Memorise or have it called?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
In a dressage test, which do you prefer?

I’ve entered a prelim test for next weekend, I use to memorise all dressage tests but the last trot test I did last year (on my then 4yo) I made a mistake. I think taking a young horse into their first test and memorising it, was to much! 😂

I’m not sure if memorising and having someone call will put me off?

Thoughts?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Granted I haven't had much experience but I did a few tests this year (one was the same test twice) and learned the test. Twice I had callers that I hadn't asked for but didn't mind having and to be honest I was so nervous (or so 'in the zone') I didn't hear much of what was being said by the caller! I'm also not sure if I learn my tests in a weird way but I didn't memorise the letters so the instructions might not have made much difference even if I did hear them. I don't think I'd like relying only on a caller.

94lunagem

Visit site
I used to memorise, tests flow better and I was fussy about callers being far enough ahead of me to properly prepare for the next movement. You get to a stage where you zone them out anyway.

But do whatever you feel happier doing. And remember, if you do go wrong, you’re not the first and you won’t be the last!

jojo5

Visit site
If you decide to have a caller, it’s well worth practising with them beforehand. Even if they are experienced, it’s a fine art getting it right. I used to do quite a bit of calling for a variety of friends, and each one was different in how far ahead (or not ) they wanted me to be and exactly how they wanted each movement described ( not always exactly as the test sheet).

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
For most of my Intros and Prelims I had my instructor to call, I knew the tests, it was more psychological backup.
Now instructor is videoing rather than calling my online competitions I realise I am probably better, or just as comfortable, without.

Squeak

Visit site
I’ve found I’ve sometimes had worse marks for having the test called. I always used to remember them but recently have been having them called and one judge in particular marked me really harshly a couple of times because of it.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I always have my tests called.
I only do Intro now but it was the same with Prelim.
If the test has 2 manoeuvres, say, M,C,H, I will keep repeating the move thereby having an endless test!
I don’t know why but I always do it, even if I pace it out on the carpet at home.
My mind will not remember a test.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Would add that having written at a couple of unaff. comps recently, relying on callers didn't guarantee no errors of course. In one case it was caller fault and the just didn't penalise for it, although I'm not sure if that was just that particular judge being nice or whether usually it would still lose you the marks.

I found that learning my test helped my nerves a lots as it gave me a focus that wasn't 'oh god I feel sick/what if this/what if that'.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I always have my tests called.
I only do Intro now but it was the same with Prelim.
If the test has 2 manoeuvres, say, M,C,H, I will keep repeating the move thereby having an endless test!
I don’t know why but I always do it, even if I pace it out on the carpet at home.
My mind will not remember a test.
Please excuse some learning theory!

Especially if you are nervous, your memory works better if you are going towards something familiar. If you are learning a speech or lines for a play for example, learn the last line , then the last two etc. So in this case if you know the end of the test better than the beginning you will be more relaxed and remember it better. Instead of starting at the beginning of the test when you are practicing, do the last move, then the last two etc, until you get to starting with the first.

That's the theory. I prefer a caller!🤣

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Please excuse some learning theory!

Especially if you are nervous, your memory works better if you are going towards something familiar. If you are learning a speech or lines for a play for example, learn the last line , then the last two etc. So in this case if you know the end of the test better than the beginning you will be more relaxed and remember it better. Instead of starting at the beginning of the test when you are practicing, do the last move, then the last two etc, until you get to starting with the first.

That's the theory. I prefer a caller!🤣

Thank you.
I have tried plotting the test repeatedly on a piece of paper, walk, trot and canter on the carpet or the lawn, pretending it’s a song and probably other ways I've forgotten.
I remember it pretty well when I do any of these.
I get through the first part when riding and as soon as I get to a corner my mind says
which is next? walk between, trot at or whatever.
As I only do the practise test days for riding club now I no longer care and join in to meet people and do something for a change to my usual hacking.

I can’t be the only one where there is an inability to remember things like this.
I am one of those people who think
Was I asked to phone if I’m going or phone if I’m not
so I phone anyway, just in case!

Julia0803

Visit site
Would add that having written at a couple of unaff. comps recently, relying on callers didn't guarantee no errors of course. In one case it was caller fault and the just didn't penalise for it, although I'm not sure if that was just that particular judge being nice or whether usually it would still lose you the marks.

