Meeting the hunt whilst walking your dog

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
And it is awful that those cats were killed but I still don't think it means hounds blindly attack other dogs.

I think that they would under the wrong circumstances. Certainly anything like mine (small and fluffy) would be fair game. A larger dog, no I don't think that they would.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A report, admittedly taken from an anti website, of a magistrate's 14yo JRTx being killed by staghounds outside its own home :(.

http://www.wildlifeguardian.co.uk/news/hunting/hush-money-offer-after-staghounds-kill-terrier/

I agree with amymay that larger, dare I say it, 'proper' dogs are more likely to be ignored. A lab may pull your arms out trying to join in, but is much more likely to be ignored by hounds. I definitely wouldn't like to get caught out with a Bichon or a Yorkie.

ETA By 'proper' dog I mean as recognised by the hounds, I'm not meaning to be rude about toy breeds.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I would pick up a small dog. I have taken mine to the meet and I didn't get too close if possible. I thought that if my terrier snapped at a hound they might well snap back with interest.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We nearly did get caught up in the hunt, who had apparently just killed a fox in front of the antis, last week. Missed them by less than an hour on a quiet lane on one of our regular dog walks from home. Plus all of the police etc who got called in.

Not impressed.

ETA It's clear from local's comments that folk get pretty scared at the thought of being caught up in a hunt. There were a few dog walkers who were frightened yesterday by the close proximity of another neighbouring pack in cry.

Last edited: