. You are a healthy, active, woman, contributing to the economy and looking after your horse, and out competing in a tricky discipline - in every respect you are nailing it. And yet, society seems to measure our worth as women by the amount of space we take up.

I’m not one for giving advice, because so often well-meaning advice from others isn’t particularly helpful, but what I will say is: continue to eat food that nourishes your body and your soul, continue to move your body and be proud of what it can do, take joy from your achievements and don’t allow what you think others are thinking about you to detract from this.

A dress size is a number. It is not an indication of your value as a human being.

Flicker

Visit site
I also hate how I look on a horse and how I look in general and I hate how clothes fit me and how it feels to be lugging around this weight, and I hate feeling like such a loser and cringing when riders talk about weight and size even though I haven't ridden myself in months due to my size. Also I think my weight and size are against me in trying to be the best rider I can be. Through a various series of incidents, my horse is on a 3 month rehab plan so I plan to try and get my arse into some kind of shape too in that time. I track all my food on an App called Lose It, I aim for minimum 10k steps a day, I do a 10 minute Barre workout which will kill you but does wonders for core strength and balance and also do 15-20 minutes yoga a day, plus poo picking, mucking out and starting the rehab work tomorrow. Food is a bit of an issue for me so rather than try and "diet" I am trying to make better choices. Have lost 5lbs in 2wks, I hope I can keep it up

eta- I have been doing the Barre and Yoga and of course horse care for longer than two weeks, but have only been tracking my eating for two weeks if that makes sense because the exercise on its own wasn't working
Skint, are there any websites with barre exercises? I’d love to give these a try, my core is pathetic now I am not riding.

jnb

Visit site
I'm also someone who's been on a diet off & on for 35 years, that makes me want to cry. I've been a size 12/14 and a size 22/24. Currently a 16/18, I have lost almost 5 stone since last August, so I can show my show cob without being ripped to shreds by the bitches at ringside. Typical, no showing now (
I've lost about 6-7 pounds since lockdown, currently yo-yoing a bit but determined not to give up. I have 3 (THREE!) tweed jackets in the same cloth (how bad is that) - Initially I couldn't get in the "Fat" one - I can now just about get in the middle one, but doubt i'll ever get in the (size 14) thin one.
I know I shouldn't, but it makes me feel ill when I hear people moaning because they're a "huge" size 14....some of us dream of being that size. I won't go into how I got that slim, when I did (I lost 7 stone in 7 months)

LegOn

Visit site
I started doing Slimming World online last Sunday, I saw a photo of myself it just really got me down so I said enough was enough. I was actually pleased with myself aswell cause we have a treat table in work too and I felt I wasnt eating as much crap but I think the damage had already been done, or else I was just letting loose at the weekend too much - sitting around with no shows to go hasnt been great for lots of popcorn & snacks!

I dont own a weighing scales because I get awful anxiety about being weighed so I go by clothes. I'm always around a size 14, 5 years ago I got down to a size 10 for my wedding, nearly an 8 & I was delighted! I'm back up to a size 12 and my clothes are getting tight again so I dont want to let it get any worse. I really want my show jods to need replacing before shows are back!!

I know its only been a week but its so easy to follow and the app is amazing for tracking everything, and already my jeans this morning are much looser and I'm not hungry at all, I know alot of people who rave about Slimming World and I thought it was just another diet but its really quite good, you can eat so much on it!

Originally I lost weight with Paul McKenna hypnosis & I still believe its really good mentally for you & stopping you feeling like a failure so I still follow his ideals, I just find it hard to visualise as hard as I did for my wedding, that was a goal that so easy to focus on and I think really helped it work so well.

Flicker

Visit site
I'm also someone who's been on a diet off & on for 35 years, that makes me want to cry. I've been a size 12/14 and a size 22/24. Currently a 16/18, I have lost almost 5 stone since last August, so I can show my show cob without being ripped to shreds by the bitches at ringside. Typical, no showing now (
I've lost about 6-7 pounds since lockdown, currently yo-yoing a bit but determined not to give up. I have 3 (THREE!) tweed jackets in the same cloth (how bad is that) - Initially I couldn't get in the "Fat" one - I can now just about get in the middle one, but doubt i'll ever get in the (size 14) thin one.
I know I shouldn't, but it makes me feel ill when I hear people moaning because they're a "huge" size 14....some of us dream of being that size. I won't go into how I got that slim, when I did (I lost 7 stone in 7 months)

I’ve sat ringside, those bitches’ll bitch whether you’re a size 20 or a size 0, because that’s what bitches do. I was sat behind a coven at a dressage competition a few months ago and they were ripping into everyone. My friend, who has a tongue like a razor (and a mouth like a sewer) said, ‘so what time’s your class then ladies?’ which shut them up for a bit.

If you’re cob is happy with you riding, and you are healthy, those are the only two things you should be focusing on.

You‘re doing great! Get out there and enjoy the benefits riding brings.

skint1

Visit site
Skint, are there any websites with barre exercises? I’d love to give these a try, my core is pathetic now I am not riding.

https://barre.downdogapp.com/

I use Down Dog apps for Yoga and Barre, they also have a HIIT and 7 minute shred. It's brilliant, different workout every time, you can choose the intensity and length and type for the yoga, the Barre is a bit less developed but it is still really good. 10 minutes kills me but I love it

Steerpike

Visit site
I've given myself a kick up the backside this week, carbs are my downfall and I have real phobias about certain foods, since I've been on solids, will be glad to get back to work where I don't get chance to snack and am more active.

