Maiden mare

PurBee

Visit site
I hope saturday goes smoothly, thats great news!

I was wondering, to help the new mare take to the chilly’s foal, would it work to get a new clean cloth (not smelling of any detergents/washing powder) and wipe over the new mares body with it, then go to the foal and wipe the foal with the same cloth, transferring the new mares smell onto the foals body?

I dont know how new mares are generally introduced to orphans, or techniques used to help them pair, but animals generally know ‘their babies’ by their smell, so if baby smells like mum, would that work in favour of bonding? Anyone have experience of bonding new mum, helping her accept an orphan?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I am so sorry things have turned out this way. So pleased you have find a foster mum and agree that trhying to use smell could help. Puppies are often sent to their new homes with a blankey smelling of mum and our definitely snuggled up to the 'mum' blanket more than any others at first.

Re names: Ariella or Riella? Means Lion of God or Strength from God.
And there are echoes of both Pedlar and Chill in there I think.

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
All ok here!
The filly is very sprightly this evening, making us all laugh bucking and spurting around. We introduced her to a teddy and she’s had great fun stomping on it?

a long time horsey friend has come to stay to take on the night shift so I can get some sleep tonight, very exciting and incredibly grateful!

the mare is leaving in the morning and coming all the way from Kent, so a long haul for her but her vets have said she can do the journey.
and yes my vets will be here to meet the mare to ensure she has travelled well and also to help with introducing them both.
chilly will be moved to another yard a short while before the mare is due to arrive.

yes I’m nervous, anxious, excited, I’m not sure how to feel, I just really want it to go well!

Attachments

• 030CA460-EB25-4684-8C16-38C840ADD88F.png
    030CA460-EB25-4684-8C16-38C840ADD88F.png
    920 KB · Views: 99

Squeak

Visit site
I'm so glad you've had a slightly better day yesterday and I really hope you've had a good nights sleep. What a great friend and isn't this so what friends are all about.

Really hope today goes well.

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Thanks everyone, fingers crossed ??!!

Absolutely, friends don’t come much better than this one.

Its been over whelming the amount of people that have stepped up to help with this situation, as well as old friends but you guys and social media to help find a surrogate mare.
Its been amazing and everyone’s done it out of pure kindness.
I’m just so grateful to everyone and you all really have gotten us through the week!❤️