Mid july weekend plans

J_sarahd

Visit site
We’ve got the saddle fitter out this evening as I think pony has lost a bit of weight (purposely - as he was a bit chubby but he’s looking good now).

The vet came yesterday to do his jabs and I asked her about him spinning on the lunge so she recommended a bute trial in the first instance. I know in order for a bute trial to be worth it, I have to keep working him as normal but all I want to do is wrap him in cotton wool and give him time off!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well, had plans to do a trail course as something different and cool (even chose this over a competition)...but it was canceled. Again. The first time the person had some personal circumstances, and this time people (including them) are flooded out. We've had terrible flooding here. At least 45 dead and more missing. Villages destroyed. Just so much water. It's unreal. Just looking down in the valley and seeing a village under water.

There has been a nice outreach within the communities though offering accommodations for both humans and animals. That's the only positive thing here, seeing people really coming together and offering support.

So, I'm actually having a shite time mentally, but others have it worse ...and it's pouring, again! Should let up this weekend. I really hope it does. Horses haven't been on the fields in a week and won't be for awhile now, ruins their summer and what little turnout they get. Stables are ruined, schools (indoors) are just destroyed, it's so sad. It'll take a while to come back from this. So I'll be helping where I can, and where horse is, it is manageable so I'll exercise him in whatever way possible.

I really envy some of you positive people on this thread ? that's just not me. Sorry for the bummer post, but it's life. Still wondering how on earth this is a relaxing or even enjoyable hobby ?

Hopefully you all have a good weekend!

Thats dreadful CC. I hope the rain let's up soon.

Breagha

Visit site
Not a lot planned for this weekend as my daughter has had to isolate with being a direct contact of someone who tested positive at her nursery. So she is allowed out again on Sunday and we will take her over so she can ride her pony.

Asha

Visit site
She was acquired in a bit of a mad moment but she is related to my old gelding (Marcolas G x Abergwiffy) and I've put her to a stallion by my all-time favourite, Fleetwater Opposition. Everything that could go wrong has done so I'm not holding out huge hope but ?we get a blob on the scan.

Good luck taking your baby out- it's hugely nerve wracking but well worth doing

Will keep everything crossed for you, that sounds like a very nice cross. Waiting for scan results is a real mix of excitement, nerves and oh sh!t can i afford another round. Good luck hope it works x
fingers crossed for an easy trip Asha :)

OH says there's plenty of grass which is music to my ears because we are totally out at the moment and buying in from outside which is unheard of :eek:

Thanks MP , did a bit of loading practise last night. On my own .. so i wasnt intending on getting them in, just wanted Amara more confident. So i fed them both on the ramp. Amara was very chilled and had all 4 feet on. Planning on doing the same again tonight

ETA : just read CC''S post. So sorry, that sounds horrendous. Hope you get some let up soon

Last edited:

j1ffy

Visit site
DC - I hope it went well this morning!
Nikicb - where are you competing? If it's out this way I may be able to pop over and hold your water bottle :)
CC - I was catching up on the Germany floods on the news this morning. It sounds horrific :( Glad that you and the horses are safe

Chilli has his second lesson today. We've not done much in the school since the last one but he's been great out hacking and I've learnt that he slows his rhythm and relaxes more if I keep my heels down. Clearly he's on a one-horse mission to improve my position errors :p

SEL

Visit site
Well, had plans to do a trail course as something different and cool (even chose this over a competition)...but it was canceled. Again. The first time the person had some personal circumstances, and this time people (including them) are flooded out. We've had terrible flooding here. At least 45 dead and more missing. Villages destroyed. Just so much water. It's unreal. Just looking down in the valley and seeing a village under water.

There has been a nice outreach within the communities though offering accommodations for both humans and animals. That's the only positive thing here, seeing people really coming together and offering support.

So, I'm actually having a shite time mentally, but others have it worse ...and it's pouring, again! Should let up this weekend. I really hope it does. Horses haven't been on the fields in a week and won't be for awhile now, ruins their summer and what little turnout they get. Stables are ruined, schools (indoors) are just destroyed, it's so sad. It'll take a while to come back from this. So I'll be helping where I can, and where horse is, it is manageable so I'll exercise him in whatever way possible.

I really envy some of you positive people on this thread ? that's just not me. Sorry for the bummer post, but it's life. Still wondering how on earth this is a relaxing or even enjoyable hobby ?

**hugs** I've seen the pictures on the news and it looks awful. Hang on in there xx

RHM

Visit site

Oh this sounds awful, hope things improve for you soon!

