May bank holiday weekend plans

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No weekend plans thread yet?

I'm doing a couple of dressage tests on Sunday in yet another attempt at conquering my dressage test issues. So I'm not really that bothered about the result - main aim of the day will be to not have an anxiety attack. Saturday will be a non-horse related running around day (possibly including new riding hat shopping to make me feel better ?), and other than that am just hacking.

Theme for this week is it's a hard life being a small dog:

IMG-20210426-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210426-WA0001.jpg

What's everyone else up to?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Exploring new hacking route on Sunday and fence judging Monday which will be a very long day as the last riders aren’t away until gone 6pm. Riding past the XC course yesterday the bowsers were out watering the course in an attempt to soften the ground.

DabDab that’s a very relaxed small dog.
Fern good luck with stressless on Sunday.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
On Wednesday, Maddie and I went to an in-hand clinic with Diane Thurman-Baker. Cassie and I had a few sessions with Diane, and I have been trying to transfer that knowledge into my in-hand work with Maddie, but it was definitely time for some expert eyes on us. We started with a gentle lunge just to get her warmed up, and for Diane to see her paces. Then we moved onto some shoulder-in/leg yield work. We started on a circle on the left rein, but Maddie throws her weight out through her right shoulder and collapses on the left, so we changed to more of a square shape with corners which slowed the movement and gave her time to become more balanced. The other rein was a bit easier for this exercise. Then we moved onto a sort of figure of eight, with her going round me in shoulder-in on one circle, then me going round her (reverse shoulder-in) on the other - I am not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it will help me to remember it! After that we moved onto some travers, and the start of half pass and walk piris. Diane then introduced Maddie to the idea of Spanish walk, which will really help release her shoulders - she picked it up quite quickly, so my homework is to start incorporating it into the walk, rather than just at halt. Maddie finished off with a nice stretch on the lunge before loading up and heading home. I am always interested in the biomechanics side of things, for both horse and rider, so Wednesday's clinic along with our Andy Thomas one from last week, has given me a much better idea of our asymmetries, and how we can work to improve them, resulting in a better performance from us both.

179709933_2000836513388699_7017257481139340293_n.jpg

179423179_2000836523388698_3475604637947959560_n.jpg

Yesterday, we had a lesson with our regular trainer. We worked on keeping Maddie forwards into the contact, remembering to ride the outside of her, especially on the right rein. We worked on the inside track and with my resistance band round my wrists for a while to help with this. It always feels very alien at the time, but results in better stuff afterwards, so it must be working!!

180095453_2001636396642044_5228536285856278808_n.jpg

We have a fairly quiet weekend ahead, but a little road trip planned for next week with another HHOer. xx

Last edited:

J_sarahd

Visit site
We are off for our first show jumping competition since October. I felt very confident when entering and entered the 70 & 80cm. He’s more than capable of higher than that, and I need to let go of my 60/65cm comfort blanket! Jumped him last night and it was a disaster. He was very spicy and strong - hoping that’s just cause he was with his best friend. We will see what Sunday brings - really don’t want to embarrass myself!

TheMule

Visit site
On Wednesday, Maddie and I went to an in-hand clinic with Diane Thurman-Baker. Cassie and I had a few sessions with Diane, and I have been trying to transfer that knowledge into my in-hand work with Maddie, but it was definitely time for some expert eyes on us. We started with a gentle lunge just to get her warmed up, and for Diane to see her paces. Then we moved onto some shoulder-in/leg yield work. We started on a circle on the left rein, but Maddie throws her weight out through her right shoulder and collapses on the left, so we changed to more of a square shape with corners which slowed the movement and gave her time to become more balanced. The other rein was a bit easier for this exercise. Then we moved onto a sort of figure of eight, with her going round me in shoulder-in on one circle, then me going round her (reverse shoulder-in) on the other - I am not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it will help me to remember it! After that we moved onto some travers, and the start of half pass and walk piris. Diane then introduced Maddie to the idea of Spanish walk, which will really help release her shoulders - she picked it up quite quickly, so my homework is to start incorporating it into the walk, rather than just at halt. Maddie finished off with a nice stretch on the lunge before loading up and heading home. I am always interested in the biomechanics side of things, for both horse and rider, so today's clinic along with our Andy Thomas one from last week, has given me a much better idea of our asymmetries, and how we can work to improve them, resulting in a better performance from us both.

