Men's winter wardrobe: boots and breeches recs?

soapy

Visit site
All my equestrian clothing is in the process of falling apart. My GF says I look like a "filthy stinky equestrian tramp" which seems slightly contradictory to me! Any how, my boots definitely won't last the winter. Last time I bought clothes I got them from Horze, but their choice for men has diminished somewhat. I don't compete, just hack, but I hack a lot! I've had a good look online but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows of a good supplier for men (in case I've missed it).

Boots: Has anyone got Mountain Horse Active Winter High Rider boots? Any good? Last time I had MH boots the zip went on them after about 6 months.

Breeches: Contrary to most fashion advice I prefer tight-fitting stretchy breeches, not the pleated ones. Colour range between taupe to brown acceptable. Very hard to find anything like this as men's breeches seem to have got baggy.

That's all. Not expecting many replies!

S

Kat

Visit site
My DH has the ordinary mountain horse high rider boots. They are warm enough all year round just with extra socks for winter hacks.

His top half is hiking/mountaineering/ski wear rather than horsey gear. In the depths of winter it will be a waterproof from paramo, a down gilet, a fleece and a merino baselayer.

Sealskinz gloves are essential.

Jodhs - DH also prefers close fitting ones and can't stand baggy or pleated styles (he also cycles so isn't afraid of a bit of lycra!). He wears some ancient gorringe ones that have been repaired several times as he can't find any new ones he likes as much. Let me know if you find any good ones. Kramer have a pair that look okay but they are pricey. Alternatively decathlon, they have a few pairs that look good including some waterproof ones and fleece lined ones. My nephew swears by the fleece lined ones and he's a full time groom so out in all weathers.

thommackintosh

Visit site
I find Decathlon breeches hard wearing, but they run a little short, so I need full length socks with them (34" inside leg). For decent everyday breeches/jods that run all the way down to the ankle, I find Dublin to be the best and will usually scour eBay to find them.
I found a similar issue with the zip on Horze boots and now stick to Brogini for riding, though a pair of country boots for kicking about the yard.

soapy

Visit site
Thanks Kat and Thom. I have heard of Decathglon but never tried them. Their stuff looks like the sort of thing I'm after although I could only see jods and not breeches. Probably doesn't matter if they're not bulky. I will scour web for Dublin breeches too. Thanks for the boot/glove recommendations too. I'm not an enthusiastic shopper so any shortcuts are a great help.

MrSmith

Visit site
I like the Equilibre ones from Kramer. Had them a couple of years and they have lasted well. I prefer them to pleated baggy types.

I would love some seal skinz gloves but unfortunately their largest are too small. Anyone know any makes suited to slimmer long hands?

Darbs

Visit site
I am exactly the same with breeches, I dont like them baggy. The breeches you describe used to be availabe from Horze. I have ridden in them for some time and they're great however I have just tried to search for them and can't find them now, but they may still be available somewhere. The product code is 180607 or Hz166-7194 made by Horze.

For boots have a look at the Bareback Montana boots. They are meant to be a winter boot but I ride in them all year with no issue. Just be aware they come up very small. I am generally size 43, around 8 or 9, but I am riding in 7.5 Montana. They also do made to measure, they're based just outside Worcester.

soapy

Visit site
I am exactly the same with breeches, I dont like them baggy. The breeches you describe used to be availabe from Horze. I have ridden in them for some time and they're great however I have just tried to search for them and can't find them now, but they may still be available somewhere. The product code is 180607 or Hz166-7194 made by Horze.

For boots have a look at the Bareback Montana boots.

Cheers for this. Very helpful. I'm glad I made this post now. So many brands and tings I didn't know about. The B Montana boots look pretty good value too. Great! Starting to enjoy shopping finally (cos you've all done the hard work for me!).

Darbs

Visit site
OK, I've been meaning to ask this question for a while...

What is the difference between Jodhpurs and Breeches?

Yep, as Soapy said, breeches generally have a much closer fitting lower leg, often using a different, thinner material and no sewn lower seam or turn-up to make them more comfortable under long boots.