Manes on 2 sides??

pennyturner

Visit site
Another wondering why lying on the right is deemed correct - was there once some practical logic to it, now irrelevant, or was it always purely arbitrary? I would have thought if it was to do with swords etc, having the mane on the right would have increased possiblity of getting caught!

I would have thought that wielding a sword (or doing anything else) with the right hand, it would be easier to have both reins handled in one hand on the side without the mane. Also a little easier for gathering reins when mounting.

FubsyMog

Visit site
I would have thought that wielding a sword (or doing anything else) with the right hand, it would be easier to have both reins handled in one hand on the side without the mane. Also a little easier for gathering reins when mounting.

That does make sense. Although, did horses in battle even have manes or were they hogged - I wonder when hogging was invented. Sorry, going a bit off track now!

WindyStacks

Visit site
My horse has an "alf"! :D

I did read recently that it indicates even muscles along the neck. That's probably clutching at straws by owners of these asbo-looking nags.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Same here. My boy's mane is so thick it falls on both sides - I do brush it over to the correct side but once we get going it all flops everywhere again. It doesn't bother me although part of me does wish it would stay put and look tidier!

My pic didn't upload...

IMG_8755_zpsce2b605e.jpg

puppystitch

Visit site
Oh I am so in awe of these incredible bushy manes! My horse's mane is barely a few strands thick - very easy to brush and keep tidy, but these photos just make me want a mane I can bury my face in and hold on to when things go awry!

Bojingles

Visit site
Oh dear, this thread reminds me of when, as a teenager, I asked my Dad what it meant when tailors asked do you dress to the left or the right. I'm blushing thinking of it and I'm 45 now ;)

book_lover

Visit site
My horse's mane falls to the left, my friend (who owns the livery) keeps brushing it over the the right in a subtle attempt to make me conform! When I get him from the field the next day it's always on the left again...

Nessa4

Visit site
Our ShirexTB alternates between moults, so it is currently right handed but when he gets his full winter coat it will be left handed. He's done this all his life (he's 13 atm). We did hog him once and he really suited him, but my friend who rides him had great difficulty getting on (nothing to hold on to!).

Auslander

Visit site
Auslander, that is an incredible mane! Just looking at it made me grin - I'm jealous!

It drives me mad! He's quite a smart chap, but has the most rebellious mane in the world! I have to pull it, then leave it a few days while he decides which bit of hair is going where, before I can tidy it up! It was on the right the other day, I pulled it, and the next morning - it was like this...

10620785_10152691363965730_5549449885540068139_n.jpg

maccachic

Visit site
It drives me mad! He's quite a smart chap, but has the most rebellious mane in the world! I have to pull it, then leave it a few days while he decides which bit of hair is going where, before I can tidy it up! It was on the right the other day, I pulled it, and the next morning - it was like this...

10620785_10152691363965730_5549449885540068139_n.jpg

Hes just exercising his right to be an individual and not follow the crowd?? Punk looks the current rage maybe?

Or maybe he fell asleep after a big night and some of his mates thought it would be funny to play with his hair..