Loss of use?

loisb501

Visit site
I agree with the majority of the suggestions on here, start by getting the vet out for a full check-over. Then you may need to bring him back to basics and help him to gain your trust. Even if for starters this is just going and standing in his field and speaking to him, making a fuss of him then begin everything slowly and always reward him when he's well behaved. Even just bringing him in from the field (with a friend or having another horse nearby) and grooming him might help! Good luck and let us know what the vet finds if they come to check him over :)

Queenbee

Visit site
I'd also say this OP, we all mess up, none of us are perfect, my current youngster was a lamb for ages then turned into a bolshy little bistard, and I just couldn't find a way through to get his behaviour nailed and back on track, I have started using a whole different approach and technique, because everything I had previously learnt just wasn't doing a thing. The new approach suits him much better and he is coming on leaps and bounds. Some times the step back, asses horse and change tactics to suit horse is the best way. Sometimes we have to not try and mould the horse to us, but mould our approach to the horse.

Umbongo

Visit site
I would also suggest to get the vet out, and tbh am very surprised that you haven't already...this sounds like a very unhappy horse.

My friend had a very dangerous horse. Some days he was an angel and was winning out at the local showjumping. Other days he was downright dangerous...bolting down a main road, bucking like you wouldn't believe. She got him when he was about 13, and he had been in nearly 1 home a year. Turns out he had gastric ulcers, kissing spine, and was intolerant to sugar. He had the operation,gastroguard...and his diet changed completely to A&P sugar/cereal intolerance and soaked hay. It took a good long while to get him back into work as he still remembered the pain...but 5 years down the line and he is a lovely well-behaved horse.

I would also second others suggestions of turning him away with a group of horses etc for a while, or trying to mimic his old routine, I don't think you would be able to claim loss of use. Please get a vet and a good instructor. I would be worried that your instructor hasn't suggested the vet by now either.

Last edited:

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I know you must be at the end of tour tether but you need to.check everything before making big decisions.
Even if something doesn't make sence, try it anyway sometimes its the unexpected that actually helps.

Go back to basics.
Does he have company?
Does he get enough turn out?
Have his feed checked by an expert, could it be ulcers?
Check all tack, see physio, chiropractor, dentist.
Start from the beginning with ground work and basically re back him.

I hope you get it sorted, it would be sad to give up, there must be a reason why he isn't a happy horse.

Goldenstar

Visit site
A bute trial may help but if it does not make a difference you still still cannot discount pain as some conditions do not respond welll to bute , also a bute trial may be less effective if behaviours triggered by pain have been allowed to continue for some time.
Hopefully when a VET who is right person to try to get to the bottom of what's wrong with this poor horse gets a look a the horse they will find something easily.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He has had his teeth etc checked. the stressy behavious in the stable wouldnt relate to saddle fittings. You can tell by his eyes its all mental stress (his eyes go bright red, and his bottom lips tucks in) he's done it for a long time but no one has bothered to deal with it so it has gotten progressivly worse.

Living on a small island i cant have him behaving like this, he poses a risk for me and other people around, bolting on the main road is out of order.

Actually I have considered having him PTS, purely to save him the mental stress of having a new owner, and to stop him doing any damage to anyone else. The stressy behaviour isnt his fault, its just how he has been trained and brought up for 6 years, so he knows nothing different

I think you should have him referred to an equine hospital for a full investigation. Considering his behaviour, the insurance should pay for that, minus your excess. It really does sound like a pain issue to me. I would suggest something such as a bone scan. My vet referred my boy for a bone scan after he 'exploded' with me once. It would have been easy to put it down to behavioural issues as he wasn't lame and had had his teeth and back etc checked. Insurance paid no problem. Actually, he was found to have one of the most severe cases of kissing spine they had ever seen. He has now been operated on.

I really think this is the way to go with your horse. 99.9% of times there is a physical cause for the type of behaviour you describe. Very few horses are that dangerous due to mental reasons.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
we are unfortunately very limited over here, people have suggested a hunting home for him, which would be an ideal solution to keep him thinking forwards. my only worry with him being kept for so long with another/ others is that he gets attached to them, which he would. his previous owner kept him away so he wouldnt get attached.

Oh the poor horse. Why do people do these things? No wonder he is so stressed out!

eatmoremincepies

Visit site
Contact Mark Smith www.msjump.co.uk , he comes to Guernsey to teach and has loads of experience with horses like this. At the very least he can give you a good assessment of what it will take to get the horse right, and will advise you on feed, turnout, handling etc for this sort of horse. Not expensive either.

