Manes on 2 sides??

chole2020

Visit site
Never really took much note until hubby pointed it out earlier i know you get double maned, but my tbs mane is on the right so is every other horse/pony ive known of but just brought a new horse & his mane is on the left??? Am i completely stupid

Auslander

Visit site
Alf can't decide which side his should be, so he's opted for both

10154055_10152395045445730_1050706516682400866_n.jpg

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I have one with a mane that lies half right, half left :( drives me mad! but worse yet, I have one with thick frizzy hair that has enough mane for two very thick manes, one on each side- but the frizzyness makes it all stick up and lie forward :( I try to keep plaits in over to the right to train it but it never works for long .

Mike007

Visit site
Lancelot had a mane that was so thick and sraight up that I could put a line of plaitsBOTH SIDES of his neck ,and NOBODY ever noticed!!!!!

Auslander

Visit site
Looks nice and comfy to land on - if things go wrong :)

Things have been known to go horribly pear-shaped. Unfortunately, the default manoeuvre involves the mane disappearing underneath my right leg - so I tend to end up hanging over empty space, rather than a nice comfy neck/mane!

Embo

Visit site
My last horse's mane fell to the left.

B's mane was on the right when I bought him, but now he sports a middle parting... I just brush it back over onto the right every evening. Sometimes will plait it or bunch it. Doesn't really bother me enough to really do something about it, especially as it brushes back over so easily.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no 'proper' side. It's like being right/left handed in a way. The majority prefer the right, with some on the left - and a few that like both!

MileAMinute

Visit site
B's mane was on the right when I bought him, but now he sports a middle parting... I just brush it back over onto the right every evening. Sometimes will plait it or bunch it. Doesn't really bother me enough to really do something about it, especially as it brushes back over so easily.

Same here. My boy's mane is so thick it falls on both sides - I do brush it over to the correct side but once we get going it all flops everywhere again. It doesn't bother me although part of me does wish it would stay put and look tidier!

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Loving Alf's mane, the picture makes me want to lean forward and bury my face in it and give him a big hug lol. My mare has 3/4 of her mane on the right and the top 1/4 goes left, drives me absolutely mad and I spend all my time flipping it back over, her mane also has a kink in it to which makes me wish they did straighteners for horses!

One of our liveries horses has a mane that lies lovely and flat all on the left. :)

Meems

Visit site
My mare's mane can go whichever side it wants to go, it's not something I worry about. It does fall 80% to the left with about 20% over to the right.

Visit site
So who decided that manes should be on the right ? I have never had a horse with a natural right handed mane, I think we should campaign for it to be left handed !

NellRosk

Visit site
My mare's is on the left, and no amount of plaiting it over and gelling/ hairspraying it can make it go to right. Am I doing something wrong or is she just destined to be a leftie forever?

Princess Rosie

Visit site
I'd be happy to join your campaign if I could get my mare's mane to lie just on one side. Wonder why it drives me so nuts, maybe I need to chill! Lol x

lelly

Visit site
I have one pony who has a right handed mane, one pony who has a left handed mane and new baby cob lies both sides. I must admit I would prefer the cobs to lie one side or the other but I don't think it ever will.

Meems

Visit site
So who decided that manes should be on the right ? I have never had a horse with a natural right handed mane, I think we should campaign for it to be left handed !

It's one of those olde worlde rules, which dates back to the days of yore!!! I'm pretty sure it still applies in showing classes.

FubsyMog

Visit site
Another wondering why lying on the right is deemed correct - was there once some practical logic to it, now irrelevant, or was it always purely arbitrary? I would have thought if it was to do with swords etc, having the mane on the right would have increased possiblity of getting caught!

Meems

Visit site
Another wondering why lying on the right is deemed correct - was there once some practical logic to it, now irrelevant, or was it always purely arbitrary? I would have thought if it was to do with swords etc, having the mane on the right would have increased possiblity of getting caught!

Unless you were left-handed and went off into battle with your sword in your left hand, in which case if your horse's mane was on the right side there was no danger at all (well apart from the obvious dangers of going into battle!!)

FubsyMog

Visit site
Unless you were left-handed and went off into battle with your sword in your left hand, in which case if your horse's mane was on the right side there was no danger at all (well apart from the obvious dangers of going into battle!!)

Was presuming the majority were right-handed! :)

fatpiggy

Visit site
My mare's mane was as good as gold and grew correctly, then in her old age it kicked over the traces, grew on both sides in one 6 inch part of her neck (double thickness too) and generally misbehaved. On the plus side though, both her mane and her slightly wirey tail which could sprout knots just hanging there and needed brushing out fully several times a day to keep it under control, got really soft to the touch and her tail could go a week on a single brushing. I've always assumed it was down to hormonal changes in the same way many women report a change in the quality (and thickness) of their hair with the onset of the menopause.