Mid June Weekend Thread

Roxylola

Visit site
We hacked tonight, lows were spooking at our own droppings on the way back to the farm and running away from a cyclist.
The cyclist was rather comical actually. He attempted to pass us just as 2 horses in a field poked their heads over the fence and poor Charlie lost all reason and cantered off down the road. I made some progress by using his name and calling woah to him but the cyclist kept coming (wide but still)- could see his thought process - oh yes sorry I lost my min... oh god the monster is still in pursuit! And we were away again. I called to ask him to hang on for a moment which he did and we managed to gather ourselves enough to stop ?
Highs, were something that makes me think one day we'll get tempis. Playing at canter on a track, 10 strides trot, change the bend, canter other leg 10 strides. We managed loads of them and he really "got" it so I'm super pleased with him even if he was a wimp ?

J_sarahd

Visit site
I’m having to walk the course by myself on Saturday as trainer is show jumping. I’ve never walked a cross country course before, mixed with then having to decide at each jump which height to do. I doubt I can rope in a friend to come with me as Eland is like 40 minutes away from us!

Chippers1

Visit site
Ah you'll be fine, just watch out for horses! Had a couple of near misses the last time I did a hunter trial (not at Eland though!)
Brainiac of the year award goes to me as I discovered last night that despite the lock on the outside of my horsebox back doors being broken (so I can't currently use the back doors...) there's also an inside lock which I can use to both lock and unlock the doors *facepalm * :D so now i'm pleased i'll be able to use them until I get the outside lock fixed.

Buzz had a clean yesterday and off to walk the courses this afternoon, feeling slightly less nervous now though :)

racebuddy

Visit site
I’m having to walk the course by myself on Saturday as trainer is show jumping. I’ve never walked a cross country course before, mixed with then having to decide at each jump which height to do. I doubt I can rope in a friend to come with me as Eland is like 40 minutes away from us!
hi i am going to eland tommorow entered the 80 nervous , what time you on ? i am on at 11.50 dres / 11.20 sj and 11.50 cross country , i am 2 hours away so getting there for 8am ,xx

racebuddy

Visit site
Ah you'll be fine, just watch out for horses! Had a couple of near misses the last time I did a hunter trial (not at Eland though!)
Brainiac of the year award goes to me as I discovered last night that despite the lock on the outside of my horsebox back doors being broken (so I can't currently use the back doors...) there's also an inside lock which I can use to both lock and unlock the doors *facepalm * :D so now i'm pleased i'll be able to use them until I get the outside lock fixed.

Buzz had a clean yesterday and off to walk the courses this afternoon, feeling slightly less nervous now though :)
u doing eland ? could u let me know what the 80 is looking like ?

racebuddy

Visit site
I'm at Eland ODE on Sat :) doing the 70. Currently feeling very nervous and worrying that Buzz isn't fit enough but i'm pretty sure he's fine after the various hunter trials/Sj/long hacks i've done the last few months! Just over thinking and being anxious.
Hoping to drop the anxiety on Sat though as Buzz can get very, erm, Buzzy at the dressage there (with it being near the xc) and I want him to relax a bit!
i am super excited and nervous aswell , i have entered the 80 cm if you walk the course could u let me know the 80 is looking also , i am 2 hours away and dressage is at 10,50 andthen only 20 min gap inbwteen them all , getting there for 8am ish so can walk the sj course and cross country and aim to be on board for 10.30am .. xxx r u on facebook dodnt always get channce to get on here , pm if u like xx

J_sarahd

Visit site
hi i am going to eland tommorow entered the 80 nervous , what time you on ? i am on at 11.50 dres / 11.20 sj and 11.50 cross country , i am 2 hours away so getting there for 8am ,xx

I’m not doing the ODE tomorrow. I’ll be there to walk the course as I’m doing the clear round cross country on Sunday as I want to have a go at the 70cm fences with a few 80cm in a competition environment without it being competitive!