Yesterday, we had a lesson with our regular trainer. We worked on keeping Maddie forwards into the contact, remembering to ride the outside of her, especially on the right rein. We worked on the inside track and with my resistance band round my wrists for a while to help with this. It always feels very alien at the time, but results in better stuff afterwards, so it must be working!!

We have a fairly quiet weekend ahead, but a little road trip planned for next week with another HHOer. xx

That looks like a really interesting and useful session. I'm trying to upskill my in-hand work as I think it's so beneficial. I will look her up.

TheMule

Visit site
Elana had a couple of weeks off as she was lame but it seems to have resolved itself so she's hacking this weekend and I'm trying not to fall off her dramatics- she's very spooky when not in enough work!

The 4yr olds are learning really quickly in the arena so they will both do a couple of quiet sessions- mostly in walk just learning to move the body a bit sideways and shifting the balance back a little as they learn to carry me. They're both quite small so I need to be really careful not to tip my weight forward and push them more onto the forehand.

j1ffy

Visit site
Nikicb - that sounds like a great session!
TheMule - I had a lesson with Diane T-B at a camp last year (Nikicb was also there) and it was excellent. She has a lovely teaching style and made me feel very at ease (I was more worried about falling over in that session than anything in the ridden lessons!) and gave me some very useful tools.

I've had a bit of a week with work and a health niggle so I'm very glad it's Friday...even better I have next week off! I've managed two short schooling sessions this week and Danny is feeling good - the spring grass is giving him some extra bounce. We'll do some hacking and maybe another short school this weekend, then we're off to AMD on Monday for a night (sorry MP - more visitors!!) ?

One real downer is that Prestige (the venue formerly known as Summerhouse) have had to shift around classes for the Area Festival in two weeks due to the ridiculous indoor arena rules. Our Novice Silver class has moved from Saturday to Friday, and unless I can go very late in the day I won't be able to make it. I'm very annoyed at the ridiculous rules and also the late notice - if they'd made the decision two weeks ago I would have shifted my leave around. Even more annoyed as a friend was telling me that she was at West Wilts for a showing show last week, and they were indoors with three judges and helpers / riders spectating! I don't understand the inconsistency between disciplines.

Rant over...

I'll also do some work with Chilli this week and aim to get him into more regular work. I'm hoping I can move him to a field closer to the main stable yard soon as he's currently out on a 20 acre field which will soon have a lot of grass, plus it's a 20 minute walk to get him in if he's at the far end which makes evening riding in addition to Danny a bit difficult.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My weekend plans peaked yesterday again :p good lesson with Kira, just nudging the advanced stuff back in to her work. I'd sort of lost the left half pass and was blaming myself for probably blocking it or something, as that's usually the problem... but turns out she was just in need of a refresher about what the right leg is asking ;)

We're drifting a bit, with no competition plans, so we have fixed a diary date of 30th June to be able to ride the Inter 1 test without errors, doesn't matter if we just do it at home as it will just give me something to focus on for the next 2 months and some structure to the weeks. It's all in there, I've ridden some big piris and tempis so this is a great way to drag it all back up to the standard :)

Otherwise, pottering. Hera has started learning about being tied up so will do some more of that (my benefit more than hers, she's sussed it!), there is hope that the lorry will be sorted soon so the tiddlers will then be moving - i haven't figured out how to organise the box yet so if she understands being tied that will be a weight off my mind just in case (also be tricky to practice that over the summer without a stable so a good milestone to pass now).

Post-lesson sugarlump please :p

179843564_4280470025297808_3421429809396988200_n.jpg

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Nikicb- Maddie is absolutely gorgeous, what a beautiful face!

