Many tears Animal Rescue!

111ex111

Visit site
I just arrived home from many tears- im sure some of you would like to know how I got on :)

well- I had the time of my life! dont get me wrong it was hard work, up and out at 7am and didn't get in till 5pm! I enjoyed every single second of it and will jump at the chance to go back there!
first things first- They are not a registered charity because there is also a boarding kennels on the same property which takes a profit so would make it difficult to become a charity.
Secondly- they defo do not just take the 'fluffy/pretty' dogs!! Okay so I didnt see any staffies, but there were lots and lots of boxers, whippets, terriers etc, even a bull dog x shih tzu which was interesting!

I didnt get to chat with the owners because they were so busy- I really did not expect to see so many visitors! They are very strict with their re homing policy because lots of families come in expecting to get a 8 week old puppy, take it home then leave it at their house all day while their at work. The dogs have had a bad life so they want to make sure the dog will not end up in another rescue!

The place was very tidy and well organised! the only thing I did find was that some of the paid staff were very patronizing towards me and other volunteers :(

I even got to watch the vet perform a couple of operations which was amazing!
My days basically consisted of checking on the dogs and puppies in the morning, cleaning them out which takes ages because as soon as you finish they s**t all over the floor again!! Then I either sat in with a nervous dog which I loved doing or taking the puppies in the sand school so they could run around :) I was thrown into the deep end and had to give tours to visitors which I actually really enjoyed although it was like the blind leading the blind! bye the time I had done that, had lunch etc it was time to clean all the dogs out again and put them to bed!

It was such a rewarding experience and would reccomend it to anyone!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Im glad you enjoyed your stint there, its very rewarding but hard work. Why dont you find a rescue home nearer then you can go more often.

My daughter has her name down to walk rescue dogs but she is still waiting to be checked, she wants to walk the oldies and uglies that no one else wants to walk.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I just arrived home from many tears- im sure some of you would like to know how I got on :)

well- I had the time of my life! dont get me wrong it was hard work, up and out at 7am and didn't get in till 5pm! I enjoyed every single second of it and will jump at the chance to go back there!
first things first- They are not a registered charity because there is also a boarding kennels on the same property which takes a profit so would make it difficult to become a charity.
Secondly- they defo do not just take the 'fluffy/pretty' dogs!! Okay so I didnt see any staffies, but there were lots and lots of boxers, whippets, terriers etc, even a bull dog x shih tzu which was interesting!

I didnt get to chat with the owners because they were so busy- I really did not expect to see so many visitors! They are very strict with their re homing policy because lots of families come in expecting to get a 8 week old puppy, take it home then leave it at their house all day while their at work. The dogs have had a bad life so they want to make sure the dog will not end up in another rescue!

The place was very tidy and well organised! the only thing I did find was that some of the paid staff were very patronizing towards me and other volunteers :(

I even got to watch the vet perform a couple of operations which was amazing!
My days basically consisted of checking on the dogs and puppies in the morning, cleaning them out which takes ages because as soon as you finish they s**t all over the floor again!! Then I either sat in with a nervous dog which I loved doing or taking the puppies in the sand school so they could run around :) I was thrown into the deep end and had to give tours to visitors which I actually really enjoyed although it was like the blind leading the blind! bye the time I had done that, had lunch etc it was time to clean all the dogs out again and put them to bed!

It was such a rewarding experience and would reccomend it to anyone!

Well done on your day. Sounds like a really busy time for you and its good of you (and for you) to do it.

Anyway re the rehoming policy - I can totally understand where they come from and I think that they need to have a fairly stict regime in vetting out homes. However they do need think somewhat out the box IMO.

No, they certainly don't just rehome the cute fluffy ones - I've seen dogs with one eye, horrible skin, horrific injury and neglect that they've treated and rehomed. I think regardless of their policy they are doing something worth doing.

111ex111

Visit site
Im glad you enjoyed your stint there, its very rewarding but hard work. Why dont you find a rescue home nearer then you can go more often.

My daughter has her name down to walk rescue dogs but she is still waiting to be checked, she wants to walk the oldies and uglies that no one else wants to walk.

