Microchipped?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My stragglers are being done tomorrow, which is my zone day. I put it off because I wanted to share the visit with doing my foal & her markings documents etc plus a bit of a check up.

milliepops

Visit site
Nope. I’d be very surprised if the law is enforced anyway and I don’t intend putting an old, needle shy pony through the stress. When all the coloured cobs in fields near me get seized because of no passports or microchips I’ll think about it.
TBF this would have been my take on it for the old dears that never leave the field...if they were mine. Charity has insisted, obviously ;)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
DP done automatically at grading but never registered with anyone so sorted that out about 18 months ago. B missed the deadline by a year so I had him done within a month of buying him. I was a bit flabbergasted that as a show pony and then a PC pony he hadn’t been done.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Got my old lad being done next week. Other is a tb ex racer so done anyway.

I wonder if not getting a horse chipped would gave any affect on insurance?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Pinkyboots, I was thinking this the other day. It was in Horse and Hound and BHS information but there has been no other source, so if you do not read it, how is an owner to know?

I've had nothing from the vets, who might be interested in promoting this as they will get the money for the microchipping.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Pinkyboots, I was thinking this the other day. It was in Horse and Hound and BHS information but there has been no other source, so if you do not read it, how is an owner to know?

I've had nothing from the vets, who might be interested in promoting this as they will get the money for the microchipping.

I received an A4 book from defra Scotland about it a month or so ago and I think they will have got my address from my horses passports. Friends of mine who have not informed the relevant passport association that they own a particular horse have not received anything.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I would have thought my vets would have sent out something maybe offering an offer! I googled it earlier and found a local vet to me doing a bit of a deal so you would think they would do it.

milliepops

Visit site
hmmm. this thread prompted me to check the others just in case. i know 2 are def chipped because I've had them scanned. the third... i'm not convinced actually! passport is full of all sorts but I can't see a chip barcode or number.

I will do that next vet visit as they're off site from the ones getting done tomorrow.

Re comms, I noticed BD sent something out a while back so I'd expect to be prepared to be scanned, for instance if pulled for a dope test etc. Rare but it does happen (I've been pulled routinely at an area festival). i expect you also have to provide evidence for new horse registrations as you already have to supply copies of passport.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I'm not having my old girl done she is 29 and needle shy and doesn't leave the yard she is freeze marked which was done as a youngster. She hasn't been insured for years so no worries there and can't see my old school vet refusing to treat her which was the other suggestion I've heard. I've yet to have a passport checked before vet treatment ever. I've never bought a horse that had the current owners name registered in the passport (always do mine as soon as bought though) and have bought two young enough to need to be done as foals and both had a chip but not registered to anyone! Until they sort all that out I don't see this national database working (and it's been tried and failed before) and quite frankly with everything that's happening in the world it's pretty unimportant. That said I'm all for doing them all as foals and will have my foal done shortly but am not stressing my oldie out for no good reason.

meleeka

Visit site
What will happen at end of life, will laws be brought in to fine you if no chip? For those at livery yards will the yo tell you to leave if no chip?
For the law to be enforced somebody has to enforce it. Nobody has the budget or the manpower so it’s highly unlikely. It’s the law for dogs to be microchipped already but nobody is enforcing that either.

Esmae

Visit site
What will happen at end of life, will laws be brought in to fine you if no chip? For those at livery yards will the yo tell you to leave if no chip?

Doubt it. I've yet to be asked for a passport by the vet at that time. I've got no end of passports in the filing cabinet for the deceased. This is why the whole thing is a nonsense.

Does anyone know whose responsibility it is to get the horse chipped? Is it the owner or the keeper/loanee?

Last edited:

Barlow

Visit site
I had vet out to do mine today as no microchip number in the passport.
Turns out he already chipped but number not recorded in the passport. Hoping that vet writing it in by hand and then over stamping with practice stamp will be good enough for whatever purpose they are meant to be microchipped for!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My riding horse was done before I got him, as was my now 2YR old (who actually has two!) but I won’t be bothering with my 30 yr old pony and my later twenties shetland. They will be on this farm for the rest of their lives, so I don’t see the point.

chaps89

Visit site
When we were at the vets earlier this year, vet did a very thorough check of passport against the horse (she's known us for about 5 years at this point)
There wasn't a microchip listed in the passport but she scanned with one which the vet then updated the details of in the pp. I wouldn't know how or where to update the chip details though tbh!