Elands lovely and all the stewards/fence judges etc are so nice. You’ll have a great time

Chippers1

Visit site
i am super excited and nervous aswell , i have entered the 80 cm if you walk the course could u let me know the 80 is looking also , i am 2 hours away and dressage is at 10,50 andthen only 20 min gap inbwteen them all , getting there for 8am ish so can walk the sj course and cross country and aim to be on board for 10.30am .. xxx r u on facebook dodnt always get channce to get on here , pm if u like xx

The 80 is normally ok, have a look at the facebook page as they normally post photos but I'm walking the course later so can let you know if anything scary has been added! I have an hour between dressage and Sj then 30 mins until xc so i'm a bit stressed about that! My times aren't until the afternoon though. Enjoy!

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve been following the welshie thread to having just acquired a Welsh x. Too early to tell if he’s got the usual traits but it’s useful info to have. Good luck with the loan viewing, it’s rare to find good horses on loan so I hope it works out ?

Sorry about the failed vetting, that’s always so disappointing.

Off for tack shop and breakfast on Saturday to buy new pony a few bits. I’ve managed to drag some old kit out of storage which is handy but still need a few extra things. Am trying two new saddles, one which isn’t right, but I’ve got back ache now, so not sure if the other is ok for me although it fits him ?

Had my first lesson last night. Went ok but I’m so critical that I was a bit disappointed that I was such a wuss ? we had to fiddle with the mounting block as he wasn’t sure about that, and we mainly walked with a bit of trot work. All went fine and nothing ‘bad’ happened but it feels like a long way to go to for us to trust each other, work out where the buttons are, and improve the flatwork. I think I’m expecting too much too soon, even though I know that it takes time, experience etc to build a partnership. He’s actually settled really well as it’s only been a week. The ups and downs of owning a new horse!

teapot

Visit site
5yo doing BE100, supposedly, may or may not run all/xc, haven’t decided yet.

Then meeting friends and spectating at Bicton on Sunday. Disproportionately looking forward to this. Sun, catch ups, gin, great start list. NORMALITY ?

What is this you speak of?! :eek:

Tumbleweed in tp land, new boys have arrived but neither would be suitable/what I'd be looking for in a horse so back to drawing board. Meant to have lessons on Tuesday but just not feeling it...

chaps89

Visit site
Taking baby horse out to her first arena hire/trip that isn't to a vet. Did loading practice yesterday and the school is at a private yard so hoping for a low key no drama outing, we shall see!
Certainly not up there in the dizzy heights of competing like some of you but it just feels so good to be getting out in the box again and going for a lesson.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
So I have a new horse to play with over the summer!!!! (And permission to post on social media).I felt awful during the lesson. Felt I was riding terribly. She was a bit Welsh dragon snorty/spooky at times but nothing to cause any concern. Popped a few jumps at the end and I was even more awful over fences as she took flyers at everything whereas Toby always got deep so I just found it so hard to stay with her. But we were improving by the end. I really expected her to say 'sorry but...'. So I am ecstatic that she is trusting me with her till end Sept. She's in full work, jumped DC at Eland in May in an unaff ODE at 90 and is well schooled. How lucky am I! Pinching myself.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Nikicb- I saw your facebook page so know who it was with - I have done a test riding clinic and had a lesson with her and my horse went really well both times. Not sure quite why but he obviously wanted to impress her. Mind you the time I rode the test after the test riding clinic wasn't so good but I do remember one of the pointers in particular that she gave me and use that.

I did a few sessions with her with Cassie and I always found them very helpful. She often brings a slightly different angle and is good at telling one to pull one's socks up in a very polite way. I try not to do sessions with her too often, so that I still feel a bit of an 'edge' for test practice which I just don't get riding tests with my regular trainer (who is also a judge as well), but will book another one in a couple of months once we have some really tests under our belt.

Had my first lesson last night. Went ok but I’m so critical that I was a bit disappointed that I was such a wuss ? we had to fiddle with the mounting block as he wasn’t sure about that, and we mainly walked with a bit of trot work. All went fine and nothing ‘bad’ happened but it feels like a long way to go to for us to trust each other, work out where the buttons are, and improve the flatwork. I think I’m expecting too much too soon, even though I know that it takes time, experience etc to build a partnership. He’s actually settled really well as it’s only been a week. The ups and downs of owning a new horse!

