Lunging my young horse

DappleGreyDaydreamer

Visit site
I was lunging my 5 year old quickly yesterday after college, and 3 different people at my yard asked me why I wasn't using draw reins and a roller. Firstly, I don't yet own either, and secondly I'm working on teaching him HOW to lunge at the moment in just a bridle and a pair of brushing boots.
But it got me thinking, when would be an appropriate time to introduce him to a roller and draw reins on the lunge? Of course I'll wait until he completely understand the concept of lunging, but should I wait until he is working an established outline under saddle, or should draw reins come first to help that along? Should I use them at all?
My last horse was a lot older so I've never used them before, any advice appreciated!

crabbymare

Visit site
why on earth would you want to use draw reins to lunge? they are not designed for lunging and if you really must use them at all only under saddle with an established horse and a rider that knows how and when to have them act.

millitiger

Visit site
I use draw reins to lunge without any issues, lots of people do.

My mare works very well with this set up and I find it less restrictive than side reins for her and she is in a much softer outline.

Farma

Visit site
They must mean side reins surely as the draw rein method that I know of doesn't use a roller?
Either way I think I would be telling people to mind their business if I kept getting comments whilst I was lunging!

rachk89

Visit site
I often don't even use a halter when lunging. My horse practically lunges himself though i start him off and he goes round having a blast. He is more restrained if I put a training aid on him but I still take it all off at the end to let him go round at will and stretch.

kc100

Visit site
People have become so accustomed to using tack and gadgets to fix a problem, that when they see you lunging minus any gadgets they will presume you are doing something wrong. Believe me - you are not!

Its so important for young horses to find their own balance, and learn to move forwards in a good rhythm, rather than having their heads forced into place by someone who doesnt really know how to use side reins or draw reins properly.

If you have never used these pieces of tack before, and your horse is happy on the lunge in the bridle (you can use a lunge cavesson if you wanted something more similar to a headcollar, there is no bit on a lunge cavesson and it has loops on the noseband to attach the lunge line, meaning you dont have to stop to change sides) - then dont bother with any extra bits of tack.

Ignore anyone commenting on how you are doing things with your horse, unless that person commenting is your trainer! You will find at most livery yards the other horse owners think they know best, and love to get involved in other people's business. That is livery yards for you unfortunately, a collection of often bitchy women who dont actually know much about horses or riding, but to hide their own failings with their horse they like to put other people down and comment on what they are doing wrong.

In this case they are wrong - there is no need for draw reins, they may have meant side reins (they are more common for lunging) but again still no need for them. I know people do use them, and will argue that they work and dont have issues with them; however many people dont use draw reins or side reins because they believe they can cause lots of physical problems for the horse.

I really like this article on in-hand and lunge work; this comment in particular:
http://www.manolomendezdressage.com...and-by-manolo-mendez-with-caroline-larrouilh/
Since I want the horse to move freely and find his independent balance without being “framed” or held together by auxiliary aids, the cavesson is a better choice for my goals. I never use side reins for the same reason.

To me the only reason you'd use side reins or draw reins are to bring the horse down into an 'outline', and why would you think that holding a horse in an outline, with very little flexibility (side reins and draw reins are no where near as flexible as the reins in the riders hands) is beneficial to a horse I dont know.

When you are riding you have the flexibility to alter the horse's outline by the placement of your hands and the contact you have formed with the horse - you can alter between a more uphill outline down to a long/low outline to stretch the neck and relax the horse. Your hands are reactive to what the horse is doing, and you can allow a soft elastic contact through the hands. With gadgets like the draw reins or side reins, the horse cannot escape them and they are not particularly flexible, so the horse doesnt get a break from that same neck position; hence why it can cause tension and develop the incorrect muscles if used incorrectly.

So please dont listen to the others on your yard, they most likely have no idea what they are talking about, they are like sheep following what everyone else is doing, and when they have problems with their horse's their answer is to stick another piece of tack on the horse to fix the issue.

And please dont over-lunge your young horse, lunging is a good thing for them to learn so you can perhaps quickly lunge the horse (5-10 mins) before you ride as young horses if he's feeling a bit fresh, lunging pre-riding can help you to see from the ground what you are going to be dealing with today and to get a bit of that energy out. But constant lunging multiple times per week is really bad for their still developing joints, circles are much harder on horses than straight lines so constantly going round and around will do more harm than good. Keep your lunging sessions very short (no more than 10 mins) and ideally once a week max.

amy_b

Visit site
if you do want to introduce side reins or similar go for a 'bungee' training aid. then they can play with the contact and be comfortable.

Bernster

Visit site
Great post from kc100. I personally don't like side or draw reins as I'm not experienced enough to use them right and tbh neither are most of the people I've seen who do use them. I don't lunge my boy, who's 5 rising 6, and I don't really like gi going o the walker at all, as I want to keep the circles to a minimum whilst he's still growing. I'd rather do stuff in hand or ridden.

Simon Battram

Visit site
Totally agree with kc100. The young horse should be encouraged to stretch and move in a free unconstrained manner. Like this 5 year old:
http://tinyurl.com/okpn9em

Then when the horse is established on the single lunge I progress to lungeing with two reins. The reins go from your hands, to the highest rings on the roller, by the withers and then straight to the bit. With this method you can stretch down, pick up, you have an inside and outside rein (great for assisting with straightness) and you can then either go large and start the lateral work or lunge with two reins on the circle. You have all the variation you need, just the same as under saddle, without having to stop and change any settings.