Making your own muscle wash for post xc

paddi22

Visit site
Part of my lockdown hobbies was finding ways to make homemade versions of stuff I usually buy. My next project is a home made muscle wash for my horses for after the xc. the one I currently use has these ingredients
Lavender Oil
  • Rosemary Oil
  • Methy Salicylate(Oil of wintergreen)
  • Witch Hazel
  • purified water
  • Ethanol
  • Lactic Acid
  • emollients(Sorbitol, Propane- 1,2 diol)
  • Surfactants(caster oil soap, Lauroyl Sarcosine)
I know some folk on here are amazing at getting ingredients for stuff so
-would anyone have any ideas/suggestions for a homemade recipe that would work in a similar way??
-Or how I might source the correct form for the parts im not sure of (mainly the last three?)
- anyone hazard a guess on how much of each part you'd put in, say, a lite of water?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
So the ethanol might be the tricky bit, I'm not sure how available that is in normal life (apart from down the booze aisle) the rest should be fine.
propane 1,2 diol will be more easily found propylene glycol.

re how much, I feel some experiments coming on :D

Shay

Visit site
Isopropyl alchol is (or used to be!) available from DIY stores etc. Stocks are a bit low ATM as folk used it to make hand sanitizer! But its easier to source than ethanol I think? Open to being corrected - but lactic acid can be found in the whey of gone off milk?

paddi22

Visit site
I'm confused about the lactic acid ingredient? I've been trying to google the info, but for any science peeps, how and why would you rub lactic acid into muscles?

paddi22

Visit site
Explain to me the point of a 'muscle wash'?
When last I dissected, muscles were internal, and covered by this thing called 'skin'. Save your cash, use water.

But water doesn't do the same thing a good linament can do. If you have a horse that's done a strenuous xc course then the properties of a good lineament can help
- give relief from minor soreness and stiffness
- have stuff like alcohol in them then speeds up cooling
- some have mild antiseptics which is handy for a horse that might have got small scrapes or cuts xc
- has stuff like menthol that stimulates circulation

it's not a miracle liquid, but it's highly beneficial for a horse that's done a round of heavy xc. it's not the same as water and muscle wash is just what it's commonly called.

I am not sure if your 'skin' thing is a joke? I grasped the concept of how skin worked when I use arnica or antiseptic cream and noticed it doesn't just float in a creamy layer over my body.

paddi22

Visit site
there's a load of different ones that can all target different things, but this is the best all-round one that I like and always saw good results with
https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/grooming/wash-box/body-washes/muscle-slosh
but there's loads of ones on the market

I ran out of it last year and I really noticed the horse being much stiffer the next day.
If I finish a course and notice a load of nicks or tiny cuts from from jumping hedges etc then I use one that's got more antiseptic stuff in it

I think I just got into the habit cause I came from an old-school hunting yard as a kid and they always used a lineament on horses after hunting or hard work. I haven't a clue what was in it, but we were always taught to wash them down in it.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
But water doesn't do the same thing a good linament can do. If you have a horse that's done a strenuous xc course then the properties of a good lineament can help
- give relief from minor soreness and stiffness
- have stuff like alcohol in them then speeds up cooling
- some have mild antiseptics which is handy for a horse that might have got small scrapes or cuts xc
- has stuff like menthol that stimulates circulation

it's not a miracle liquid, but it's highly beneficial for a horse that's done a round of heavy xc. it's not the same as water and muscle wash is just what it's commonly called.

I am not sure if your 'skin' thing is a joke? I grasped the concept of how skin worked when I use arnica or antiseptic cream and noticed it doesn't just float in a creamy layer over my body.

I read the blurb on the website, and was particularly interested in one or two of the claims;
1. Stimulates blood flow to the whole body & lower limbs
2. Aids relief of stiffness, soreness & inflammation
3. Can be used neat or partially diluted as a stimulating leg brace

These properties could be amazing - I wonder why we are not using muscle slosh instead of bute, for 'soreness', or for humans who have musculo-skeletal pain? Sounds like a miracle cure.

