Metal curry combs

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have finally accepted I'm a fossil... We are letting a neighbour use our arena as I use it for about 1 to 2 hours most days but otherwise it stands empty and she needs somewhere to ride... Fair enough.

She is 11 years old and appears with her instructor (a friend of mine) and her non horsy mum, she is getting to be a good little rider...

So the scene is set.

Today I had ridden my baby and was grooming her afterwards (partly cos she needed it and partly cos she loves it so it's part of the reward routine) ... So there I am body brush in one hand, metal curry comb in the other building up a bit of a sweat and a lot of a shine and she came across and pointed at the curry comb and said 'what's that?' So I explained it to her but it got me thinking are they a relic? If so why? Is there something better? Or do people not groom their horses ' properly' any more?

twiggy2

Visit site
I have finally accepted I'm a fossil... We are letting a neighbour use our arena as I use it for about 1 to 2 hours most days but otherwise it stands empty and she needs somewhere to ride... Fair enough.

She is 11 years old and appears with her instructor (a friend of mine) and her non horsy mum, she is getting to be a good little rider...

So the scene is set.

Today I had ridden my baby and was grooming her afterwards (partly cos she needed it and partly cos she loves it so it's part of the reward routine) ... So there I am body brush in one hand, metal curry comb in the other building up a bit of a sweat and a lot of a shine and she came across and pointed at the curry comb and said 'what's that?' So I explained it to her but it got me thinking are they a relic? If so why? Is there something better? Or do people not groom their horses ' properly' any more?

people don't groom properly anymore

Capriole

Visit site
Not at all a relic, no :D

But I dont think one small child not knowing what grooming tools are what makes you a fossil just yet!

mynutmeg

Visit site
Nope I use one everytime I groom although admittedly thats not every day - if I'm not riding and she's just going to go and roll again and isn't caked in dirt/sweat then I tend to leave her.
I will also admit to using it directly on her early on in a shedding season groom - it has the same size teeth as a shedding blade and Roo really enjoys it (she likes firm brushes cause they give her a good scratch), her nose wriggles and she'll try to groom you back :D It's brilliant for getting the old coat out when she's shedding out

windand rain

Visit site
I openly admit to being a relic from the past probably fossilized and I use one when I groom but then again the young ladies that ride groom the ponies religiously before they ride and I have never seen them use one

Wiz201

Visit site
we use metal curry combs to clean the brushes with although we don't strap with the body brush because the ponies are mostly kept outside so they need their protective grease in their coats.

Coblover63

Visit site
I use a metal curry comb with my body brush too! What do the "newbies" do differently then??

And if anyone can find me a leather strapping pad to buy, I will buy them a cream cake!!!

Capriole

Visit site
Coblover, Some suede ones on eBay last time I looked, and Shires do a leather one. I got a couple from a local saddlers for peanuts compared with some of the prices i was seeing online :eek!:

Tnavas

Visit site
They can still be bought, I've had to buy mine from UK as I've not found them here in NZ. They arrived with nasty long teeth on the back, so went for a trip to the local mechanics who drilled out the rivets and removed the long sharp teeth.

I still teach proper grooming at Pony Club. These days it's seems the real grooming is a dying art, the hose has taken over.

I remember the boss walking along the stables checking the piles of dust a grease from the curry comb. Can't beat the shine of a brushed coat.

RainbowDash

Visit site
Whilst I don't have one in my grooming kit I have a version of it with one row of teeth. Been teaching mini me how to use it - to the utter confusion of other girls on the yard :)

Gypley

Visit site
You're not old. I'm 22 and use one every day. I can't imagine how you would groom without one. You'd just be brushing the dirt/grease/sweat all over!
I also own a strapping pad and hot cloth regularly!
Even some (older) liveries have questioned what I was doing in then past while hot clothing. Now they make it a weekly ritual like me :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
You're not old. I'm 22 and use one every day. I can't imagine how you would groom without one. You'd just be brushing the dirt/grease/sweat all over!
I also own a strapping pad and hot cloth regularly!
Even some (older) liveries have questioned what I was doing in then past while hot clothing. Now they make it a weekly ritual like me :)

Hot clothing with a bit of TCP works wonders I am lead to believe? Never tried it, I am made of lazy oops :p

Gypley

Visit site
Hot clothing with a bit of TCP works wonders I am lead to believe? Never tried it, I am made of lazy oops :p

It certainly does. I use a cap full of dettol in boiling water (cooled just enough to bare putting your hand in) give them a good rubber curry then hot cloth with a microfiber cloth. Brings my two up like a shiney penny! My boys loves it and literally falls to sleep with his head hanging :)