Maiden mare

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Just catching up and I’m so sorry to see that things haven’t worked out for Chilly and her foal but very glad to see that you have a surrogate on the way. I’ll keep everything crossed that all goes well there for you. Hope you are okay too, can’t even imagine how you’ve been feeling seeing your beautiful foal on her own, incredibly tough situation to be in. Good luck for today and I look forward to seeing how things go.

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
The Facebook post was about our surrogate!! That is why I am so late posting, she arrived at 7:30 this evening.

As I’d mentioned earlier about the willingness of people, poor Tracey’s transport fell through and a complete stranger lent her the horse box so she could get her mare to us. I am honestly speechless at the kindness we have all received.

Chilly left without a care in the world, she is happy with my competition horse up the road.

And the mare (Poppy) has been foot perfect, she has allowed the filly to suckle, they still need to bond but the mare has been so quiet and gentle. My filly is still timid after my mare has scared her but she is already growing in confidence and Poppy is really looking after her. I don’t feel as though it could have gone any better.

I am still watching closely on the cameras but I can feel myself starting to relax. I can feel this horrific week ending

Attachments

• 95C63F91-253F-4F9B-8989-84BC4424B646.jpeg
    95C63F91-253F-4F9B-8989-84BC4424B646.jpeg
    889.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 9E601F2E-24CF-4069-AB7A-051F78DA4D31.jpeg
    9E601F2E-24CF-4069-AB7A-051F78DA4D31.jpeg
    889.1 KB · Views: 150

Clodagh

Visit site
The Facebook post was about our surrogate!! That is why I am so late posting, she arrived at 7:30 this evening.

As I’d mentioned earlier about the willingness of people, poor Tracey’s transport fell through and a complete stranger lent her the horse box so she could get her mare to us. I am honestly speechless at the kindness we have all received.

Chilly left without a care in the world, she is happy with my competition horse up the road.

And the mare (Poppy) has been foot perfect, she has allowed the filly to suckle, they still need to bond but the mare has been so quiet and gentle. My filly is still timid after my mare has scared her but she is already growing in confidence and Poppy is really looking after her. I don’t feel as though it could have gone any better.

I am still watching closely on the cameras but I can feel myself starting to relax. I can feel this horrific week ending
I’m so very pleased. The best ending possible for them both. I hope all goes well overnight for you and you can start to enjoy the filly x

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Thank you!
Yes, I’m somewhat excited that I can start to enjoy the filly and relax a little more.

The horse world has really stepped up and been incredible. I’m blown away!

I should of updated earlier but when Tracey’s transport fell through I just felt so deflated.

I absolutely will keep you all updated with their progress, I don’t want this thread to end! The company of you all has been lovely xx

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Thank you! So so positive, I just hope they have a nice settled night.

My body is definitely starting to relax and let go. Another night of just checking the camera and then I can tell I’m going to have the best of sleeps?

My vet suggested we wait a few weeks before naming her, rather pessimistic but I understand. Nothing has sprung to my mind though and I do feel after everything she needs a really strong name. Any suggestions are welcome!

PurBee

Visit site
Brilliant news Poppy is gentle with your foal, a very positive start! So glad for you all ?

About names - im perusing some mythical strength/benevolence goddess-type names you might find inspiring :

Epona (Celtic) - Protector of horses, donkeys, and mules. She was also an ancient fertility Goddess. Epona's Goddess name comes from the Gaullist word “epos” meaning "great mare."

Hemera (Greek) - The Primordial Goddess of daylight.

Indunn (Nordic) - Goddess of youth and springtime. Her name means she who renews and has several alternative spellings including Indun, Iduna and Idhunna.

Juno (Roman) - Goddess of marriage, pregnancy and childbirth. She protected the finances of the citizens of Rome. Her name is a mystery; it speaks of a contradictory role for this Goddess, before her alignment to the matronly, Greek Goddess, Hera. Juno's name is derived from the root “yeu” meaning "vital force" indicating a more youthful, maiden Goddess.

Nike (Greek) - This Greek Goddess name means victory, she represented success especially in the sporting arena which is why her name was chosen for a famous brand of sportswear.

Vesta (Roman) - Guardian of the sacred Flame. Vesta’s name and function is derived from the Greek Goddess Hestia.

Arion was an immortal horse in Greek mythology, which was very fast and bred by the gods. According to a source, it also had the ability to speak.
(i’d feminise this name to Ariona, Ari as a nickname!)

I personally like ‘Prana’ as a name for an orphan - Prana is the Sanskrit word for the energy that is the essence of our existence. It is the life vitality within us. Seems fitting for an orphan foal as prana is all it has to sustain it when rejected by its dam.

Hope in these coming hours and early days together they bond well and little foal goes from strength to strength! ?

Louisa&Chilly

Visit site
Thank you, I do like Prana, and Juno! After spending 5 days with her birth mother, she is developing some facial expressions that resemble a Piranha ??
I hope these will be lost with time spent with Poppy ??

They appeared to have a very settled night, and seem slightly closer this morning which is so positive. They have to stay in for a few days to bond, I suppose the next step is then turning them out together, but I’m sure it will be fine Poppy really does seem like a sweet heart.

Attachments

• 979D7028-11BF-4BC7-BF25-EF5FA9C8F45F.png
    979D7028-11BF-4BC7-BF25-EF5FA9C8F45F.png
    610.2 KB · Views: 139