I am crapping myself about this weekend. I have a local comp and it’s only a 80cm on grass. BUT I will know loads of spectators, and it’s at a actual show not a SJ comp so I’m imagining the atmosphere will be bigger. The pressure is on!! I got used to the COVID lack of spectators and have been loving it ? pray for me please guys!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I am off eventing tomorrow which is exciting.
The horses have been exceptionally good this week. Both sisters have decided they will now travel together in the Cheval Liberte which makes my life 100x easier. Took both xc schooling on Tuesday with a friend who is a good rider. Friend rode the grey pony and I rode the bay pony and both were very good. Grey pony looks ready to go eventing again after all the work which has gone in. XC in a snaffle and shortened her stride, went off a deep spot and turned. Made me so happy to see as I have spent since May installing all this stuff. Bay pony decided ditches were fine and water can be tackled.
Heartbeat scan on Monday for Flozzle. So have all my fingers crossed. Grey pony will go xc schooling with me on Thursday afternoon. If that goes well then I am entering stuff!

blood_magik

Visit site
We’re off to the other side of Edinburgh today. First test isn’t until 3.30 but it’s a 2.5hr drive so I’ll need to go drag all of the boys in soon so Raz can have a snooze before being plaited.

Not expecting too much from him as it’s to be hot. We worked on preparing each movement in our last lesson so that’s the aim today.

Blue’s off to BD camp Monday, Tuesday and then back at the same venue for mid-week BD Wednesday so we have a busy few days coming up. quite looking forwards to the test riding session as it’s with one of the stricter BD judges and we’re riding E53, which is one of the tests for Wednesday - hoping he can help fix the issue I’m having with my left CC ???

gratuitous pic of the dogs helping me get the big lorry ready for its first proper outing yesterday ☺️

8E704D2D-5469-4A40-9BE9-DA0CD9C70CE1.jpeg

Reacher

Visit site
@CanteringCarrot its looks horrendous on the news - my thoughts are with you and everyone affected.

Had a flatwork lesson mid week which was good - mr H started lethargically but did some lovely work. Turns out I have a wayward right hand which I need to make behave.

Had yesterday off work - went wild swimming in the morning and beach ride with a friend in evening. Today am mending the elecy fence .

Having a Xc play tomorrow early before it gets too hot.

Picture of swimming location - I’m not one of those jumping!
735D7E41-0216-48AC-976C-5EF201FC0CED.jpeg

Sprat

Visit site
I have a lesson this afternoon and then a Franklin ball clinic tomorrow, but I am flapping about travelling in the heat. It’s due to be 26 today while travelling though it’s only 20 mins down the road so I’m sure that will be fine. The clinic tomorrow is a good 50 min drive away and it’s going to be about 28. I’d be gutted to miss it but I can’t decide what to do ?

Reacher

Visit site
I have a lesson this afternoon and then a Franklin ball clinic tomorrow, but I am flapping about travelling in the heat. It’s due to be 26 today while travelling though it’s only 20 mins down the road so I’m sure that will be fine. The clinic tomorrow is a good 50 min drive away and it’s going to be about 28. I’d be gutted to miss it but I can’t decide what to do ?
Blimey - horse and i would melt at 28 ?

Michen

Visit site

As long as your horse is fit I’d crack on. It would be the travelling I’d be most worried about than the actual work, but it’s not exactly a long journey.

Horses don’t melt contrary to our fears ? .

Reacher

Visit site
Obviously it depends on the humidity , how accustomed your horse is to the heat etc.

Personally, my horse feels lethargic in our current mere 21 / 22 degrees and i felt very hot in the sun this morning trying to fix my elecy fence hence my saying we would struggle at 28.

Sprat knows her horse best and how humid it is etc , how strenuous the clinic will be and whether he would cope at the forecast temperature

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yup I abandoned riding today, mine is OK in the low 20s but it was already 25 by the time I had finished field chores so I've sacked it off. The temps have changed too fast for mine. It would have been fine for Darcy though.

OH was up at 5 to go mowing again. I should have leapt out of bed when he did but I was trying to have a bit of a lie in!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I was so glad I had arranged for indoor arena hire so I could ride out of the sun. We got warm, but had plenty of walk breaks and to be honest Maddie wasn't that sweaty at the end, and she seems to be a warm pony. She has plenty of ventilation in the lorry, and wasn't any warmer than she would have been stood in her stable when we arrived (25 minutes journey). She also has electrolytes daily and I have a hose on the lorry to wash her down afterwards.