:D
And for cooling a horse after XC or other exertion, the scientifically proven method is using both water, and air - in that you put water on the horse and the evaporation removes heat.

And just leaving this here... ;)

ihatework

Visit site
there's a load of different ones that can all target different things, but this is the best all-round one that I like and always saw good results with
https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/grooming/wash-box/body-washes/muscle-slosh
but there's loads of ones on the market

I ran out of it last year and I really noticed the horse being much stiffer the next day.
If I finish a course and notice a load of nicks or tiny cuts from from jumping hedges etc then I use one that's got more antiseptic stuff in it

I think I just got into the habit cause I came from an old-school hunting yard as a kid and they always used a lineament on horses after hunting or hard work. I haven't a clue what was in it, but we were always taught to wash them down in it.

Honestly. I think it just makes the human feel better. It also smells nice.

I think if it made a difference to the horse you would see it being used religiously at the end of races, endurance and 3DE finishes. You don’t ?

Reactions: TGM

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
People still use radox :p

Personally I have always found a wash product that I don't then need to rinse a great benefit for a greasy sweaty beast.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Honestly. I think it just makes the human feel better. It also smells nice.

I think if it made a difference to the horse you would see it being used religiously at the end of races, endurance and 3DE finishes. You don’t ?

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with using things because you like the smell.
But - generally these things do nothing - if they had any effect they'd be FEI banned anyway. ;)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Methyl salicylate makes the skin feel cool at first but then warm. In humans it is not advised to use it after exercise when the skin is hot.

paddi22

Visit site
I read the blurb on the website, and was particularly interested in one or two of the claims;
1. Stimulates blood flow to the whole body & lower limbs
2. Aids relief of stiffness, soreness & inflammation
3. Can be used neat or partially diluted as a stimulating leg brace

These properties could be amazing - I wonder why we are not using muscle slosh instead of bute, for 'soreness', or for humans who have musculo-skeletal pain? Sounds like a miracle cure.

:D
And for cooling a horse after XC or other exertion, the scientifically proven method is using both water, and air - in that you put water on the horse and the evaporation removes heat.

And just leaving this here... ;)

you posted a link to sarcoid product that hasn't been mentioned at all in my thread?

- bute is a medicinal painkiller. there's big difference between using a relaxing bath foam (like radox) versus paracetamol. plenty of people put in Epsom salts or radox after that have a fall. I think a lot of people feel it helps stiff muscles relax

- there is a huge benefit in washing cuts and nicks quickly with an antiseptic after an xc course

plus plenty of riders use these ligaments. most ones I know do? I've also attended many vets talks on aftercare that say they are beneficial. not miraculous, not amazing, but they have benefits. I know I like taking a bath with radox, Epsom salts and essential oils if I feel stiff, so I think it's no different for my horse as a beneficial thing to do?

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
IHW runs off to fill a very deep bath for the horse, because it’s definitely the bubble bath that does the trick, not the extended soaking in warm water.

PS - I have no issue with people using them, just the very dodgy advertising

paddi22

Visit site
so do people think there are no natural remedies that aid muscle relaxation at all? I used to do marathon running and was generally advised by physio's etc that certain soaks were good for relaxing muscles. I haven't the will to google the science of it but I just assumed it had been scientifically proven?

also did the practice of washing down a horse with a mild antiseptic after hunting and clipping go out of fashion or was it just a thing in yards in the 80s where I was at? I got the impression it was a normal practice of good horse care to clean out any nicks or cuts from hunting?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I use radox! And I also use muscle wash although I know it as slosh wash. I find it lifts sweat off slightly better than water alone and makes my horse smell better. If it doesn't anything else, then great. Its not expensive and lasts ages as well. I'm going to try dettol and some peppermint oil or similar when my current one runs out though.

millitiger

Visit site
I use a cap of dettol, and then add drops of tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender oil whenever i wash off.
It smells lovely, any little nicks are cleaned and does a much better job on removing sweat and grease than water alone.
I also use a flannel for legs and head instead of a sponge which does a much better job of cleaning.