Maiden mare

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Thank you!

she is taking a while to stand, we’ve been up briefly for a few seconds but down again. Hopeful she’ll be up very soon. Approaching 2 hour mark so a little conscious of that

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Thank you everyone,

the vet is coming, the mare has started to become aggressive now the foal is up and she won’t let her near to suck.
Vet is on the way but very concerned we are nearly at 4 hours with no colostrum ?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thank you everyone,

the vet is coming, the mare has started to become aggressive now the foal is up and she won’t let her near to suck.
Vet is on the way but very concerned we are nearly at 4 hours with no colostrum ?

You and hubby and one other need to get a heacollar on the mare and put her next to the barn wall. One person at the head, one person on the quarters and one on the foal. You may need to twitch her.

Asha

Visit site
They can get a bit confused at first . While your waiting for the vet get a headcollar on the mare , shove her backside into the corner of the stable . Usually once the foal is on they relax
Good luck ?

Asha

Visit site
Thank you, we have tried with 3 of us, I directed baby, one held some food, another a front but the mare is having none of it?

Vet will be here soon ??

we had a maiden try and kick the foal around the stable when he tried to suckle . I called the vet , in the meantime I rammed her behind in the corner held her very tightly so she couldn’t move . Once the foal latched on she was fine , but we had to do the same when the foal went to suckle on the other side . After that we kept a close eye for a few hours but mare was fine.
Vet turned up just as foal was sucking . As amymay says , it will be fine once she understands

Clodagh

Visit site
With my mare she had to be twitched and me holding a stick to keep her from kicking the foal.
Stressful for you.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My maiden was reluctant to let foal feed at first. It took a while for her to settle. Don't worry and fret or you'll pass those feelings to the mare. Vet will help you.

nagblagger

Visit site
Congratulations. .so pleased she's arrived, but your mare is certainly keeping your stress levels up. Were you there for the birth?
Once things have settled more pics please..? crossing fingers all is ok ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
At a pinch you can strap a front leg up with a rope looped round the pastern then wrapped round the forearm.