Manure brickettes/poo bricks - Photo story!

Garnet

Visit site
My sister and I gave our Dad one of the heavy duty manure brick makers for Christmas 2012. Dad has been as happy as a pig in manure ever since, perfecting his poo brick making technique! Here is the photographic story so far . . .
Firstly, the evidence of his industry – around 300 poo bricks, drying happily on purpose-built shelving, four shelves deep, with five or six bricks per shelf, resting on two lengths of bamboo cane. Initially Mum lost all the bamboo canes from her vegetable patch, but the brick-making industry quickly outgrew that supply, so Dad has been keeping a local garden centre in business supplying canes!
picture.php

picture.php

Next – equipment and modifications. Dad has replaced the original lever handle with a longer one to reduce the amount of effort required to squeeze the bricks. In the photo, he is holding up the original handle supplied, to show the length of the modified handle. Note the concrete mixer – a brick-making industry requires industrial quantities of poo mixture! Mum’s pony is bedded on Megasorb and rubber matting, so there is not much fibre in the manure, and the bricks were too crumbly when made of this alone. Dad has therefore experimented with additives, starting with shredded paper, but discarded that idea as too labour intensive after he had shredded most of the contents of his study and my sister’s office! His current preferred additive is woodshavings, so he bought one bale of the largest flake shavings available, which is used a double handful at a time in the concrete mixer, and he is part-way through the first bale.
picture.php

picture.php

Brick handling technique. Dad’s production line has evolved into a slick procedure, with tools adapted to improve brick handling, reduce dropped bricks, and reduce general cursings and swearings to save the neighbours’ blushes!
Dad has created a carrying board for wet bricks, with grooves to stop the bamboo canes from rolling off. This enables him easily to transfer wet bricks in batches of five on their bamboo canes onto the drying racks, with no breakages – simples!
Uniform for brick manufacture includes full overalls, wellingtons, heavy duty rubber gloves and waterproof gaiters worn on the arms to avoid soggy-sleeve incidents.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dad is now burning the first batches of bricks he made and is pleased with the results. There is no smell – verified by Mum! Transporting the bricks into the house has been the latest process to benefit from Dad’s ingenuity. He has purchased a couple of brick carriers from a builder’s merchant – ta-dah!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dad places a row of poo bricks on top of the wood and the effect he has observed is that the wood seems to burn hotter with the bricks, which has been handy in this cold weather!
Overall Dad is tickled pink with his new toy, and at the age of 73, has been pottering about outside in the garage, tool shed and woodshed for the last three months, gainfully employed in both mind and body, finding out that there is fuel for “free” in that muck heap!

Hopefully this will inspire others to great industry too - if you have any questions, I will relay them to Dad!

ribbons

Visit site
Could you ask dad if it is just poo and shavings in the mixer or does he add any water.
Also where did you buy the brick maker. I don't want to waste time and money getting a flimsy one.

LynH

Visit site
Fab report and photos!! Thanks so much for taking the time to show this.

Is he just using them in the log burner or to heat the house or water too? How many bricks does he use per day? I'm trying to work out if it viable to use manure in a biomass boiler but suspect it would be too time consuming. I would at least like to heat our two living rooms with wood burners and my OH needs convincing of it's practicality before he gives up part of his garage space to poo storage.

MiniMilton

Visit site
That's amazing! Do you use rotted manure from the muck heap or fresh stuff straight from the stable?
I saw a paper brick maker in a DIY store, is it the same thing?

dafthoss

Visit site
I just love the idea that your 73 year old dad is making poo bricks in the garage :D it's the sort of mad thing I can see my dad doing when he's that age

Clippy

Visit site
Don't waste your time with a cheap briquette maker, I got one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/paper-bri...e_Garden_Other_Fireplaces&hash=item2a2a3f58dc
He's quite local to me, ring him up, you'll get it cheaper than on eBay!

I made a few batches but have burned most of them. Yes, they do burn hotter than wood and there's no smell whatsoever. We can burn about 10 in the evenings with a couple of logs.

There's something strangely therapeutic about making, drying and burning them!

Really enjoying this thread. Want to see more pics (is that sad?)

Landcruiser

Visit site
Fantastic! I tried making some a few weeks ago as an experiment - used my 2lb loaf tin! The bricks were really light and crumbly, and took ages to dry - pretty useless, so I'd more or less written the idea off. Now I'm re-inspired:D

indie999

Visit site
That is brilliant and sort of free and not going to waste(excuse pun)!

Question?

Recipe is needed? Please?

In India the bricks (clay) are burnt in ovens made of cow dung so I guess it must get hot enough.

I think your dad is fab. What a production line he has! I want to make some now.

Recipe please.

