Mare Left Out on Her Own This Evening! Should I Rant?

Coblover63

Visit site
I'm on a big yard and all horses have to go into infection-prevention isolation for a fortnight when they first arrive, so a lot of single horses have to get used to being on their own from the get-go.

neddynesbitt

Visit site
I'm shocked at the reaction to the OP and totally understand what she's saying. I too have a mare who gets stressed and gallops if left alone and yes its totally my responsibility but aside from feeling sick with worry about possibility of injury and knowing she ideally has to get used to it there is also the problem of the field becoming churned up. Our yard owner has a rule that no horse is to be left out alone so her paddocks do not get churned up and damaged and for the welfare of the horses. We all work together on this to keep all the horses happy. We only have one other mare and if her owner wishes to ride then mine comes in too as happy in her stable. I have to manage this and am totally on the timetable of the other owner. Its not her problem but mine however.; sometimes I'm working and its a nightmare but she will fetch her in for me and no she doesnt charge me but I will help her out in return. Being in the same position as the OP I have total sympathy, blooming horses eh.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
FWIW, I'm on a large DIY yard. One of our yard rules is to never leave a horse out on it's own

I've also been on yards with that rule.

One of mine would just jump the fence if she was left out alone (or go through it), so it does amaze me how many people think that the horse should just be left 'to get over it'. That approach just doesn't work with fence jumpers. When it comes down to it, I would feel terribly guilty if I caused someone else's horse to get injured, so unless I was specifically told that the horse was fine to leave out alone (and I would check this in advance), I would bring the last horse in (again this would be run by the owners in advance). Also, how badly behaved are some of these horses out there, that it would be dangerous to lead them from the field to their stable? If they are that badly trained, it should be worked on and sorted.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
An hour is long enough for a horse to do itself plenty of damage getting wound up though.

There are 7 liveries on my yard and 3 owners horses, none are left out alone unless specifically turned out like that by owner, and unless anyone had specifically told me there horse was fine alone it would be brought in.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Some inconsiderate folk out there.Its all me me me.Why should I.Thats its with yards some people are lovely and do the sensible kind thing and some are beyond wanting to even look at.

Stormynight

Visit site
One of mine would just jump the fence if she was left out alone (or go through it), so it does amaze me how many people think that the horse should just be left 'to get over it'. That approach just doesn't work with fence jumpers.

We have a cob in our field who doesn't jump, but will take the fencing or gates out if left alone. Even if there are horses over the fence, as far as he's concerned they don't count unless they're in his field. One glorious day last year he'd been left briefly, as a new livery hadn't realised - he mowed through our post & rail / electric fencing, took himself into the sheep fields next door in a blind bolt, took out all their fencing on the way through and eventually tailed back down to our stable yard, taking a last lot of fencing for good measure. That field was nearly a mile away from the stable blocks.... he's been known to barge down 5 bar gates before now, too.

He's another that isn't capable of "getting over it".

Stormynight

Visit site
He was... built like a brick outhouse and luckily came out of it unscathed. It did make everybody think twice, mind - and YO wasn't too happy!

Casey76

Visit site
I hope his owner worked on his serious separation anxiety. It is a training issue as well as a personality thing. Horses who have no respect for boundaries are a menace and a danger.

frostyfingers

Visit site
I had my horses on livery a while ago and had a nightmare of an experience with someone who clearly didn't know enough/couldn't be bothered to deal with her horse. The other livery had 1 horse, I had 2 and we had worked out a rough timetable and left out morning feeds so that whoever was up first fed so that no horse had to stand unfed (there were only ever 4 horses). Hers was happy alone and mine went out together and it all worked fine. The new horse (4yo cob who'd never been taught manners) couldn't be left alone in the field - on the first occasion when it was left (having been told it was fine) it went through 2 sets of high electric fence, jumped over the haha on to the livery owners lawn and careered around the farmyard and headed down the drive to the main road. I slung my two in their stables and managed to turn the horse back but couldn't catch it, luckily a farm worker managed to help me herd it into the stable where it promptly squashed me against the door on my way out. It was a nightmare of an animal - not its fault - she left it unfed in the morning and refused to allow us to give it breakfast, so we threw some hay over, the longest it was left in the stable was from 4pm one evening, until 1pm the following day, if we hadn't provided hay and water it would have gone without, she'd actually asked us not to interfere and feed him. Whenever we offered help it was ignored and eventually she was asked to leave - the huge sigh of relief could probably have been heard across the county, but I felt so sorry for the horse, god knows where he is now.