In the meantime I would be getting the vet to do some tests, there may be something simple wrong and correcting it may make a big difference.

Finding a herd and big field to chuck him out with for a while is a huge help, the herd will give do a lot of the training for you. Can always take off back shoes if concerned about injuries.

Good luck.

jaquelin

Visit site
Lots has been said, so I will keep brief:

Some horses are dangerous, so don't beat yourself up.

Could he be a rig? (I had one once and it can really affect their behaviour)

Lot going on with feed - try eliminating as much as you can and then re-introduce one item at a time.
Good luck!

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would firstly say how sorry i am for you to find yourself in the position of having an unpredicatable and dangerous horse. I think it is very unfair that the previous owner(s) did not make it clear to you what she was really like.

Your safety and that of others comes first. You most certainly don't want any accidents.

Many years ago I bought a horse that I tried out several times and purchased and was kindly delivered to me by the previous owner. The horse sadly just would not settle at all especally in the stable and would attack the stable door and try to jump out. (Had been stabled in the previous home). When ridden she would bolt and I was told by a well respected riding instructor that she was the most ill-manered and dangerous horse she had ever had the mis-fortune to ride (she bolted with her several times). At that point I decided that the only solution was a 1 to 1 relationship with me and no one else would handle or ride her.
It took about two years before she calmed down in her stable and became easier and safer to ride. She turned in to my horse of a life time and I continued to ride her for a further 21 years until 7 weeks before this last Christmas when I retired her. Sadly one week before Christmas she had a stroke and was put down. I shall miss that horse because we had so much fun together and had a very special relationship but it took a lot of time for us to bond together.
It is my belief as many of the above posts have stated that some horses do need a good 1 : 1 relationship because in their previous ownership something has gone wrong or they just find a move and/or change of ownership/routine too dramatic.

I would suggest that in the first instance you get your vet in and find out if the horse has any physical problems such as problems with it's back (kissing spines), ulcers eye sight, blocked sinus's etc.
It may also be (in the kindest sense) that you and the horse are just not compatible and your horse may be better off in another home.
Alternatively sadly your horse may just be one of those horses that is too dangerous and for the safety of everyone concerned the most responsible thing would be to put your horse down.
Whatever decision you come to please take into account your safety and that of others as accidents can have a permanent and dramatic effect on all those concerned.
I very much hope that you can sort this out as it must be very worrying for you.

LissyBear

Visit site
If you did manage to make a claim what would you then do with him? Once a claim is made for loss of use that animal can never be used for that purpose again (whether in your ownership or someone elses). I once had a Prix st George dressage horse that had a mild recuring lameness problem. A loss of use claim was filed which meant he was then excluded from ever competing in dressage again. He went on to be a fantastic hunter that never went lame again!! Obviously his joints could not cope with the intricate dressage moves.

The point I am trying to make is that if you claim loss of use on an allrounder you would have no other job left that would be suitable for him. If you decide to keep him as a field ornament the money you claim on loss of use would soon run out in the expense of keeping him. The only sensible thing to do with such an animal is destroy it. Does he really deserve that?

I would love to know more about him.....

LissyBear

Visit site
Hey, me again, just been reading back and there sure are a few opinions flying around aren't there!!!

I feel for you, as you must be at your wits end, obviously you are not stupid, have tried to help this horse and people are making so many judgements and suggestions when you have clearly done what you can.

I think you know you have few options I also think it takes a very brave and exceptional horse woman to realise when to call it a day! No one will think bad of you if you PTS I certainly have a lot of respect for people who can make this decision in such a situation. Most would pass on quietly in the hope to recoupe a bit of money which is just not fair on the animal.

I hope you find a lovely horse to enjoy some day soon. Best of luck xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
Hey, me again, just been reading back and there sure are a few opinions flying around aren't there!!!

I feel for you, as you must be at your wits end, obviously you are not stupid, have tried to help this horse and people are making so many judgements and suggestions when you have clearly done what you can.

I think you know you have few options I also think it takes a very brave and exceptional horse woman to realise when to call it a day! No one will think bad of you if you PTS I certainly have a lot of respect for people who can make this decision in such a situation. Most would pass on quietly in the hope to recoupe a bit of money which is just not fair on the animal.

I hope you find a lovely horse to enjoy some day soon. Best of luck xx

If I have got it right the horse had not seen the vet when op started the thread and until a vet has examined it it's a bit soon to say PTS is the best option.