Mid June Weekend Thread

nikkimariet

Visit site
Busy week!

Fig is his usual happy chirpy self. Looking great and feeling great! He’s settled into such a nice partly retired routine.m, my BFF Stuart is getting on so well with him for hacking which makes my heart melt.

BAF8A2BB-B5B0-4167-BAC3-1B5243E974E2.jpegBAF8A2BB-B5B0-4167-BAC3-1B5243E974E2.jpeg
540C38C2-4C3E-4467-8963-BF50A23CE400.jpeg

Rooni had a beaut hack mid week after contending his second 7yo class on Tuesday. I improved some things and messed up others. We won it on 63% (out of a lonely 2 but the other horse did a stunning test). It’s a hard test and I was pleased with his performance.

We were back at the same venue for M75 and our first medium freestyle yesterday. Thanks to some complete arsehole riding right into us (on purpose!) Rooni freaked out big time and 75 was a bit of a mess for 64%.

Thankfully he recovered nicely for the freestyle and won that on 70%, i suspect the first class would have been similar without the incident. A LOT of people said something at the time (I’m known for speaking my mind and made my thoughts obvious) and other riders came to find me between classes to check we were ok which was very kind.

E193D06D-BB59-4B9D-A103-3490D4ABA194.jpeg
6DC4853C-4FE5-4CC7-B46B-E4069E9D4F5C.jpeg

Last edited:

J_sarahd

Visit site
Wow. Today was just what I needed. Pony was extremely looky when I got him off the box but he warmed up perfectly. Popped a few jumps but didn’t want to overcook him, especially in this weather. We ended up waiting a long time as quite a few people were having problems on course. Our turn to go and we flew fences 1, 2, 3 and 4 (doing the 70cm option at all). Refusal at 6b, but I didn’t ride him at all and just sort of gave up. I chose to do the alternative at 7. Refusal at 8, but I was so busy looking for it that I didn’t ride him properly. Then flew the rest of it! We did the 70/80 log, 80 palisade, 80 sunken road and 80 steps. Then I took a risk to do the 80cm hanging log to the island and he was just insane. Finished easily by doing the 70cm option at the last 3 as he was very tired by that point.

Honestly over the moon! After the other week I was ready to give up on our dreams of ever eventing. He showed me today that he wants to be a little eventer, I just need to work on the show jumping!

Roxylola

Visit site
Thats really poor behaviour for a warm up nm, what is wrong with people to put themselves and others at risk presumably just for a frilly.
Few pics from yesterday. He was so casual to this log he was approaching in trot Screenshot_20210613-151308_Facebook.jpg
This is quite funny on the video as you can see the moment we both kind of went, hmm This is not the best possible stride but it's too late to do much now we'llgo with a slight long one Screenshot_20210613-151255_Facebook.jpg
And this he surprised me by flying, I thought he'd back off as its quite wide but he just locked on and went
Screenshot_20210613-151208_Facebook.jpg
Been clipping again today, so I'm home for a shower and heading back to ride in a bit

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well done Rara! Great pics too ?

I didn't go anywhere in the end, got a touch of sunstroke after course building yesterday, felt so pants this morning that I pulled out of going sj and didn't bother to ride at all. Boo!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Wasn't our day today sadly! Bob left a knee at the role top and didn't quite get his landing gear in order. I think both he and jockey will be feeling it for a few days.
But they live to fight another day and it will be a good learning process for him.
But it could have been worse. Sad for the connections of the horse lost there today.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Bummer Jeni but as you say, coming home safely is a good outcome, it's a sobering reminder :(

It was HOT this morning, I rode indoors for the shade but it was just so airless Kira had little to- no GO. But she was feeling very biddable... funny how she is always nice to school the day after being dragged out for a hack, it's like a little attitude adjustment "oh yes I'd rather be in the safe sandpit than the scary outdoors" :p

Week off work this week for me, hurrah. If only the birds nesting in the roof would let me sleep in a bit.
Loading Skool for the small things this week and then try and get OH into action to get lorry plated, it's slow progress now haymaking has begun!

131398244_4419244774753665_3794346185244304900_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Fab day at Berriewood in the OU18 BE90. 28 dressage, unfortunate rolled pole in the SJ then a clear XC with some time pens. The course was long, very twisty and it was HOT HOT HOT. They were out at the hottest part of the day too. But Dolly finished strongly which was good as she's not really suited to heat.

