Lunging with two reins? Photos?

EBHouse

Visit site
Just been reading the other lunging thread and was interested to see a lot of people commenting on how they lunge with two lines.

I was taught to do this years and years ago as an addition to long reining - just stepping across into a lunging position with one rein around the quarters to encourage movement from behind. Haven't done it since as prefer to use pessoa etc for this.

However I've seen a few people say they don't put the second line around the quarters- can anyone explain this a bit further? May be being dim but I just can't picture where the second line goes and how it works! Pics would be great if anyone has any! :)

Damnation

Visit site
This is my girl, I put the outside line over her back, I don't put it around her quaters as if she puts in a big step or a buck or a spook, the link around her bum is connected to her mouth and I don't want her to get yanked.

I even have brightly coloured lines so you can see where they are :D

muddygreymare

Visit site
Damnation, what does the line coming over her back do? Just give extra 'support'? I've only ever lunged with a single line or long reined so I'm just curious as I've never seen a horse lunged like yours before :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
As above: the outside line comes across the back. You need a roller although I've done the same with a saddle. It gives you the same effect as two reins when riding or long reining, and it's ten times easier to change the rein, etc. It does need more practise than one rein, and your positioning needs to be accurate but it's so much more useful.

Last edited:

Damnation

Visit site
Damnation, what does the line coming over her back do? Just give extra 'support'? I've only ever lunged with a single line or long reined so I'm just curious as I've never seen a horse lunged like yours before :)

It is lunging with two reins really, its hard to describe! Where abouts in Cumbria are you?

EBHouse

Visit site
This is my girl, I put the outside line over her back, I don't put it around her quaters as if she puts in a big step or a buck or a spook, the link around her bum is connected to her mouth and I don't want her to get yanked.

I even have brightly coloured lines so you can see where they are :D

That's so helpful, thanks Damnation :)

Are you able to use both lines quite independently so you can use the outside rein a little more if they fall out etc? I found there was far too much going on with it around the quarters and it was a faff to keep it in a safe place so never bothered doing it again once I'd been shown how it worked. This looks more manageable!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I need a lesson in this time keep mine straight as he always falls out or in. I don't trust that I'd do the right exercises without some one telling me though! Hrs great to lunge and long rein all through voice and body language but I know I'd miss something doing this if left to my own devices.

lawa

Visit site
Yes! Love two rein lunging I have done round the bum and over the back. I find give a much more stable feel to the bit and they act more as reins with you being able to 'feel' the heavier side and discourage leaning and theirfore promote a much more independent carriage.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
I want to try this with my mare as she cuts in and doesn't do proper circles!
Do you think that would help her if I can direct her with the extra rein to stay on the circle?

Damnation

Visit site
That's so helpful, thanks Damnation :)

Are you able to use both lines quite independently so you can use the outside rein a little more if they fall out etc? I found there was far too much going on with it around the quarters and it was a faff to keep it in a safe place so never bothered doing it again once I'd been shown how it worked. This looks more manageable!

It is more manageable but it is a learned art form for definate! Timing is everything. It can help straighten up, I don't use it too much on my girl as her default is to tuck her neck in so it doesn't help her too much, but we are getting there!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I personally prefer the outside rein behind the bum but have done as per photo if the horse is jumpy about it. IMO it's also easier to change the rein with the rein over the back, because there is less difference in length between inside and outside rein.

My long reins are part cord, which makes them a bit lighter and they also slide very easily in the rings on the roller.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I want to try this with my mare as she cuts in and doesn't do proper circles!
Do you think that would help her if I can direct her with the extra rein to stay on the circle?

it was an instant fix for my cob, who would lunge nicely one one rein, and then jump on your lap on the other rein. Somehow she just didn't 'get' it until I put the outside rein on.
If you haven't done it before, you might want to practice on a horse that already knows how to lunge nicely on both reins first, just so you get your hand in otherwise you might find you end up with spaghetti :lol:

Sprat

Visit site
Ok, rather silly question here that I really should know the answer too...

What is the different between long reining and lunging with 2 reins?

I try to do a lot of long reining with my mare, and have lunged her with a single lunge line. Is lunging with 2 lines simply working on a circle with the bonus of having outside rein control?

Deltic Blue

Visit site
it was an instant fix for my cob, who would lunge nicely one one rein, and then jump on your lap on the other rein. Somehow she just didn't 'get' it until I put the outside rein on.
If you haven't done it before, you might want to practice on a horse that already knows how to lunge nicely on both reins first, just so you get your hand in otherwise you might find you end up with spaghetti :lol:

I've done it before with my old mare, but she was very sensible and easy going. I used to long rein a lot, so I'm very used to the tangle of reins lol!

Damnation

Visit site

I try to do a lot of long reining with my mare, and have lunged her with a single lunge line. Is lunging with 2 lines simply working on a circle with the bonus of having outside rein control?

I think long reining is following the horse and running behind them? Lunging with 2 reins is on a circle.

That is my understanding - happy to be corrected? :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I personally prefer the outside rein behind the bum but have done as per photo if the horse is jumpy about it. IMO it's also easier to change the rein with the rein over the back, because there is less difference in length between inside and outside rein.

My long reins are part cord, which makes them a bit lighter and they also slide very easily in the rings on the roller.

Me too on both counts, always have outside line round the back to encourage engagement, have on occasion ended up with it right under the tail. I used to have standard lines but acquired a pair with cord ends which are fab for not jamming up and being quick to release when you want to reward.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

Yes and you can switch from one to the other, so do a bit of long lining work, put them on a circle briefly, go back to straight lines etc.

Sprat

Visit site
Yes and you can switch from one to the other, so do a bit of long lining work, put them on a circle briefly, go back to straight lines etc.

I though this was the case, but did wonder if I was missing something obvious!