Mattingley, after a week of acrobatics...

jules89

Visit site
Ok so had a disasterous week back and going back to having 0 confidence after flying through the air 3 times and falling on my bottom twice...
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Went to Mattingley with an actually rather good frame of mind, as a good friend told me "bad practice means a good competition"...and she was right.

Under trainer's orders I warmed up for dr longer than I normally do - usual is about 20 mins, quick stretch, few transitions and in. Today I did 20 mins stretch, 5 mins breather, canter/trot legyield/halfpass on a circle and then in !

He did, by far, the best test I have ridden him in. He was uphill, obedient, flashy, and rideable. He really seemed to show off and enjoy himself. I came out smiling and to be honest, it felt like a sub 30 test by far. In the end, it was a 30 but still well placed after this phase and I can't really sniff at that, the mediums were apparantly "modest" but in all honesty, the canter ones could have earned a 7 and not a 6...
wink.gif
ho hum, still very very pleased
grin.gif

101_1396.jpg

101_1398.jpg

101_1400.jpg

101_1401.jpg

101_1403.jpg

101_1404.jpg

Onto SJ...

As we all know, I am suffering a lot from SJ nerves, I feel physically sick, panic, hook, and screw up my lovely pone. Today was, however slightly different. I was confident, (!!!!) and the course was lovely, not trappy at all and had a nice treble at the end that I tried to think was just a grid and not a treble..!

Luckily I managed to walk it just before I went in. I surprisingly only did about 3 warm up fences, not even going over a vertical, as I just wanted to jump out of a rhythm and not screw up, or push it
wink.gif

Ended up with a lovely clear, but my goodness do I have a brilliant pone...! Coming up to the treble it all went a bit Terry Wogan coming in, he jumped very big and I knew he wasn't going to make the distance so sat behind him (ready for a stop) and let him shuffle in two strides over the last two elements. I didn't care as we were clear, safe, and even though I nearly did throw up, alive!

101_1505.jpg

101_1510.jpg

Muchos improvement bar the last? Slight voal encouragement over the 4th
wink.gif

So going onto XC (which was a very very very technical and big course, more like a small int) I was probably in a good position.

He fired out of the start box, jumped one fine, and then coming up to two, he took his eye off the ball, looked at people scuttling out of the way of the fence (there were LOADS, no joke
mad.gif
) and ran straight past it...he simply just careered on past it, I couldn't hold him! Anyway this is totally out of character, it was a simple brush! So pulled round, jumped it, and then had to literally anchor him into 3...

Yes I was going fast, but he could have taken off?

oh and spot the fitty lol

101_1509.jpg

Coming up to 4, a simple chair, he decided to put his dressage toes on and half pass spook at a bog standard water trough
mad.gif
and then balloon the jump! Gave him a sharp kick and the next fence was 2 houses on an angled line of 2 strides, simple enough. Saw a good shot into it, positive active canter, and he shuffled in a totally unnecessary third stride...
crazy.gif
probably my fault from earlier SJing.

Anyway as the course was big, and he just wasn't on the ball and I have had a recent confidence knock, I decided to call it a day. Call me mad but I wasn't going to place, I wasn't going to sniff a point, the ground was hard, and it just wasn't meant to be.

Im not upset, as he was mega, but the last thing I want to do is shuffle into a fence, smack it, and rotate
crazy.gif
it just doesn't bear thinking about. He is an awesome horse, and we got 2 out of 3 right today, can't have it all
wink.gif

Anyway, I will stop rambling
smile.gif

Lovely to meet Saf and co, and to have generally a lovely day out
smile.gif

101_1459.jpg

i love my pone
smile.gif
Any bitting ideas?

Super_starz

Visit site
Lovely photos and how neat are your plats!!
tongue.gif
Shame about the XC, i am sure you did the right thing.
How funny is that sign??
wink.gif
laugh.gif

jules89

Visit site
tehe I loved the sign!

Am so pleased I can finally plait all of his mane again, it's only just growing back! Would you ever guess that the bottom two actually aren't plaits
wink.gif

AandK

Visit site
*waves* i was the dressage steward for your section, what a super gorgeous pone you have!!
smile.gif

well done for the first 2, esp the SJ. shame about the XC but sounds like you made a good decision!

jules89

Visit site
oh were u?! sorry I was chatting for ages
blush.gif
he was for once a good pone so you must be good luck
wink.gif

And thanks K

eventingdiva

Visit site
Lovely pics
smile.gif
and well done for dr and sj, i'm sure you made the right decision about xc. I think i saw you heading to the dressage in the lorry park, but was scared to say hello! I was walking off a big grey horse, think it was you!!
grin.gif

teapot

Visit site
Big well done for dressage & sj
grin.gif
He's looking fantastic, shame about the xc but there's always next time!

