Maliniois

GSD Woman

Visit site
I love to watch a good mali working but would not want to own one. I see there is a new film out with a mali in a starring role, wait for the rush to own them by people who have no idea how to handle them.

We already have that here. After one was used to help capture Osama bin-Laden they caught the eye of the public. In the hands of someone who knows the breed and knows how to train and handle one they are good dogs. Too bad that is becoming more and more rare.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I have seen quite a few young Malinois up for rehoming recently.

One on FB currently. Only 3 months old. In second home not inc. breeder and looking for 3rd home. :(

I don't think Lucy's Law applies to private sellers.

I can forward the link by pm if anyone is able to fulfil this pup's needs.

hazelnut

Visit site
I have a Mali, he’s ace (total love bug that I trust with everyone), but I agree, wouldn’t recommend as a first dog. Simply because I am sure he would not do well in the type of home that I see too often where they’re treated as little fur babies and not the dogs they are. Tbf, that probably applies to most dogs ….

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
In fairness from the clips I saw of the film, the dog is a PITA.

Only met one I liked/that had solid nerve and he's been dead for nearly a decade. He put a lot of bad guys in hospital and couldn't be touched by anyone except his handler. His breeder doesn't sell to anyone he doesn't know.

Moobli

Visit site
Now I’ve figured out image size lol. This is my dude. He goes back to his shepherd roots and is training to work sheep. His dad was a working police dog in Belgium and his mum was a retired guide dog. Versatile breed for sure! View attachment 87425
He’s gorgeous! How is the sheep training going? Our last assistant shepherd trained his Mali on sheep and she was pretty useful.

hazelnut

Visit site
He's gorgeous, and black is a really unusual colour isn't it.

Yes it is and not actually acceptable to some Kennel Clubs. Don’t quote me but from what I remember it can happen in European lines and harks back to one Groenendaels shepherd in the 1970s slipping into the mix, this guy
I really should sit down and do some more research, the above is just a what my boys fathers owner mentioned. https://en.working-dog.com/dogs-details/12982/Andor-van-de-Ijsselvloed

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I think they are a lovely dog, but they definitely need a job, and experienced handling. I've only really known one dog well, and he had the misfortune to belong to a rather macho young man (it was his 1st dog too). The dog did come right-ish eventually, but certainly wouldn't be safe with new dogs, he is OK after careful introduction.

Moobli

Visit site
I’m not too sure, I’ll ask my brother. I know that they travelled a fair way to find a reputable breeder.

I have an acquaintance who breeds the show line ones and they seem to be quite a different animal to the working lines (as is often the case) and probably better suited to most non working homes.
She looks lovely.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
A lot of older school people still consider the Belgian Shepherd to be one breed with four types, sometimes more than type could come up in one litter, they were interbred, etc etc. That's why black malinois can pop up. In all honesty in some of the ringsport/KNPV/NVBK lines there is all sorts of blood in there including Dutch shepherds, which are also a similar type, a lot of the 'Malis' in those sports are a bit of a mish mash.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
A lot of older school people still consider the Belgian Shepherd to be one breed with four types, sometimes more than type could come up in one litter, they were interbred, etc etc. That's why black malinois can pop up. In all honesty in some of the ringsport/KNPV/NVBK lines there is all sorts of blood in there including Dutch shepherds, which are also a similar type, a lot of the 'Malis' in those sports are a bit of a mish mash.
What are the 4 types? I know of the Malinois, Tervueren, one beginning with G......