All of which has nothing to do with the OP but being on livery does entail give and take, the key I think is communication!

ihatework

Visit site
I wouldn't stand by and watch a horse galloping around on its own getting stressed - so in that case I would get it in.

I would however not be doing that routinely and would be having words with the owner if it was anything more than a one off.

I also don't agree with DIY rules that no horse is to be left out alone. Horses need to learn to stay in the paddock by themselves if needed. All mine do and it makes life much easier.

I accept there will always be a neurotic problem one for which extra consideration is needed, but in those circumstances it is up to the owner to have them managed suitably, it is not up to others on a DIY to run around after someone else's horse.

Arizahn

Visit site
The OP has been there for only six months, but mentions that the other liveries have already helped out with holiday cover several times. Really? Several times in only six months? Did I misread that? Sorry, that just seems like a lot of favours (and holidays!) already to me, but I don't have holidays. I shall presume that I misread. No one with a horse can afford a holiday, after all...:p

Taken from another point of view, perhaps the other liveries have past experience of being "gradually left" to take care of someone else's horse. This happened to me once and it was like that saying about boiling a frog. Little things at first; chuck in an armful of hay when you're feeding your horse (fine), which then built up to me doing bladdy flipping everything (not fine). I'm on a different yard now, and I still refuse to help out with other horses except in a genuine emergency. It just isn't something that I want to risk happening to me again.

So I wouldn't catch in for you either OP, and I would flatly refuse payment to do so if offered. Nor would I pick up a dog in the street - that is what dog wardens are for! Do what I did - get a companion who is fine to be left alone, problem solved :)

wkiwi

Visit site
I think you are right in that it is good she is getting braver. Without going into livery yards/ethics/ rights and wrongs etc., I often had either one horse grazing with someone else's, or two horses of my own grazing together (out 24/7). So, if i hacked out one horse the other had to get used to being on its own. The key here was whether they were in eustress or distress.
--eustress is where they get upset but gradually adapt; this is regarded as 'good stress' as it teaches the horse to cope with different challenges and they adapt better to other changes in their lives.
-- distress is the bit where they get so upset that they will injure themselves/someone else etc. /or not adapt at all but become withdrawn, overstressed, have health problems etc.
note that how the horse 'looks' may not relate to how stressed it really is and there is no exact way to measure when an individual horse shifts from eustress to distress (except for the more extreme signs of course).
So, regardless of what has happened and will happen at your yard, it seems that your horse is in the stage of eustress, where she is learning to cope (it doesn't mean they won't run around and get sweaty etc., particularly to start with) and so this will be beneficial in the future as one can never guarantee that a horse will never be left alone at some point in its life.
Note that eustress has also been shown to improve the health of animals (and humans), and it also aids learning!

whizzer

Visit site
Theres a few at our yard that get stressed if left alone & they're owners have requested that they're brought in if it's likely to happen. Doesn't happen often but I'm happy to do it if situation arises. Quite hacked off at the moment as one of the people who we have to do this for couldn't even be bothered to give my youngster who's on box rest his morning feed, she's usually at yard 1st & the feed is ready made & outside stable door! Apparently rearing in the stable wasn't 'kicking off' enough for her to feed him!!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I completely agree that separation anxiety can be worked on and with gradual acclimatization, I have in the past trained horses to get used to the idea of being alone while their companion goes for a hack. However in my grey's case, she doesn't get upset or distressed in any way, she just hops (or scrambles, depending on the barrier) over the fence or stable door if there is no grill. Once she got over two fences with a ditch between them. She's not stupid, if she doesn't like something, she does something about it. When she was a yearling, she had a big horse v fence accident, so I am surprised that she isn't more cautious with fences.

I am so relieved that I'm not on a livery yard as her quirks don't cause me any issues.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I wouldn't stand by and watch a horse galloping around on its own getting stressed - so in that case I would get it in.

I would however not be doing that routinely and would be having words with the owner if it was anything more than a one off.

I also don't agree with DIY rules that no horse is to be left out alone. Horses need to learn to stay in the paddock by themselves if needed. All mine do and it makes life much easier.

I accept there will always be a neurotic problem one for which extra consideration is needed, but in those circumstances it is up to the owner to have them managed suitably, it is not up to others on a DIY to run around after someone else's horse.

^^^^ This exactly. I have been on both sides of the equation. For my stressy mare I made arrangements either paid or payment in kind where both parties were happy.

I have been on yards where the same person day in, day out was late and expected horse to be in.

I will not be made responsible day in, day out for owners that think others should bring their horse in. I would not accept or be on a DIY yard with a catch last horse rule. I have limited time and that is for MY horses.

