Maiden mare

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
I wondered this too.
I’ve been wondering this today!

so she’s in a big barn, she’s been stabled in it at night since December, her field mate is next to her, she can see him but I feel him to be an unthreatening distance away.
I sleep in my lorry next to the barn and watch out of the window and on camera when it’s dark, but wondering whether to go inside tonight and not watch from the lorry? I try to be very quiet and not move but I think she may know I’m there? Perhaps it’s me?
Is there anyway I could tell if it’s the barn? She doesn’t appear unsettled in there..

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Please can you have firm words with her to deliver tonight!
We are all getting stressed and yours is one of the first threads i read every morning now for an update...

Absolutely I will!
Sorry to stress everyone out! I’m actually incredibly over whelmed with everyone’s help, support and nice comments. It means so much that everyone is as invested as I am! I’m grateful, thank you!

nagblagger

Visit site
I think tonight you make a 'big thing' of leaving the lorry for an hour...bet she will deliver then in your absence! My mare who I had only had for 4 months (had a bogof) actually waited until I was there at 9am, they are so unpredictable.

PurBee

Visit site
My ex
I think tonight you make a 'big thing' of leaving the lorry for an hour...bet she will deliver then in your absence! My mare who I had only had for 4 months (had a bogof) actually waited until I was there at 9am, they are so unpredictable.

my mare foaled the night/morning i had given up frantically checking every hour. Luckily she was an experienced broodmare so knew what was happening and what to do etc. I wouldnt have been so keen to take time off watch if she was a maiden though, so understand the OP’s predicament!
The morning i was greeted with the foal squealing a ‘hello’ at me is one of my most heart-bursting moments in life….and the relief it went well was also very welcomed!

Soon op….how exciting!

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Argh thank you!

would anyone be conferenced at this point? Maybe I’m over tired and just paranoid…
She’s going lame behind, getting stiffer each day and all her odema had been increasing and today it has reduced significantly. I feel like we are going backwards!!
Although the milk is still flowing ?

or is this just nature taking its time?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yup, friends 3rd mare dropped between 10.30 and 11 last week, during coffee break..... she had only been turned out at 8 and checked at 9.30, healthy foal on ground at just after 11am.
She has form for morning deliveries tho ?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Argh thank you!

would anyone be conferenced at this point? Maybe I’m over tired and just paranoid…
She’s going lame behind, getting stiffer each day and all her odema had been increasing and today it has reduced significantly. I feel like we are going backwards!!

I think it’s just nature taking its time. But as always, if you’re concerned- give your vet a buzz

TheMule

Visit site
Argh thank you!

I would probably want a vet visit if nothing by Monday

Four Seasons

Visit site
I have probably missed it, how many days is she? Have you tasted the milk? If it is sweet, it will be colostrum. If she's dripping colostrum, try to catch some in a bottle, you never know.... it might come in handy.

One of my friends maiden mares carried for 369 days, so wouldn't worry too much. Maidens are unpredictable and can keep you guessing for weeks ? But if you feel unsure, having the vet check won't do any harm.

Hoping that she foals soon for you though, so you can get a decent night's sleep ?