Clip of their day

Screenshot_20210613-220039_Video Player.jpg

Chippers1

Visit site
I also had a good time at Eland :)
Tense dressage (as expected) but the nice judge at least let us trot in front of her car a few times to get used to it and the SJ behind the hedge, didn't help that much though :D. It's a shame as he can pull a really nice test out of the bag sometimes but sometimes the atmosphere gets to him! I still think he did great and I spent most of the test laughing at his antics.
SJ was just amazing, he flew round for a clear. I'm loving how much he's loving his SJ at the moment!
XC was a bit sticky leaving the start box but a lovely forward clear until fence 9(? the hanging log) as I lost my stirrup coming round the corner so was a bit of a mess and we had a stop - totally my fault as I wasn't riding him forward enough. He then finished the rest of the course at a great forward pace, aside from the steps as he slows right down for them, I think he thinks they're a bit steep bless him!

I'm so so pleased with him and so proud of how we did, he's just so enthusiastic at the moment! We've entered into the next hunter trial so I'm hoping to get him down the steps at some speed!

Also met @Ambers Echo at the Dressage ring :)

Roxylola

Visit site
Did you do the 70 chippers? I find the "proper" steps in the 80 course ride better tbh. And that fence on the corner seems to come up really quick - Charlie doesn't like that section particularly either

Chippers1

Visit site
Did you do the 70 chippers? I find the "proper" steps in the 80 course ride better tbh. And that fence on the corner seems to come up really quick - Charlie doesn't like that section particularly either

Yes the 70 and I agree with you, I'd rather do the 80 steps. The 70 steps just seem so steep and long to me (I'm sure everyone else rides them fine :D) Buzz did stumble a bit coming off the last one as well which didn't help. It does come up pretty quickly doesn't it, I've jumped it many times but again I need to remember to ride and that he's not just going to do it because he's jumped it before haha. Totally my fault so I was so disappointed in myself but super pleased with Buzz for everything else :)

FourLeafClover

Visit site
We had a wonderful Weds-Sunday at another national event. Another 2nd, very tightly fought which a great fun.

Was this at Ashfields Rara? I was seeing enormous lorries with massive trailers behind all weekend and was highly confused at what was going on, until I remembered all the Driving that Ashfields do (10 minutes from here). Stunning place if so - looks familiar anyway! :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I also had a good time at Eland :)
Tense dressage (as expected) but the nice judge at least let us trot in front of her car a few times to get used to it and the SJ behind the hedge, didn't help that much though :D. It's a shame as he can pull a really nice test out of the bag sometimes but sometimes the atmosphere gets to him! I still think he did great and I spent most of the test laughing at his antics.
SJ was just amazing, he flew round for a clear. I'm loving how much he's loving his SJ at the moment!
XC was a bit sticky leaving the start box but a lovely forward clear until fence 9(? the hanging log) as I lost my stirrup coming round the corner so was a bit of a mess and we had a stop - totally my fault as I wasn't riding him forward enough. He then finished the rest of the course at a great forward pace, aside from the steps as he slows right down for them, I think he thinks they're a bit steep bless him!

I'm so so pleased with him and so proud of how we did, he's just so enthusiastic at the moment! We've entered into the next hunter trial so I'm hoping to get him down the steps at some speed!

Also met @Ambers Echo at the Dressage ring :)

It was lovely to meet you and the gorgeous Buzz. I looked up your results on the day and was really happy to see double clear. I've just checked again and you were given DC. A stop to get stirrups back doesn't matter as long as you didn't present to the fence.

Chippers1

Visit site
It was lovely to meet you and the gorgeous Buzz. I looked up your results on the day and was really happy to see double clear. I've just checked again and you were given DC. A stop to get stirrups back doesn't matter as long as you didn't present to the fence.

I did like the dressage judge's comment of 'an attractive horse' :D oh that's odd as I definitely had a stop at the jump?! The fence judge was up out of her chair (and was walking back to it as I approached) so maybe she missed it somehow :D
I'm not massively high in the placings but should I tell them their mistake...?!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Chippers, I wouldn't bother tbh. It was unaffiliated, you aren't placed, you did not deprive someone else of a voucher!

Also they once gave me a stop off the Horseware Island when I had video evidence to show I didn't. You are allowed to come to a brief halt but not to take a step back. They just said 'results are final you need to raise it on the day if there's an issue'. I only realised once we got home. Again it didn't really matter as it was unaff and we weren't near placings even without that 20. But I doubt they would want to revise the results now anyway.

Chippers1

Visit site
Ah good, I'll leave it then! I didn't really check the scores properly, just looked at where I came!

Here's a little vid of the SJ (excuse the portrait video, new bf hasn't quite got the hang of filming yet :D) we got a little close to some but as long as he goes over them I don't mind!

And a very quick xc vid too:

j1ffy

Visit site
Looks like lots of good weekends were had!! Rara - I'm another who loves seeing the driving photos, it looks incredible.

We made it to our comp, I plaited, melted a bit, and was very glad we went!