IMHO if you cannot make arrangements, you should be on a yard which offers a more suitable set up.

However having said all that I would not leave a distressed horse galloping, but would make sure the owner knew it was unacceptable on a regular basis.

indie1282

Visit site
I can see what your all saying but it was a one off as they brought in very early and I didn't know she had been left out on her own.

Well we're on a training regime now and if I'm honest, We have been for a while. She'll go out on her own without a problem, whereas before she wouldn't. This morning she was on her own as the others had gone really early which again is unusual and I kept her in with me while I mucked out, she objected to but then settled down.
I've always been the one that's put on and I thought a tiny yard close to home would stop all that. I've always been the one putting out 3 to have my 1 brought in etc and it's been so nice not to have to deal with other horses but spend to all my time on my own horse instead, I've been far to convenient and soft in the past as I work evening so I'm around during the day if anyone asks me, and me, I never say no.
I'm sure I can toughen up and so can my girl. Of course this means I won't be available for anyone else from now on.

Maybe she wasn't stressed while they were still there? Or they didn't think she was too bad to have to bring in. Maybe say to them when you see them next something like " gosh ( mares name) got herself in a right state last night - what was she like when you left? " If they said they thought she was ok just say " ok . Do you think if your bringing in early and I'm not here would you mind texting me and ill pop down and bring her in?"

Tnavas

Visit site
My mare was left out tonight on her own for at least an hour, she was stressed and so pleased to see me and I had to wash her off as shed got herself, not in a huge state but let's say uncomfortable.
I'm on a small yard and the other stables are taken by a family that don't work and so come and go at all times, I on the other hand work in the evenings and I try to get to the yard which is thankfully just a few yards from work, before they do.
However tonight I get there to find she's been left out....alone!
I have asked that they don't do this and she's easy to catch, her stable is ready and only a few steps from the field so I'm surprised and a little upset as these are people who believe they are animal lovers?
How could they do this as I know I couldn't and why? I do think they want me to pay them to bring her in and I'm not about to. She's a lovely girl whose worked and ridden, theirs are not.
Should I be annoyed, say something, or just ignore them?
If the shoe had been on the other foot I know for a fact they would of been screaming and phoning a vet!!

Why should they bring YOUR horse in for recompensation?

If you want a livery type service then expect to pay for it!

Elsbells

Visit site
Thankyou all the input, as its been useful and has given me a lot to think about.
I've been on holiday once which was prev booked and I paid £10 a day. I could of offered this contract out but I asked the girls if they would like it first out of convenience and curticy which they happily accepted.

I won't enter into a petty squabble re "horse management" as I know I'm an excellent owner and I don't need to be told what is best for my horse. All I asked is should I rant? Not that I have had a rant, so I don't understand where all these angry comments are coming from or why they are directed at me?
As it is I shall repeat. My mare us learning to be on her own, she will go out all day and will stay in all day on her own no problem, she just becomes anxious when all the others clear off in without her which I think us understandable. Even so, she is learning.
She was once a jumping machine who never had turnout whatsoever, so the mere fact she's come so far after a pretty horrendous start is nothing short of a miracle IMO, she makes me so proud of just how far we have come.
So please forgive me if I seem a little protective of my horse that I've owned for 6 steep learning curve years, but she's my world and I make no appologies for that.

cally23

Visit site
Elsbelles, you sound fab! I am on a yard that has a great ethic of working as a team, we text each other and ask if your horse is needed in or if it is the only one left out in the field we will text, will we bring it in? We check ALL the horses(10) every time one of us is at the yard. We cover holidays for each other and share problems and tips. Some new people have not lasted long as selfishness or unmannered unschooled horses do not work here. It is a little bit of paradise and I thank God I am here with a happy(bit fat) horse and a happy(bit fat) owner....that is another thread lol!

Elsbells

Visit site
Elsbelles, you sound fab! I am on a yard that has a great ethic of working as a team, we text each other and ask if your horse is needed in or if it is the only one left out in the field we will text, will we bring it in? We check ALL the horses(10) every time one of us is at the yard. We cover holidays for each other and share problems and tips. Some new people have not lasted long as selfishness or unmannered unschooled horses do not work here. It is a little bit of paradise and I thank God I am here with a happy(bit fat) horse and a happy(bit fat) owner....that is another thread lol!

Oh thankyou! Apart from a few on here who have been "understanding" the others were doing a fine job of making me feel like a useless owner and......selfish!!

indie1282

Visit site
Oh thankyou! Apart from a few on here who have been "understanding" the others were doing a fine job of making me feel like a useless owner and......selfish!!