Near me you have to be 18 to work in rescues which I dont understand and is a bit silly IMO, Im 17. I walk lots of dogs on a daily basis because my mum has a dog walking business. Although I could walk the dogs at rescues I would rather be more involved and actually be in the rescue like I was in wales :)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Well done OP glad you enjoyed it and as you have probably seen on here you have caused a big debate on MT, your inside side of MT should put to rest some peoples worries about the work they are doing.

111ex111

Visit site
Sylvia and bill, the owners of MT are so dedicated I have never seen anyone like it. They've taken in 20 dogs who could not be re homed and they now live in sylvia and bills house! They are both up at 5:30 in the morning feeding all the dogs and the staff/volunteers dont arrive till 7am. once everyone else has gone home they're still up and about looking after the dogs. I dont know how they do it! amazing people and amazing work, defo going to be back there in the near future!!

Luci07

Visit site
Thank you for the update. your post though does suggest they do differentiate as have very few staffords or staff x's. Most rescues are stuffed with these dogs - just have a look at Battersea.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
Every other rescue is crammed with these dogs. Just seems odd this one is not hence raising it. Rough estimate that Battersea have about 75% staffie or staffie crosses on their books.

No, it is not odd. MT takes a lot of puppy farm dogs and staffies are not high on the farmers' list. Battersea is in south London, so it would be full of staffie types, wouldn't it?

111ex111

Visit site
Every other rescue is crammed with these dogs. Just seems odd this one is not hence raising it. Rough estimate that Battersea have about 75% staffie or staffie crosses on their books.

Many tears is in WALES where 75% of dogs are collies or collie crosses. they also take in many puppy farm dogs including boxers, labs and whippets

so no, it dosent seem odd.

Clodagh

Visit site
Also, if a rescue is crammed with staffies, who are difficult to rehome and therefore block up the kennels, better to get some fluffies out there who stand a chance of moving on to pastures new?
I know people, and it would also apply to me, who would no longer bother going to rescues because they are so full of staffs there is nothing else to look at and a lot of people wouldn't want one.

CAYLA

Visit site
I can see all points to be fair and we take in anything, fluffies, uglies, problems, all breeds, as this is rescue to me!, no matter the breed, however there is no denying fluffies rehome easier and will indeed get donations in faster, just to add whippets, boxers and labs are pretty easy homers too;)I was appauled to hear 2 dogs where split in an earlier reply and the cute one went off to MT and the not so ugly remained in the pound (very wrong) otherwise I dont know enough to comment further. It would not surprise me i alot of cases if the back street breeders also pay towards dog being handed in so it works well both ways (just a thought though) and if there is a vet on site it's not a poor charity and neutering will be minimal cost.
They obs help and save dogs which is great and the point in rescue but obs controversial to some, but some good points on either side.

111ex111

Visit site
I just dont get how there are loads of people on here being negative just because you think they take in pretty dogs. trust me, there were some not so pretty ones there too!! also, what about breed specific rescues, why arnt you being negative about them? imo its the same thing

Squeak

Visit site
I am privileged to be a fosterer for Many Tears, it is an amazing rescue! I am so sad to hear people talking about them negatively, they do so much for so many dogs.

Re the dogs being split up... I don't know the full story on this one but I do know from the dogs I have fostered that they try to keep them together! So I would suggest there is more to this story...

As far as the allegations of only taking dogs that rehome easily, there are a significant number of dogs and puppies that they take on who have significant health problems or are an undesirable breed. Yes they do sometimes have a huge influx of 'fluffies' such as Shih tzu's but that's because yes they are popular so that is what the farmers are breeding. Many of the exbreeders have missing teeth and saggy stomachs etc. that make them less desirable to some people so even the 'fluffies' they take on are not as easily rehomed as may be supposed.

The breeders do not give MT money for taking on these dogs... For all the accusations about MT using it to make money... Go and look for yourself! It is not wealthy! They constantly stretch their funds for dogs and any money they may make is used on an animal, they are the priority!

Glad you had good time OP :D

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have looked on the MT site for many years as about 4 years ago they took in a staffie x ( yes they did take it!) that a friend of mine found near to death on a back road late at night on her way home. It was almost starved to death and looked like a car may have hit it. She contacted RSPCA who REFUSED to even look at it and as she had helped at MT in the past she rang them and they took it and nursed it back to health and rehomed. I know that is just one dog that I know personally but surely that treatment of a dog who definately would have died if they hadn't taken it says something for them. I have seen many uglies as someone put it on their site and also plenty of collies and spaniels all of which are very popular in this area, I live in South West Wales.