@Sprat you know your horse/setup better than us, so you know whether it's too hot for you to be riding. Definitely go with your gut feel.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I didn’t go eventing today - owner text me at 7am and said they didn’t want to run the horse as my times were 1pm-3pm plus it has uveitis which we have managed very well this year so didn’t want to run the risk. Instead I have washed 16 rugs and 6 saddle cloths in the cement mixer with pressure washer to rinse. Saves the washing machine and some were disgusting! I don’t do the big expensive rugs like winter turnouts as you can’t reproof so get those done professionally just all the fly rugs, stable rugs coolers etc

blood_magik

Visit site
Ooft it was a warm one today ? Thank god there was a strong breeze where we were.

Raz took exception to the bottom doors being open and went very tense on me in the first test but we got round without any major mistakes.

decided to give him a little bit of calmer before we went back in for test two and he was much more agreeable the second time round ?

He did feel tired by the time we got to the extended canter and extended trot at the end but he tried, bless him. ?

Not brilliant scores %-wise - 65.6 and 62.3 but it’s not often that we have to ride in 25/26 degrees so I can’t complain.

57EDAB75-D29B-4325-A2DB-7C5FC9B35A02.jpg

View of the east coast on the journey over B9D1C249-EE83-43B5-8A17-0CBFADFB6D8A.jpeg

Easy leg stretch for Raz tomorrow then he can have a couple of days off while Blue and I are at camp

Sheep

Visit site
Very hot day here! We survived our second event ? kept the warm ups slow and relaxed, which seemed to work well.

Another week, another cricket score from
Team Sheep ? was sitting 12th after dressage (out of 32) then peaked at 9th after a clear SJ.
Onto the xc, I was a wee bit worried about fence 7 (jump into water) and 9 (a drop - same fence was in the 90 & 1m so I felt it was a bit much for the baby class, anyway…). Fences 1 - 5 were fab, then just as we approached fence 6 we were stopped and held for a couple of minutes. It was annoying because we lost of lot of momentum we’d built up ahead of the water. Over fence 6 no issue, then came to a stop at the water. Circled, round again and in he went with a bit of encouragement. Same story at fence 9, but popped down nicely on second go.
On paper not great but we weren’t last lol and we made it home safe. If you’d told me even a few months ago that I’d try eventing, I would have laughed, but this big horse just makes it fun ?82224B78-2D0D-4EDA-9EF6-2262F17DD8A7.jpeg

Wishfilly

Visit site
Very warm today here so got up early and hacked around the lanes this morning. Bath time this afternoon. Not a brilliant photo (courtesy of my dad) but a pretty shiny happy pony this afternoon.

Hoping to get back into regular work now we have a good saddle and I have a bit more time, with a view to an outing at the end of the summer!
blue post bath.jpg

Wishfilly

Visit site

So sorry to read this, the pictures I have seen are horrific. I think in the face of such things it's very hard to stay positive!

scats

Visit site
I bathed Millie this evening, it was just too hot for us. Rugby club behind our yard decided to have a full on firework display at 6pm. No warning.
Polly was out in the manège having her half an hour mooch (vet allowed) but thank god Millie was in the paddock next door and kept a level head, so although Polly looked a bit shocked, she didn’t react.

quizzie

Visit site
Took my overgrown labrador puppy of a horse ( over 18hh) to area festival on Friday to do two music classes, he only came 2nd in the adv. medium freestyle and qualified for the championships, and in the medium came 3rd, a fraction under 70% ,so has a sporting chance of a wild card! It was quite hot, and he definitely does not "do" heat, so was thrilled with how well he tried.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Teeny milestone for Frankel, dug out a spare bridle for him to start learning about being a grown up. I've been waiting and waiting for them to move to the grass I've got saved at the retirement field before I started doing stuff with him, as it's flatter. but I can see that just not happening at this rate so we may as well make a soft start.

Hera thought it was absolutely fascinating and had to muscle in on the lesson, what's new.... :rolleyes: as you can see he wasn't exactly bothered by the experience. popped it on and off a few times, left him to contemplate for a while and then he ate some pony nuts with the bit in so we called it a day.

218178743_4516681881676620_2625622259336376195_n.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Adorable Alice is being seen in public for the first time in 2 years, assuming she does not self harm overnight. Small hunter class at the Midlands ID show. Can't see her being overly pleased with the prospect to be honest. We trimmed her furry chin and bikini line tonight. Her rider is very worried she won't be able to get her boots off after a lot of sweating and I am wondering what on earth we are thinking of even considering going out in this heat. At least it is only 30 mins away.