Thank you! I was so incredibly lucky that her advert popped up on my trainer's FB newsfeed literally the day after losing Cassie, and she was only 15 miles up the road. She's the sweetest mare. :)

That looks like a really interesting and useful session. I'm trying to upskill my in-hand work as I think it's so beneficial. I will look her up.

As j1ffy says, Diane is really lovely, and has such a sharp eye - the smallest adjustment can make all the difference in getting the horse to work properly. If you are on FB there is a group which posts about clinics with her. She travels all over, so there is bound to be one near you at some point.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/875695923002235

Nikicb - that sounds like a great session!
TheMule - I had a lesson with Diane T-B at a camp last year (Nikicb was also there) and it was excellent. She has a lovely teaching style and made me feel very at ease (I was more worried about falling over in that session than anything in the ridden lessons!) and gave me some very useful tools.

I've had a bit of a week with work and a health niggle so I'm very glad it's Friday...even better I have next week off! I've managed two short schooling sessions this week and Danny is feeling good - the spring grass is giving him some extra bounce. We'll do some hacking and maybe another short school this weekend, then we're off to AMD on Monday for a night (sorry MP - more visitors!!) ?

One real downer is that Prestige (the venue formerly known as Summerhouse) have had to shift around classes for the Area Festival in two weeks due to the ridiculous indoor arena rules. Our Novice Silver class has moved from Saturday to Friday, and unless I can go very late in the day I won't be able to make it. I'm very annoyed at the ridiculous rules and also the late notice - if they'd made the decision two weeks ago I would have shifted my leave around. Even more annoyed as a friend was telling me that she was at West Wilts for a showing show last week, and they were indoors with three judges and helpers / riders spectating! I don't understand the inconsistency between disciplines.

Rant over...

I'll also do some work with Chilli this week and aim to get him into more regular work. I'm hoping I can move him to a field closer to the main stable yard soon as he's currently out on a 20 acre field which will soon have a lot of grass, plus it's a 20 minute walk to get him in if he's at the far end which makes evening riding in addition to Danny a bit difficult.

Oh what a pain about Prestige as I know part of the reason you wanted to do the AMD trip was as a tune up for AFs. It will be such a shame if you miss it as Danny is looking great at the moment. I am cross on your behalf. :mad:

KEK

Visit site
Day off tomorrow, doing nothing apart from maybe visiting Horseland to spend my bday vouchers. Work is manic and it feels like the whole world has bought pets!
Dog trialling Sun since we have opened up.
Malachy went XC yesterday for the 1st time and was very no fuss apart from a brief battle into the water and the ditch (pony grave). Sadly his trainer is going back over east for 3m so he won’t be doing as much. Might do some more in hand stuff with him.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Nothing all that productive planned. Horse has a vet visit today to see how everything is going post tooth extraction and replace the dental material that's in the socket. Then there is a jumping clinic at the yard that we are not partaking in because we don't jump all that seriously ? if the weather is nice we'll hack or walk with the dog and maybe school one day depending on the availability of the schools.

It was really windy yesterday but horse still felt pretty decent regardless of everything blowing around. Now that he's 1 week + post extraction we're going to crack on with work. He's eaten well and just felt/seemed normal this whole time, so I think he's not so phased by the missing molar.

Northern

Visit site
I am working, so nothing exciting here.
Looks like some rain on the horizon, which we need because things are getting a bit dusty.

Went out with my good dressage friend yesterday for the first time in months! We started playing with changes for the first time and managed a half decent one with many pats afterwards. Good pony! Will play around a bit with those this winter now that her canter is much more established.

Otherwise will probably hack out this weekend, might jump on the young one again and take her out exploring.

Have a good weekend all!

j1ffy

Visit site
LL - that's a shame! Fingers crossed for pus...