I found that learning my test helped my nerves a lots as it gave me a focus that wasn't 'oh god I feel sick/what if this/what if that'.
I’ll put my hand up here and say I was once that caller 🫣. Worst bit was my son, who was riding looked up horrified and said, ‘are you sure?!’ I’ve called ‘Yes!!’ <thinking for goodness sake, child!>….. umm turns out I’d missed a line and he knew it correctly. He lost marks (2 I think?) made the difference between first and second place… whoops!! That was at Quest, so no idea if UA a nice judge might let you off.

Personally i like to know it, and also have a caller. I had an incident where a friend called wrong, missed out the last move before centre line. I knew she was wrong so carried on and did my own thing.

Definitely make sure you run through it with your caller tho. I like my caller to announce the next move quite late in comparison to others I think. Possibly because I kind of know it, and announcing it too early confuses me.

So quite often I see someone calling move 3, just as the rider begins move 2 say, whereas I like to have move 3 called as I’m 75% of the way through move 2. So if I’m say circling at right at A and then trot k-h and canter in that corner, call that once I’m at 9 on the clock face of my circle (A being 12). If you call it at 1 I get in a flap. I think I might be an oddity!

Birker2020

Visit site
In a dressage test, which do you prefer?

I’ve entered a prelim test for next weekend, I use to memorise all dressage tests but the last trot test I did last year (on my then 4yo) I made a mistake. I think taking a young horse into their first test and memorising it, was to much! 😂

I’m not sure if memorising and having someone call will put me off?

Thoughts?
I used to memorise mine but then I competed somewhere where I was doing a Novice and an Elementary, they were both long arena and both very similar.
I did the first test okay but the second one I kept getting confused with bits from the first one and eventually had to retire. I was moritfied. After that I really struggled, I think it was a mental thing, I had convinced myself I would mess up next time out and it was very hard to get back on track.

So I'd try and memorise it if you just have the one test but if you have two that are similar get a reader.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Be careful with that, you can get eliminated if it deviates too much.

I prefer not to have a caller as I think in shapes not letters.
I'm another one who learns it as a pattern, so calling wouldn't help as I think my test would look stilted as I'd be looking around for the letters. I learn it in the same way as learning directions to drive somewhere new, so it is like a map in my head rather than like a list of instructions. I would also have to rely on a stranger to call so wouldn't be able to practice with them in advance and would find it stressful if they called movements earlier or later than I needed.

It is a personal choice though, so if you are more comfortable having a caller then go for it. The more relaxed you are (and less worried about forgetting the test) the better you will ride :)

Surbie

Visit site
I have a caller as insurance. The last place we went to has a small metal grandstand next to the school. it was a sunny day and it was shiny. My horse took exception to it and it was really handy to have the test called so I could concentrate on not banana-ing at E.

I do memorise tests differently though, with my additional tips to myself like 'ride into the corner, corner, corner' and 'bend nicely in the second half' so a caller doesn't always help!

(I am not used to riding tests!)

Birker2020

Visit site
Callers are okay if they know the test and know what they are doing. An incompetent caller whose timing is off is worse than no caller.
Yes whenever I read I was "at C track left" whilst the horse had just done about two strides entering the centre line at A.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I use to call for my friend many years ago. She competed up to Grand Prix and was on our teams a few times but with her young horses she had the test called. Her reasoning was she wanted to give them a relaxed, happy outing without panicking mid way through about whether she was remembering the test correctly. One young horse she had was very tense , didn’t need to add more from the rider. I do agree with others about practicing together before hand.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I like to learn it. I find I ride it better. If I have a caller I find I focus on them too much and not actually riding my test. Good luck. Please report back.

Wishfilly

Visit site
In the past I've done a bit of calling for dressage tests, and there is definitely an art to getting the timing right- you have to be ahead enough that they can prepare, but not so far ahead that they lose track of the movements. I do think it helps if the rider has a reasonable idea of what they are doing, though and the caller is just there for reassurance.

I thought you had to pretty much stick to the test sheet though and not add additional instructions?

If having a caller makes you more relaxed on a young horse, surely that's a good thing?