Clippy

Visit site
Fantastic! I tried making some a few weeks ago as an experiment - used my 2lb loaf tin! The bricks were really light and crumbly, and took ages to dry - pretty useless, so I'd more or less written the idea off. Now I'm re-inspired:D

This piece of kit compresses it much more than you ever could any other way and there's a filter to get loads of moisture out. It's the kind of thing that will last forever so will pay for itself over and over again. I'm going to get cracking this summer and do loads :)

Garnet

Visit site
I'm glad you all like the story!

Ribbons - yes there is water added too in the cement mixer. Dad experimented to get the right amount to make good bricks. The eBay link in Clippy's post #13 is the one Dad has got.

LynH - the logburner just heats the house and does not have backboiler. My parents' house has two back-to-back inglenook fireplaces with a woodburner in each, in the centre of the house, so one woodburner is kept burning day and night in winter to warm the core of the house.

Minimilton - I think either fresh or rotted manure works, but you would have to experiment with the amount of water added to the mix.

Indie999 - the recipe is poo and water! Dad needed to add fibre (woodshavings) as Megasorb and poo is very crumbly, but if your horse is bedded on straw, shavings or hemp/aubiose, that would probably be fibrous enough to hold together in a brick. The bricks are made to burn to provide heat, rather than to bake to harden for building purposes - just in case that wasn't clear from the story!

Dafthoss - I love it too - such a mad idea, but Dad is having such FUN!

MiniMilton

Visit site
I've been thinking about this thread A LOT last night. This morning I asked OH to buy me the brick maker for my birthday next week (he was a little surprised to say the least)
I was thinking you could line the brick maker with wet paper before you fill with manure so it would help with the crumbly handling issues? You would have a manure brick sealed in paper? This is such an inspiring thread, it'll change my life!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Thread made me cry, over the past few years we've lost our parents and the best loved parents of some of our friends and I just think of how much fun some of them would have had experimenting and refining the process, just like your dad is. I'm so glad he's enjoying both his industry and the results of it so much.:)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
What a fantastic post, ingeniuty, industry and inspiration... all rolled into one!

Well written OP! :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm curious as to the technique used to get them from the bamboo on the board to transferring the bamboo (and bricks) to the shelving?

Garnet

Visit site
Thread made me cry, over the past few years we've lost our parents and the best loved parents of some of our friends and I just think of how much fun some of them would have had experimenting and refining the process, just like your dad is. I'm so glad he's enjoying both his industry and the results of it so much.:)

Oh, hugs (((Jemima)))

Garnet

Visit site
I'm curious as to the technique used to get them from the bamboo on the board to transferring the bamboo (and bricks) to the shelving?

Aaah, now that is where Dad's precision engineering comes in! The bamboo canes are long enough to rest on the shelves, but the carrying board is narrower than the width of the shelves. The bamboo canes overhang the ends of the carrying board, so the bricks are carried to the shelves, the bamboo canes rest on the shelves and the carrying board drops away underneath, ready to carry the next batch!

I will ask Dad when the production line is due to be fired up next, and then I'll see if I can persuade Mum to take some more photos . . .

Venevidivici

Visit site
Fantastic thread&photos! Your Dad is very clever-love his industriousness and ingenuity! When faced with a problem he creates a solution and then tweaks his solution to be as efficient as it can be-a proper scientist and engineer!:)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
excellent! I could see slipping them on could be problematic!

ask mum for videos instead ;) and tell her your Dad is now an internet sensation :D :D

JillA

Visit site
I made a fair few during that few days of false spring we had a few weeks ago, using a small briquette maker (couldn't work out where to fix the big wall mounted one and wanted to test it out before I made the investment).
I used poo from the fields, rather than the stables, so no bedding as I use straw, and I suspected it might break the bricks apart. I collected it in a plastic wheelbarrow, added more water, chopped through it with my plastic snow shovel and got filling the briquette maker (yes, good rubber goves!!!). I could easily make 12 or 15 in one session, and I turned mine out into one of several perforated plastic greengrocers trays I inherited with my house. They then went into a building with good ventilation and when they were dry enough to handle (a few days) I brought them home into my outdoor boiler room. Dry enough to use in a couple of weeks, although once they appear t be dry I found it best to leave them another few days becuse the middles still wouldn't be dry. They are unbelievably light when they are dry and yes, they burned very very well. No photos I'm afraid but I plan to do more when the weather improves and I begin poo picking again. Just working out a storage area - the canes are a great idea.

Carmen6

Visit site
What a wonderful idea. It takes care of the horse waste, reduces your carbon footprint and keeps the parents out of mischief.

I'm wondering if it would interest my two older brothers also. They used to try to burn dog poo when we were kids.Dog poo doesn't burn well.