You are being very hard on yourself here! I happily admit that I have been a total wuss with Maddie, and she also hasn't really put a foot wrong. It's taken me a long time to start to feel confident with her, and I have no doubt we will still have plenty of bumps in the road ahead. I know for me that part of it was losing Cassie so suddenly, and getting Maddie less than 3 weeks later, but you and B are new to each other and it takes quite a while to work each other out. The goal for some of my early sessions were just to get through them - be kind to yourself. xx

Bernster

Visit site
That’s fabulous AE, how exciting. I’m sure you know this, but FYI I found the bhs loan agreement really useful for setting everyone’s expectations. Particularly important to think about insurance and vet fee cover. Hopefully not an issue but in hindsight I think it’s better for owner to insure even if loaner might pay the premiums. Otherwise if horse goes back with any vet issues, they won’t be covered on the new insurance scheme.

Bernster

Visit site
You are being very hard on yourself here! I happily admit that I have been a total wuss with Maddie, and she also hasn't really put a foot wrong. It's taken me a long time to start to feel confident with her, and I have no doubt we will still have plenty of bumps in the road ahead. I know for me that part of it was losing Cassie so suddenly, and getting Maddie less than 3 weeks later, but you and B are new to each other and it takes quite a while to work each other out. The goal for some of my early sessions were just to get through them - be kind to yourself. xx

That’s a lovely thing to write, thank you. In my head I’m all prepared for the journey and know it won’t always go smoothly, but I haven’t quite been able to live up to that in practice! But you’re right, and I’m going to revise my expectations. I’m naturally cautious and have lots of support at the yard so I’m in a good position to manage. Saying that, I’ve kind of flung myself into the deep end and booked into ingatestone tomorrow for a last minute saddle appointment as the two I have on trial aren’t quite right ?. He 12 and has lots of life experience so it’s not like he’s a baby, but I am aware he’s had a huge life change.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Quiet weekend hacking planned , then ramping up to Sky going for training with Clive Halsall for two days the end of next week and Blue going out to do two prelims unaffiliated next weekend .
The break from competition with Sky is proving helpful he’s getting loads of pole work to up strength prior to starting the piaffe work and we are training the changes The changes are going ok he’s getting the idea and the great thing he’s not tense about it in any way shape or form which makes a pleasant change .
We have upped the pressure at home in the training session looking forward to the greater intensity and speed that things will go on at Medium .
The horse shows every sign of actually enjoying that .
I think we will go out again elementary soon but I don’t want medium to come as a shock .
We still need to deal with the less than spectacular medium trot .
Blues campaign to deal with the canter is processing slowly but surely .

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
We are showing on Sunday. Never competed in the 2 classes I'm doing so it should bd fun, and very hot!! Saturday will be spent cleaning all my gear for sunday!

Chippers1

Visit site
It's like half way down the hill so it's quite a steep run up to the first jump. Would be fine if it was a hunter trial but may be a little tiring after dressage and SJ ? should be fine though!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
So I have a new horse to play with over the summer!!!! (And permission to post on social media).I felt awful during the lesson. Felt I was riding terribly. She was a bit Welsh dragon snorty/spooky at times but nothing to cause any concern. Popped a few jumps at the end and I was even more awful over fences as she took flyers at everything whereas Toby always got deep so I just found it so hard to stay with her. But we were improving by the end. I really expected her to say 'sorry but...'. So I am ecstatic that she is trusting me with her till end Sept. She's in full work, jumped DC at Eland in May in an unaff ODE at 90 and is well schooled. How lucky am I! Pinching myself.
Sounds perfect AE! Hope you guys have a fab summer coming up!

Michen

Visit site
Well my friend was actually entered for Elmwood on Bog this weekend. We went to walk it just incase it was ok ish for a canter around the XC. Most definitely not sadly so SJ it is and save Boggle for a better day.

Cute photo instead of current second spaniel in my crew ?

49498EBB-EAF3-4ABC-BC83-84A99E439CC9.jpeg