Me AGAIN!!!! i desp need brakes XC-advice 4 a serious tank pls?

prudunce

Visit site
myler combo is obv not having the desired affect on my tank xc,im having to pull against him all the way around and stearing very hard!No joke when i say my arms feel like they are dead after a xc round!!!
Do u think a pelham and 2 reins wud help.??never used a curb chain with him as yet!obv having the curb may work as hes obv dead in the mouth to a point!
What pelhams are the harsher ones??jointed??mullen mouth?? obv if i use 2 reins i can give and only pull him when hes tanking off??as i hate pulling him all the way around,cant be nice 4 him!!
Sj,hacking fine in snaffle,even xc schooling ok now!its just for a XC comp when hes obv having too much fun to wants to go FASTER & in the direction he wants to go!!!!!arrrrrrrhhh NOT funny anymore beasty!!
grin.gif
(tho i still luv the b*gger)
grin.gif

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
Pelham works a treat for Soap XC but then he doesn't really pull hard, I just use it to set up or check as it is pretty strong. I would get roundings and use one rein as 2 might be a bit of a handful XC!!! I have a metal pelham that is 4.5 inches with a curb you can borrow if you want?...

charliesarmy

Visit site
I ride mine XC pelham with two reins (friends couldnt understand why I did two reins) but it was for the reason you stated I wanted to pick and choose when I applied the curb (generally just when we started goind way to fast)...it was a huge relief finishing without feeling my arms were two foot longer....she's in a mullen mouth as she has a low pallette so must jointed bits dont suit her...but I also tried her in a Kimblewick which she was also fab in and only one rein but she eventually got strong with that too...

Good luck hope you get the ABS fitted soon
grin.gif

kick_On

Visit site
i have tanking issues
in my selection i have cheltenham gag, pelham, tom tumb gag and american gag.

If you can cope with double rein i would defo go down that route........... and don't be afraid of sitting and holding rememeber if holding seat deep, and pull elbow into stomach. I've also found you do need to teach them at what point YOU WILL NOT ACCEPT!!!!

As if having steering issues aswell think of have fuller bars on bits aswell

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
My daughter tried a nelson gag on her very strong horse (think really strong, she's used to pullers and he just locks onto a fence and goes for it..)
It was a complete success and she described it like feeling as though you had a snaffle but with steering and brakes.. It has cheek pieces for steering and a short gag bit for brakes, so only one rein.
I reckon this would be what you are looking for.

neddynesbitt

Visit site
I second the NELSON GAG. Our horse was exactly the same and we tried a pelham, american gag, scourrier, kimblewick etc and then tried a cheltenham gag which was fantastic.

It has a link in the middle (not french link, it looks like a peanut!!) Sorry can't remember the proper name.

Anyway, I had only borrowed the cheltenham gag and could not find the same anywhere (actually that's a lie, my local tack shop had one but they wanted £268 for it...yes that's right TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY EIGHT POUNDS!!!)

In the end I went on the shop 4 bits website and saw the Nelson Gag which I thought would be even better....and it is.

I had in on trial and was so pleased with it, decided to buy it. The whole thing cost around £90 which is much better than the tackshop.

Since having this bit, we have a controlled horse.

Good luck
smile.gif