Rosemary28

Visit site
I would also like to lose weight to get back into riding. Unfortunately I used to binge eat when I was stressed and it is very hard to break that cycle - my weight peaked at 17st6 which was a bit scary. My biggest problem is mental, not letting it get to me if I "slip up" and trying to see the long term. I've been trying to lose weight for so many years and it really upsets me that I keep "failing". Always up for tips to help me on my journey.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Your post makes me so sad. You are a healthy, active, woman, contributing to the economy and looking after your horse, and out competing in a tricky discipline - in every respect you are nailing it. And yet, society seems to measure our worth as women by the amount of space we take up.

I’m not one for giving advice, because so often well-meaning advice from others isn’t particularly helpful, but what I will say is: continue to eat food that nourishes your body and your soul, continue to move your body and be proud of what it can do, take joy from your achievements and don’t allow what you think others are thinking about you to detract from this.

A dress size is a number. It is not an indication of your value as a human being.
Bless you. Great big virtual hug. Thank you for those lovely words. You're so right about the clothes size thing. It's just you feel constantly kicked in the wot nots when many equestrian clothing manufacturers won't even acknowkedge anyone over a size 14 even exists (average UK dress size is 16) A couple of years ago at Badminton I had the audacity to walk into the Joshua Jones shop for a nice pair of boots. When I eventually caught the attention of the assistant and said my calf size, he was very dismissive and curtly stated they don't stock my size off the peg (calf is XL 43/44 cm) and I left with my tail between my legs. If only I could lose about 2 stone, it would open up a whole world of possibilities. I do belong to WW and am trying......

jnb

Visit site
I've been there @Muddywellies, that feeling of being lower than a snake's belly because you're bigger than a 14. It's like that snobby saleswoman in "Pretty Woman", they look you up and down with disdain as if you're a bit of sh*t on their shoe. I can't wear anything from Joules, Horseware or Ariat at the moment (too tight, I'm big on the chest and shoulders), I have just managed to get back into my Ariat Bromonts which feels amazing.
My aim is to fit back into my nice clothes of the above brands but I do find it ridiculous that when I was slim (size 12/14) I still needed XL or XXL in Ariat Joules etc. And funnily enough those are the sizes that sell out first...so. Am I abnormal or are tiny sizes abnormal? It's soul destroying.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I need to lose weight. I'm 40 next year with a very high family history of diabetes so I really need to do something. I'm currently 15st 8lbs but am also 5ft 11. I'd really like to get back down to about 12st if possible. I have Fibromyalgia and CFS so alot of exercises are either painful or exhausting for me.
I hate salad and not a huge lover of fruit so healthy eating gets tricky...though I absolutely LOVE veg. Carbs are most definitely my big down fall as well as grazing through the day and not eating breakfast or lunch. I'm the laziest person when it comes to meals. I don't eat excessively for the most part but most of what I eat is shockingly rubbish. I carry most of my weight on my belly. I always used to be around 11 stone but have put the weight on in the last 8 years or so, partly due to stress and partly due to medication. I'm currently a size 16/18.
I will follow this thread with interest and if anyone has tips that might help me with working around chronic pain I would be forever grateful xx

smolmaus

Visit site
I’ve sat ringside, those bitches’ll bitch whether you’re a size 20 or a size 0, because that’s what bitches do. I was sat behind a coven at a dressage competition a few months ago and they were ripping into everyone. My friend, who has a tongue like a razor (and a mouth like a sewer) said, ‘so what time’s your class then ladies?’ which shut them up for a bit.

If you’re cob is happy with you riding, and you are healthy, those are the only two things you should be focusing on.

You‘re doing great! Get out there and enjoy the benefits riding brings.
How to spot someone who hates themselves, they're bitching about others so they don't have to think about it. To be pitied and ignored!
I would also like to lose weight to get back into riding. Unfortunately I used to binge eat when I was stressed and it is very hard to break that cycle - my weight peaked at 17st6 which was a bit scary. My biggest problem is mental, not letting it get to me if I "slip up" and trying to see the long term. I've been trying to lose weight for so many years and it really upsets me that I keep "failing". Always up for tips to help me on my journey.
My 2p, coming from a similar place, what helped was to consciously stop blaming myself when I binged. The guilt just sets you up for the next one.

I made my social media very body-positivity heavy which sounds silly but it did help! There is science behind it too though, if that is helpful to you; human beings are meant to take comfort in food, it's completely normal. Eating "too much" doesn't make you a failure, it's just basic comfort seeking. Take stock of what made you want to binge in the first place (in my case it's anxiety) and try to have something else in place for when you feel that way again (I journalled, went to bed at 5:30pm, took a bath, talked to friends on Discord about it, let the hamster out for a run about, whatever took my mind off it) but if you do end up binging just forget about it, your brain needed comfort endorphins and did what it knew how to do to get them. Try something else tomorrow. It's all just playing mental games with yourself and developing new brain pathways but it's not a pass-fail exercise that you have to beat yourself up about.

I haven't had a serious binge episode in months and there was a period there where it was literally every day so something in there worked for me. Everyone just has to find their own mechanisms in their own time.

Roxylola

Visit site
SLH, veg is mostly better than fruit - less sugar, fruit isnt really a great snack for dieting
Exercise helps but
You can not out run a bad diet
Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym

In fact if I want to lose weight I find it easier to not exercise much as it makes me hungrier and I get frustrated that my workouts are restricted because I'm not adequately fuelled. So, do not stress or beat yourself or get defeated because exercise is difficult/impossible. You can and will lose weight without exercising
On the diet, I really do rate my 5-2, thing. I'm not having to spend loads on healthy choice foods, I dont have to plan and prep my meals. I'm just in a deficit by limiting intake heavily twice per week