The warm-up was indoors and absolutely roasting so I kept it short, but didn't really feel I had Danny as much on the aids as usual. He was quite distracted still when we went into the arena and it all felt very messy - the half-passes were all below par, he decided walk-canter is too much effort in the heat and did a poo during our first medium trot. I thought we'd be lucky to get 60% and pleased we were HC. BF videoed (also very much in training Chippers! But he got it the right way around) and it looked a lot better than it felt so I began to be a little bit more hopeful.

Still, I was very surprised to get a scoresheet back that was full of 7s, 7.5s and even an 8 for our first walk pirouette! The HPs all scored low but it seems that his general way of going is good enough for Medium - we ended up with 68.33%. It's only 10 months since I took him to his first BD Prelim, at the same venue, and his progression has been amazing.

And that's it now for Danny and I. He's off to sales livery tomorrow, I hope he finds a kind home where they are patient and understanding of his occasional anxieties. My emotions are very mixed - we've achieved so much together, but he's never really been my sort of horse. He's tried his heart out for me regardless and turned into a very reliable performer, and he's lovely to be around so I will really miss him. On the other hand I'm very excited about focusing on Chilli and seeing what we can do over the next few years. I'm sure I'll have a cry at some point!

Here's the video for anyone interested:

Michen

Visit site
Ah good, I'll leave it then! I didn't really check the scores properly, just looked at where I came!

Here's a little vid of the SJ (excuse the portrait video, new bf hasn't quite got the hang of filming yet :D) we got a little close to some but as long as he goes over them I don't mind!

And a very quick xc vid too:

That is a totally different horse to the last video I can remember seeing of him (I think!!!), he looks absolutely awesome!!

Chippers1

Visit site
That is a totally different horse to the last video I can remember seeing of him (I think!!!), he looks absolutely awesome!!

Ah thank you! That's nice of you to day :) he's always been alright at jumping but it's like he's really upped his game recently! I'm also thinking his new saddle plus being barefoot may be helping this...
He's so much more fun to jump at the moment, I know it doesn't always come across well on video but he feels like he's really taking me into the jumps and is more excited about it all. He's such a cool little dude!

Michen

Visit site
Ah thank you! That's nice of you to day :) he's always been alright at jumping but it's like he's really upped his game recently! I'm also thinking his new saddle plus being barefoot may be helping this...
He's so much more fun to jump at the moment, I know it doesn't always come across well on video but he feels like he's really taking me into the jumps and is more excited about it all. He's such a cool little dude!

No that’s exactly what I thought, he looks really forward and fun and I think I remember you having to work quite hard last video I saw (which was ages and ages ago, maybe not even in the last year?).

He looks like such a keen been here.

Chippers1

Visit site
Yes he's been difficult at times! It would've been at least early 2019 when I last posted a video of him (as it was the last time I had someone to record!) so I'm so pleased that you've been able to see an improvement as we've done a lot of work together on our jumping :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
just sharing today's little achievement, second time doing loading practice. All by ourselves this time (as she's over the initial hump of not understanding she could put her feet on the ramp I actually prefer to be on my own as I usually am when doing stuff with them.)

We went up and down the ramp half a dozen times until she was completely chilled about it and coming down as quietly as going up, then i was preparing to pack up and leave them in peace but Hera had other ideas, there might have been some pony nuts left in there ;)

I've never had a horse that loads well from the off since my first pony. Everything since then has arrived saying NO and had to learn that it was OK. it's so exciting being able to teach this one the right way from the start, i think it just sunk in today what a great opportunity it is. I'd been stressing about the responsibility instead of trusting that we can do it easily. Anyway, this kind of attitude is right up my street, clever little wotsit.

palo1

Visit site
Cant see the vid but I absolutely get the thrill of being able to teach something useful properly!! Bravo Hera too :) :)

smolmaus

Visit site
I do actually have horsey weekend plans for once! But a bit outside the normal box. Friday evening we are going up a mountain with a different rescue to my normal one to load up some feral/ abandoned ponies. They were safely herded into a lovely local person's field last week and the first batch can now come back to the rescue to get wormed, teeth sorted and feet looked at. One of them is apparently about to drop a foal any minute so cross your fingers we have 10 not 11 ?

Sunday is a 6am start to go hunt down a different herd elsewhere on the mountain to see if we can get them used to humans and feed buckets so they can be next ?
We got 9 off the mountain, one sneaky stallion escaped. Still an absolutely amazing experience and they're all doing well at the rescue, will see vet and dentist this week.

Also found another herd of 7 in a decent spot currently so in total we have 15 that might be accessible enough to work with semi-regularly until we can get them into a corral and then a box. Cant post photos as usual but I can post scenery!!

We have a FB group, Mourne Horse Watch, if it's allowed to publicly post that, we will have a fundraiser soon and I know asking/ posting about donations can be weird!
sgMkQupl.jpg