Oh what a pain about Prestige as I know part of the reason you wanted to do the AMD trip was as a tune up for AFs. It will be such a shame if you miss it as Danny is looking great at the moment. I am cross on your behalf. :mad:

I've had an email back from them and they're putting me in the later section with a note that I'd prefer a time after 5pm. I usually take Friday PMs off (well, sort of! At least a couple of hours for my usual gossip hack) so that would be workable. We have a major new project starting that week and I don't feel I can leave the team on their own while I indulge in my extravagant hobby! Either way AMD will be great, we can work towards Medium stuff and, most importantly, catch up with friends and new ponies ;)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Currently faffing about deciding which of the three pairs of riding tights I ordered I want to keep or whether to hold off wearing them and look elsewhere before deciding what to send back. Bit miffed that one of them isn't consistent with the picture of what I ordered. My spec is fairly humble I think - phone pocket, high waisted, no big branding on the leg - but hard to find a combo of all these!

Got a lesson this afternoon at RS I've just been too once. Really hoping I'm on the same horse as last time but didn't request this specifically as on the other hand probably good for me to get experience on different horses anyway.

Hopefully hacking with a friend on Monday to see the bluebells :) very excited about this!

Hope everyone has a fab bank holiday weekend.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hacked on local patch this morning.
Boxing out to hack tomorrow with friend, only 5 miles away but saves a lot of boring bit to get there.
Might do local RS sj comp on Sunday, can enter on day 8f necessary.
No plans for Monday, but rain currently forecast.

Good luck to those competing, hope everyone has a good time whatever they are doing x

blood_magik

Visit site
Quiet weekend for us but we have lots on during the week.

Jack has a lesson booked with Scott McLellan through BD Tuesday afternoon and I’m hoping that Charlie will manage to squeeze Blue in so we can run through our test before our BD debut next weekend ??

took the plunge and joined one of the local riding clubs so looking forwards to getting out and being able to use the new lorry for more than just going to the vets ?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Tomorrow I am off for a showjumping lesson as unhappy with my jumping position. Despite two double clears lately out eventing there is a lot I am not happy with. So tomorrow I begin tackling it. I have watched a lot of top sjers on video, watched a lot of my own videos so have a clear idea of what needs tweaking.
On Monday I am off stallion shopping with a friend. Off to look at potential stallion choices.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
On Wednesday, Maddie and I went to an in-hand clinic with Diane Thurman-Baker. Cassie and I had a few sessions with Diane, and I have been trying to transfer that knowledge into my in-hand work with Maddie, but it was definitely time for some expert eyes on us. We started with a gentle lunge just to get her warmed up, and for Diane to see her paces. Then we moved onto some shoulder-in/leg yield work. We started on a circle on the left rein, but Maddie throws her weight out through her right shoulder and collapses on the left, so we changed to more of a square shape with corners which slowed the movement and gave her time to become more balanced. The other rein was a bit easier for this exercise. Then we moved onto a sort of figure of eight, with her going round me in shoulder-in on one circle, then me going round her (reverse shoulder-in) on the other - I am not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it will help me to remember it! After that we moved onto some travers, and the start of half pass and walk piris. Diane then introduced Maddie to the idea of Spanish walk, which will really help release her shoulders - she picked it up quite quickly, so my homework is to start incorporating it into the walk, rather than just at halt. Maddie finished off with a nice stretch on the lunge before loading up and heading home. I am always interested in the biomechanics side of things, for both horse and rider, so Wednesday's clinic along with our Andy Thomas one from last week, has given me a much better idea of our asymmetries, and how we can work to improve them, resulting in a better performance from us both.

Brilliant write-up - Maddie is looking fantastic.
I've just realised that we must have been posting a weekend plans thread at a similar time (I assume I just had less to type). I just posted and logged off, but if I had noticed I would have moved over to yours (since it was a much more interesting start ?)...Sorry!

Wheels

Visit site
I'm finishing work right now and heading to the beach with M - 4x4 is already loaded and trailer hitched up, pony brushed at lunch time so I'll be on my way in 10 minutes :D

hacking tomorrow and sunday and I think we are due heavy rain on Monday so will get the waterproofs on and powerwash the yard