Love the sign
wink.gif

dixie

Visit site
Big well done for conquering your sj fears, a good achievement after the week you've had
smile.gif
. Sounds like he is getting above himself at the moment as he was running out from that fence miles away - perhaps he/you were looking at the hunky guy walking by !!

jules89

Visit site
wink.gif
maybe I was Dixie
wink.gif

he did feel like he just ran past it
blush.gif
shame I was jumping the fence! lol!

Sal86 you should have said hi!
smile.gif

thanks Teapot, won't tell him how sexy he's looking as he's feeling rather cocky atm!

only_me

Visit site
excellent dressage and showjumping!
grin.gif

good decision re.xc - if its not your day then its not your day. hard decision to make imo!

laugh.gif
looking fab in the pics and LOL at the sign!

jules89

Visit site
blush.gif
thanks guys, I really do feel as though it just wasn't happening for us on the XC and I am glad you guys agree with me
blush.gif

thanks for the plaits comment Rara, am always secretly pleased with my plaits, am a bit OCD about them, the top one by his ears is still annoying me though!

thakns only_me
smile.gif
your SJ is rubbing off on me
wink.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Well done dressage and SJ (even if the treble was unorthodox - at least he tried, and kept it up).

Can't believe your ground it hard - everything is cancelled over here because we have had so much rain.

Fiona

jules89

Visit site
Sadly they aerovated (from what I can tell and speaking to other riders) after the rain, which didn't really help
wink.gif

shame as the course was beautiful

langside

Visit site
What a fab Dressage ad SJ and your pone looks very handsome
laugh.gif

Def think something wasnt quite right with him though he normally eats up those xc fences right decision to pull up and fight another day

Saf

community.webshots.com
Well done Jules what a fab dressage and laid those ghosts to rest in the SJ, never mind the shuffled in strides, Saf did that last week at Aston and you saw how big she is
ooo.gif
You were clear so take away the positives. As for the Xc you did the right thing.

Great to meet you at last and thanks for the help with the boots
grin.gif

Fab photos
grin.gif

jules89

Visit site
No prob, should have taken u up on the wine!
wink.gif

Thought you had a problem at the coffin (my ears must be going mad) so was relieved to see results, well done!
laugh.gif

_April_

Visit site
He looks absolutely fabulous in the DR Jules.

Those plaits!!!!!!!!
grin.gif

Well done for SJing and always a good idea to stop XC if it doesn't feel right - almost braver and a harder decision than continuing sometimes I think xx

jumptoit

Visit site
Glad to hear you and Zeb were back on form after this last week. He is looking fab and so are his plaits!!!

Huge well done for Dr and SJ!
laugh.gif

Shame about the XC but you made the right decision, there will always be another day.

Lol at the sign!
grin.gif

Saf

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
No prob, should have taken u up on the wine!
wink.gif

Thought you had a problem at the coffin (my ears must be going mad) so was relieved to see results, well done!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was close at the coffin
wink.gif
and next time don't be shy we always have wine
wink.gif

Nats_uk

Visit site
Well done - sounds like you did really well in the dressage and SJ
grin.gif

I think you made the right decision XC - why ruin all the good work you have done

archoak

Visit site
I saw you as you were waking back from xc - I was in front of you with 2 border terrielrs and you said 'excuse me' - I recognised your boots
grin.gif
Tried to catch up and say hello but had my mum with me so couldn't walk fast! Well done on your dressage and sjing - the last part of the treble caught lots out
blush.gif

jules89

Visit site
ooops sorry applechaff!
blush.gif
I liked your doggies though, but what happens if, when on that lead, they both go opposite directions!?
wink.gif

Blimey Saf you're even more of a party animal than me!

blush.gif
thanks about the plaits, as I said above, am really OCD about them
blush.gif

Looking at results, had we gone clear under time XC (which I was aiming to do) we would have won ! lol oh well!

kerilli

Visit site
2 out of 3 is great, you'll get it all together one day, that's the charm (!?) of eventing.
xc he looked surprised tbh, as if he thought he'd just run out at the small palisade he'd just galloped past, and just didn't clock that he was actually going to be asked to jump the brush. i'd take him slower for a bit until he's more obedient, if he was mine, add the speed again when the controls are definitely in place!

jules89

Visit site
yeah think you're right K, have emailed Borde Hill to see if I can possily have an OPN/PNP run as don't now fancy the IN
wink.gif

Any ideas on bitting? He is in a waterford atm but he's running through that a little bit, and he was chomping on it before I even started

ColouredFan

Visit site
Well done Jules!!!! A Clear SJ round is so good!!!! the confidence boost you needed, FAB dressgae score too, shame about the XC but you know he is capable.

Frankie goes well in a Pelham for jumping, might be worth a try? the straight hard rubber version.

jules89

Visit site
I only have a metal one but may well give that a go, it was on my trying list before I decided on the waterford

hmmm