Micklem Bridle

Irishdan

Visit site
I am quite keen to try a Micklem bridle on my sensitive ex racer. The one thing that is putting me off is the drop under the bit as would prefer not to strap her mouth closed . Can they be used without this? :)

Old Bat

Visit site
No, it helps stabilise the bridle but it shouldn't be done up tight. Our young mare has just started wearing one and loves it even though she didn't like a drop when we tried one on her lightly. The front part of the noseband should sit higher than a conventional drop. My only gripe is the quality of the leather....even with the competition bridle and its price the leather is grot!

TigerTail

Visit site
Actually you can twist it up and fasten above the bit with a hair bobble if you're so inclined, but would suspect if you were using as a lunge cavesson it would need to be fastened normally to prevent the bridle twisting - I just take the bit off to lunge it it anyway.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I use a Micklem on my youngster as he is ultra sensitive around his face (and hind legs). The strap is part of the bridle but you don't need to do it up tightly as the clips that come with it are designed to keep the bit in the correct place in the mouth.

Mine is done up very loosely as he objected to a normal drop and with the Micklem he has stopped trying to get the bridle off by rubbing it up and down his leg and me.

Try borrowing one if you can. Some people love them others can't see any difference but I have been very impressed so far. He now doesn't stuff his nose in the air when I approach with the bridle so I think it must be more comfortable.

Debbie13

New User
Visit site
I am quite keen to try a Micklem bridle on my sensitive ex racer. The one thing that is putting me off is the drop under the bit as would prefer not to strap her mouth closed . Can they be used without this? :)

I have used the Micklem bridle on several horses, it really is a lovely bridle, do not be put off by this
lower strap it is not designed to act like a drop nose-band as it does not have the corresponding top band in the same place, it is also not designed to hold the jaw closed you can have what ever amount of pressure you like by adjusting the tension to suit.

Tempi

Visit site
I use one on my rising 6yr old, he really loves it. He's not keen on drops or flashes but he's fine in the micklem. Doesn't need to be done up tight it just helps to stabilise the bridle.

I've not had a problem with leather quality either, mine is really nice soft supple leather and I only clean it before competitions :)

Irishdan

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Have to say Ive heard only good things about them. Will deffo try to borrow one and give it a go :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would borrow, as you say. I borrowed one for my boy. He was naughty before I bought him and has swellings on his nose from tight nosebands (several at once!). I have him happily in a loose cavesson , but tried a Micklem purely as everyone said they were so comfortable.

In the cavesson he is comfortable with a closed mouth, in a Micklem he was resistant.

Every horse is different and borrowing one may avoid an expensive mistake.

Irishdan

Visit site
I would borrow, as you say. I borrowed one for my boy. He was naughty before I bought him and has swellings on his nose from tight nosebands (several at once!). I have him happily in a loose cavesson , but tried a Micklem purely as everyone said they were so comfortable.

In the cavesson he is comfortable with a closed mouth, in a Micklem he was resistant.

Every horse is different and borrowing one may avoid an expensive mistake.

Yes Red that is sensible advise, thanks :) I really have no idea how my mare will deal with it as never had anything other than a cavesson on, infact was raced/trained with no noseband at all. She is ultra sensitive around the head/face.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm reactivating this old thread because this is exactly what I am doing and it works perfectly. I have carefully cut the stitching on the straps that shut the mouth, and I am very happy with the result. The low position of the strap under the jaw holds the cheek piece nicely stable and stops the bit sliding through the mouth with a one handed rein aid.

I bought it for that stability, the shape of the head piece (but I see so many of them on back to front!) , the absence of a separate noseband strap over the poll, and because I think they are just 'right' for a horse's head physiology. But I don't like strapping my horse's mouth shut.

I have left the rings for the moment I case I change my mind, but I'm very close to cutting them off.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I also dont like strapping the horses mouth shut, I didnt even use a flash before. However I use a Micklem now on one of mine, you do need to use the mouth strap as it does stabilise the whole thing. I actually found my mare quite liked having the bit more stable in her mouth. I dont do it up tight. Its worth trying one, I really like the Micklem.

ycbm

Visit site
I also dont like strapping the horses mouth shut, I didnt even use a flash before. However I use a Micklem now on one of mine, you do need to use the mouth strap as it does stabilise the whole thing. I actually found my mare quite liked having the bit more stable in her mouth. I dont do it up tight. Its worth trying one, I really like the Micklem.

No, you don't need to use it. I have removed it and it works just fine.

Gazen

Visit site
My horse is very fussy with his head and mouth and used to be a star-gazing head-shaker who used to put his tongue over the bit.
I bought a Micklem for my horse and he settled quickly with it. The 'flash' on the Micklem lies in a different position to those on cavessons and I only used it on the loosest setting. After a year of using a Micklem I now have a horse who holds his head in a good position, shakes his head a lot less and doesn't put his tongue over the bit. I put him back in a cavesson a few weeks ago to see how he would take to it. He was still lovely to ride. For us it worked as another training aid.

ycbm

Visit site
Could you take a picture this week please ycbm? Did you basically just remove the straps? I’d like to try this for P.

I cut the stitching carefully so it could be put back on if it didn't work. I'll get you a picture tomorrow.

MummyEms

Visit site
I'm reactivating this old thread because this is exactly what I am doing and it works perfectly. I have carefully cut the stitching on the straps that shut the mouth, and I am very happy with the result. The low position of the strap under the jaw holds the cheek piece nicely stable and stops the bit sliding through the mouth with a one handed rein aid.

I bought it for that stability, the shape of the head piece (but I see so many of them on back to front!) , the absence of a separate noseband strap over the poll, and because I think they are just 'right' for a horse's head physiology. But I don't like strapping my horse's mouth shut.

I have left the rings for the moment I case I change my mind, but I'm very close to cutting them off.

Just searched for this exact thing as this is exactly what I am wanting to do with mine!!! Does it look fine and stay put etc? Xx

ycbm

Visit site

Yes, I do, there is no problem with removing the bottom strap.

MummyEms

Visit site
Would so love a pic. I hate that strap. My horse has a short smile and I like it loose as don't want her mouth clamped but it moves down on her lower lip . Want it gone !!

kc921

Visit site
I use one on my exracer, he goes so well in it, it doesn't feel like I'm strapping his mouth shut either, he can still pull his funny faces at me ?
It will be a fab purchase for you!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Pony managed to break the strap and ring off mine when he rubbed his head. I cut the other side off and have been using it without with no problem. He actually prefers it. I do need to sort something out for him though before I take him to dressage. Just missed buying a second hand one on ebay but I've time yet.

Mudfukkle

Visit site
Would so love a pic. I hate that strap. My horse has a short smile and I like it loose as don't want her mouth clamped but it moves down on her lower lip . Want it gone !!
I used it as a normal cavesson, you don't have to put it in front of the bit, it worked fine doing it up behind the bit for me.