Lottie and Everdale latest test wins, God help us rewarding this disgrace.

khalswitz

Visit site
I don’t thing in fifty plus years of riding I’ve ever seen blood in a horses mouth that I’ve been riding or anyone around me. Spur makes yes sadly but am I naive or is this becoming a thing? Very uncomfortable and unpleasant.
I’ve only once seen blood in a horse’s mouth when riding and it was from a horse that had bitten through a happy mouth bit and the sharp metal underneath cut its mouth. Ie, a bad situation. This shouldn’t be normal.

teapot

Visit site
BE(F) have posted the following:

The Van Olsts and Lottie gave this update:
“We are of course upset with the elimination, but the horse’s welfare always comes first and foremost so completely respect the decision.
“Everdale was checked over by the FEI vet team straight away and they couldn’t find any sign of a cut or abrasion in the mouth and the our own vet has also given him a thorough check with no obvious cause. The most important thing is he’s fine and there is no injury. We were really happy with the warm up where he was relaxed, we took his bandages off and gave him a final check before heading in to the arena and can only think he maybe just caught his front lip as we went around the arena. It’s a disappointing way to end our FEI World Cup campaign but we have a happy horse to take home for another day.”

pistolpete

Visit site
So if the ones that have had blood in the mouth has there even been an honest explanation of it? Not witch hunting just curious as to how and why this is happening. It must be a thing or they wouldn’t need to check for it.

Spotherisk

Visit site
And another version of the story to Lotties?
Surely thought that’s still a case of how did it happen? In all my years of (low level) riding, often in a Pelham and my horse had a thick bulging tongue, there was never any blood. Even if I bite my own tongue it doesn’t bleed, and modern bits, unless they’re misused or damaged, shouldn’t routinely (well, ever) cause an injury. So it has to be the rider that has somehow caused an injury to the horse.

planete

Visit site
I have seen a horse's mouth bleeding when hunted in a double bridle by a rider unfamiliar with the horse and a double. The mouth was cut and the horse had to be ridden in a headcollar for a couple of weeks afterwards. She was a very fast and bold chestnut TB and the rider was most likely hanging on for all he was worth for a long time. I cannot see how a mouth can be cut during what should be a controlled, balanced and harmonious piece of riding.

PurpleSpots

Visit site
I saw a post in a FB group suggesting Everdale could have unexpectedly shaken his head with the end of the curb shank accidentally banging him in his gum (if the reins were loose at the time)?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
And another version of the story to Lotties?

One of the very few ways that could happen, a cut above the front teeth, would be the horse pulling back and sideways while he was being led by someone using the curb rein to lead with. The blood's in the right place for that. Another would be the horse rubbed on something. A cut in that place could not happen through any kind of bad riding.

The two reports aren't in conflict, I don't think. In a cursory first examination perhaps nobody thought to look upwards, they were only looking for damage caused by the rider.

tristars

Visit site
while it could be possible for a free moving curb to pinch in theory

the blue tongues and blood in the mouth could be related along with holes and blood on the sides from spurs

then there is the tension and stress these horses are under to perform.

and the discomfort adding to the stress by the way they are ridden, making them slightly snatchy in the mouth at certain moments

little_critter

Visit site
I saw a post in a FB group suggesting Everdale could have unexpectedly shaken his head with the end of the curb shank accidentally banging him in his gum (if the reins were loose at the time)?
How is that physically possible?
Edit, ah from ycbm’s post I guess you’re referring to the short end of the shank. I couldn’t figure out how you’d get the long end in the horses mouth.

PurpleSpots

Visit site
That’s why you are supposed to have a lip strap, to keep the curbs shanks in place.
A lip strap's purpose was to stop you losing the curb chain if it became unhooked from both sides (before the hooks were made closed on one side on some bits), and it helps to stop the curb chain moving around excessively.

If you use a lip strap to anchor the curb shanks that suggests the lip strap is too tight?

Edit, ah from ycbm’s post I guess you’re referring to the short end of the shank. I couldn’t figure out how you’d get the long end in the horses mouth.

The reports from those on site say that the blood was coming from an area of the gum above the incisors. The only thing that could possibly have come into contact with that area of the mouth would be the end of the shank of the curb? It presumably happened with a shake of the head at a particular angle - can't think of any other way it would happen, and it explains why people on site are referring to it as an accident, and unlucky.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I meant the long ends. The cut was above the front teeth. If a groom was pulling the curb rein forwards and the horse moved his head sideways that could do it.

nettle

Visit site
A lip strap's purpose was to stop you losing the curb chain if it became unhooked from both sides (before the hooks were made closed on one side on some bits), and it helps to stop the curb chain moving around excessively.

If you use a lip strap to anchor the curb shanks that suggests the lip strap is too tight?

The reports from those on site say that the blood was coming from an area of the gum above the incisors. The only thing that could possibly have come into contact with that area of the mouth would be the end of the shank of the curb? It presumably happened with a shake of the head at a particular angle - can't think of any other way it would happen, and it explains why people on site are referring to it as an accident, and unlucky.
I didn’t word that well; yes the lip strap stops the curb chain getting lost but it also stops the curb shanks going forward - some horses try to grab them. It doesn’t have to be tight. Although with the fashion for brutally tight nose bands I’m surprised no one’s tried it yet.

reynold

Visit site
I wonder if someone used a lip chain on him when leading in hand? That would also cause an injury above the incisors.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Hope this link works: If not have a look in Eurodressage. Good article.

Michele Betti: "FEI's Deafening Silence While Demand for More Ethical Dressage Sport Grows"