Magnetic v back on track for veteran

mini-eventer

Visit site
I posted this in Tack Room but didn't get a response so I'm hoping your guys can help.

I'm looking for something to help my old boy (23) stay mobile in his old age. Specifically for arthritic changes. Nothing specific but he tends to get tight over his back and stiffer behind than he used to. Just takes longer to warm up nowadays but perfectly level.

Looking at equilibrium magnetic back pads, various magnetic rugs. Then I have seen back on track stuff which seams comparitively priced.

Does anyone recommend one over the other? Pluses and negatives?

Also any brand recommendations would be great.

Thanks for your help x

almostthere

Visit site
Love my Back on Track rug. I have no idea of the science (I inherited one originally) and there are a number of people who believe it is all hype and has NO science behind it but I do know that my horse always seems warm in hers even though it is only a relatively thin mesh rug when she would feel cold in a similarly thin non magnetic one so there is clearly something going on.....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Haven't used magnetic rugs so that's why I didn't comment on your thread in Tack Room. But like almostthere I rate my back on track rug. In addition my horse doesn't seem to get overheated in it so it's good for travelling.

Optimissteeq

Visit site
I posted this in Tack Room but didn't get a response so I'm hoping your guys can help.

I'm looking for something to help my old boy (23) stay mobile in his old age. Specifically for arthritic changes. Nothing specific but he tends to get tight over his back and stiffer behind than he used to. Just takes longer to warm up nowadays but perfectly level.

Looking at equilibrium magnetic back pads, various magnetic rugs. Then I have seen back on track stuff which seams comparitively priced.

Does anyone recommend one over the other? Pluses and negatives?

Also any brand recommendations would be great.

Thanks for your help x

Hi - I can't say I've gone down the magnetic route but my vet recommended previcox for my slightly arthritic lad. Its apparently used to treat inflammation and pain in dogs. I was told to give just 1/4 of a tablet daily and this seems to helping him loads. He's definitely a lot brighter and forward going.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have a bioflow rug. I am fairly certain it's the mesh rug rather than the magnets, which create the heat. The heat does however I believe help my horse. I'm not sure if you can buy a cheaper rug with the same mesh qualities that's the problem! My rug was over £400 new. I bought it second hand however. She wears it for all travelling.

I fancy a BOT for her as well. Probably an exercise rug but not totally sure.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've got a BOT mesh rug. The idea behind it is that ceramic fibres are melded into the rug material, and reflect heat back onto the horse. It's a well made and surprisingly heavy rug, which snuggles itself around the horse's contours.

Both of mine that wear it seem to relish it. I've also got a BOT tee shirt for me, which makes a lovely nightshirt, it's very comfortable and not at all sweaty.