Dont feel useless or selfish OP - I imagine you was just upset about your mare. I've been up to bring my horses in before to be informed by at least 3 liveries before I'd hardly walked to my stables that one of my horses had his rug pulled up and hanging over his front ( its p*****g down with rain ) But even though they had all walked right past him to get theirs in, not one had bothered to straighten it up for the poor ******! And before anyone else says" it's not other liveries jobs to sort your horse out ect...) it IS common sense to not let a horse potentially injure itself if you can prevent it.

Moomin1

Visit site
My mare was left out tonight on her own for at least an hour, she was stressed and so pleased to see me and I had to wash her off as shed got herself, not in a huge state but let's say uncomfortable.
I'm on a small yard and the other stables are taken by a family that don't work and so come and go at all times, I on the other hand work in the evenings and I try to get to the yard which is thankfully just a few yards from work, before they do.
However tonight I get there to find she's been left out....alone!
I have asked that they don't do this and she's easy to catch, her stable is ready and only a few steps from the field so I'm surprised and a little upset as these are people who believe they are animal lovers?
How could they do this as I know I couldn't and why? I do think they want me to pay them to bring her in and I'm not about to. She's a lovely girl whose worked and ridden, theirs are not.
Should I be annoyed, say something, or just ignore them?
If the shoe had been on the other foot I know for a fact they would of been screaming and phoning a vet!!

I'm sorry but I do think that if you want your horse brought in, and they will only do it if they are paid, then it is your responsibility to pay up for that service.

Tnavas

Visit site
OK I will rewrite my response.

Should you have a rant at these people - NO.

Your horse is NOT their responsibility!

Your comment about not being prepared to pay them for bringing in your horse is miserly.

If you want a livery type job done then you need to accept that you pay for it.

NOW WHAT YOU DO NEXT is to have a chat with them and come to an arrangement. They text you if they plan to be at the yard early and that then gives you time to either go up in your lunch break and bring her in, or for you to ask if they would mind bringing her in for you.
They may oblige or may not. If they can't bring her in maybe they could put some hay or a feed out when they collect their last horse.
Understandably you are upset that your horse was stressed, but she's not their responsibility. Sometimes our horses just have to wear their brave pants and deal with being alone.

Last edited:

Stormynight

Visit site
I hope his owner worked on his serious separation anxiety. It is a training issue as well as a personality thing. Horses who have no respect for boundaries are a menace and a danger.

No, they haven't. Horse in question is nearing 20 years old, has been on that yard for a number of years and is owned by a novice. When everybody sticks to yard rules (which are in place to prevent damages, including churned ground), there isn't an issue. It's rare any such occurrence arises.

I understand the argument - my horse will tolerate staying out alone after a little work with him, because I agree it's an important thing for him to be able to do. Separation anxiety drives me up the wall. However, I do think it's irresponsible for people to assume a horse is okay alone, and to leave it stressing when it's stable is only a few feet away. If said horse goes through / over a fence and has a leg hanging off, is it the owner's fault for not desensitising them, or the other liveries' fault for choosing to ignore a horse who is stressed enough to injure itself? Grey area, but food for thought.

Becca_N

New User
Visit site
I feel for you. I have had similar issues at yards when other liveries have said that we will put are horses out together to keep each other company only to find that they have brought there's in without telling me and left my mare who like yours stresses when left totally alone. I got there in dead of winter to find her sweating buckets in her heavy weight rug. I ended up moving to a hard with more people and have never looked back. Was the best thing for both me and my horse. The lady has since also moved yards...... 4 times in the last year. Sometimes these people suit being on their own!!

SO1

Visit site
I think it sounds like there is a bit of history here, has this happened before and instead of leaving your horse out they have bought your horse in and then asked to paid and you said no?

Whilst I agree that most people would not leave a horse out on its own if it is distressed or would at least contact owner to ask what they wanted them to do {some people don't like other people handing their horses unless requested or previously agreed} if you don't want your horse to be left on its own, and they don't want to bring her in for you unless they are paid {maybe they think it will become a regular occurrence and don't want to be taken advantage of}, then you have a difficult situation.

You probably do need to have a chat with them about what you want them to do if this happens again, if they are not working and need the money then they may well insist on being paid for bringing the horse in. I don't think you can expect them to bring your horse in for free if they do not want to.

I think if you know your horse is not happy out on it own, and you are at a yard with no services, then before you even consider moving on to the yard you may need to have a conversation with those you are sharing the field with regarding what to do if your horse is the last one in the field, don't presume someone will be willing to bring your horse in for free or that there is a yard rule to bring the last one in.