Dobiegirl

Visit site

[http://www.happy-landings.org.uk/ This charity manages to do both

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site

[http://www.happy-landings.org.uk/ This charity manages to do both

OP did say difficult not impossible! And tbh lets look at this the other way around... How many charities do you know that are fully registered who use the status as an easy way to get tax reductions etc and don't actually do any charity work?! MT do the oppposite they keep it not as a charity so that they can exacerbate their existing resources for the animals benefit. They admit themselves that there would be advantages to being registered but at the moment for them they do not outweigh the disadvantages.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not sure about it tbh.

easier to rehome dogs= money coming in more frequently but also means lots of dogs rehomed.

harder to rehome dogs (staffy types for example)= money coming in less frequently but possibly fewer dogs rehomed.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
OP did say difficult not impossible! And tbh lets look at this the other way around... How many charities do you know that are fully registered who use the status as an easy way to get tax reductions etc and don't actually do any charity work?! MT do the oppposite they keep it not as a charity so that they can exacerbate their existing resources for the animals benefit. They admit themselves that there would be advantages to being registered but at the moment for them they do not outweigh the disadvantages.

That is double dutch to me, rescues by their very nature rescue which to my mind is charity work, if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick please feel free to correct me.

Maisie2

Visit site
Thank you for your update Hollieeb and again well done you and mum. It was very interesting to have your hands-on experience. A lot of supposition goes on in AAD so it is excellent to have a report from someone who has actually worked there albeit for a short time. There are always different solutions to any problems and as far as I am concerned at least MT are trying to help the dogs to a better life - and I can't see anything wrong with that. I do hope you manage to go back, I assume you didn't weaken and bring home a dog :)

Squeak

Visit site
That is double dutch to me, rescues by their very nature rescue which to my mind is charity work, if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick please feel free to correct me.

Sorry I tend to not put things very clearly : / I meant that I know of a few people who have registered themselves as lets say a dog charity because it means that they can reap the benefits of being a charity and yet they dont actually rescue dogs or do anything yet they are able to live a very comfortable lifestyle because of it. So I was just trying to point out that charity status is no safeguard to people making a profit from an organisation... Hope I put it a bit better this time :)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Yep that makes perfect sense to me:) You could well be right, I do know about other charities(not animal ones) that have been busted because they were scamming.

Happy Landings which I gave the link are a genuine charity, Ive been there, they do do a lot of good work as well as rescue.

111ex111

Visit site
you are all making out that MT is in it for the money and do whats best for their income.
The boarding kennels supplies their income- to pay for their food and house. everything else goes into the rescue center. The owners do everything for the dogs. They care so much you cant even put it into words- best way to describe it is that they have 20 massive dogs in their own home, ones that couldnt be rehomed! one of them was a st. Bernard x poodle and was beautiful! they work from 6am till 6pm every day. I just cant describe to you how much these people do, I would never be able to do it! everyone who is saying negative things about many tears or any other rescue center- I dare you to go there for 3 days just like I did and you will come out with a completely different view

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't know if you meant me OP but to me income is going to be directly proportional to being able to rescue more dogs and so from that point of view it is important to have a decent one!

111ex111

Visit site
another example that they dont just take 'fluffies'

there were 2 German Shepherds there who had been there for a very long time. They got rehomed- one week later was brought back to MT. Many tears took them back in, everytime you walk past their kennel they look horrible- jumping and barking, teeth showing and everything. the second you walk in their kennel they turn into the most lovely dogs!

point that im trying to make is that these 2 GSD's are taking up money, food, blankets and a kennel, where as if many tears was what you are trying to make out, they would quickly fill the space with a fluffie.

111ex111

Visit site
also ever thought, many tears focuses on rescuing ex breeding and puppy farm dogs. puppy farmers are obviously going to breed fluffies as thats how they get their money- breeding the most popular/easily homed dogs!
You dont see puppy farmers breeding staffies do you, because people dont want them!