Mid October weekend plans

Caol Ila

Visit site
Well, the best laid plans…. Got to the babies later than planned. Hermosa was doing really well with her groundwork so played with that for a while. Had to drop off flatmate at train station, which is next to a (functioning) microbrewery’s pub. Could not resist a pint. I have yet to get to Foinavon and it’s 1600. I think this will be a shorter ride than the one I’d planned.

Pippity

Visit site
Blue tied up last weekend, so we're doing absolutely nothing for a week or two.

Vet agrees that there's nothing in her management to have caused it, so we're proceeding on the assumption that it's PSSM. Hair is sent off for the PSSM1 test, and if that comes back negative, vet is keen to do a muscle biopsy for PSSM2, but I'm still a bit on the fence.

However, there isn't really anything in her usual behaviour to suggest PSSM, so I'm reluctant to whack her on high-dosage vitamin E without a diagnosis, because I'm not sure how I'd see if it was doing anything.

I haven't got a clue how I'm going to manage daily exercise if she does come back positive.

Roxylola

Visit site
So many of you seem to be off to camp regularly - where do you find out about these camps?

no plans for me as I’m injured :(
Hope you're better soon. I follow a few on Facebook, I'm lucky to have both somerford and kelsall within an hours drive and there are quite a few people who run camps at both. What area are you (roughly) might be someone who can suggest a good company near you

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
We are competing! Intro B unaff. Comp attire not required which is great cause I’m not sure my jacket would fit! Plus just a nice relaxed environment for our first comp in a year. Have set aside tomorrow morning to get her as clean as possible and whilst I don’t plait (native) her mane is looking slightly too feral so will try and neaten that up.

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
Hope you're better soon. I follow a few on Facebook, I'm lucky to have both somerford and kelsall within an hours drive and there are quite a few people who run camps at both. What area are you (roughly) might be someone who can suggest a good company near you

I’m in London but obviously happy to travel - thank you!!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Good luck for your comp obac!

Share horse and I had our first solo hack today. A little slow going in walk but we have a few fab canters (which is also quite new to me). Absolute heaven! I had Wednesday off work as I've got so stressed out by thesis that I woke up tearful and anxious. Still quite stressed out but the hack today made things feel much better :) Going again tomorrow with OH joining me on foot. I can't wait for him to meet share horse.

Roxylola

Visit site
I’m in London but obviously happy to travel - thank you!!

I'd probably get in touch with places that are accessible for you - Keysoe maybe, depending what side of London I don't know if aston le walls would be too far. I know @Michen is somewhere south based (I want to say Hampshire but I might be making that up) I think @The Fuzzy Furry might be south as well

Bernster

Visit site
So many of you seem to be off to camp regularly - where do you find out about these camps?

The one I’m on is a riding club one that I saw on Facebook. So RCs are a good bet to follow their events. And venues that you like and are close, like keysoe. ’Adult training camps‘ have moved to bury farm from keysoe but looks like keysoe are still doing camps next year.

Banfield equestrian are a bit further west now but he gets in big ’name’ instructors, like the awesome Ros canter.

Im currently tucked up in my Airbnb as I’m not actually camping - too old and creaky to sleep in the lorry! We had an informative day ahem. Bertie settled really well and has been much more chilled than I was expecting. We had a bit of rushing in the canter to trot work but not bad. Ran through a dressage test and we have a long way to go ?. And then he launched himself a few times in the sj which gave me the hee bee jeebies but improved with a placing pole in front. I feel like we have training wheels on but, hey, whatever it takes! We’re going to suck at the mock ode on Sunday ! Tomorrow is grid work which should really help with backing him off fences, and then xc in the arena. The facilities are fab. Off to bed now as it’s an early start ?.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
We don't have camps around here, I think. Never seen, attended, nor heard of one in the last 8 years that I've been here ?

Low-key weekend here. Horse is having a trim today. I've got some non-horsey stuff to get done. Might hack.

racebuddy

Visit site
Working until 9 pm tonight and been up at 5am ?? gorgous sunset though , my main boy recovering well and on the road to recovery , enjoying the sunshine with the new boy , working the weekend then off to get new saddle checked next week then can finally have some arena hires to get used to him ❤️❤️??

Attachments

• 7E5D091E-0CB3-4AEE-B657-4C000B7BF777.jpeg
    7E5D091E-0CB3-4AEE-B657-4C000B7BF777.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1
  • CC4911E4-5B51-4A25-834A-ED3CA2B0CB6A.jpeg
    CC4911E4-5B51-4A25-834A-ED3CA2B0CB6A.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1

Reacher

Visit site
After a busy week, (lesson and competition last weekend followed by 2 mid week lessons) mr H is having the weekend off.
He was a good boy at arena eventing on Sunday, . He even popped the optional jump coming out of the water
5EF6DBB3-871D-429B-A9EE-3A836F409251.jpeg
Clear and came 2nd in the seniors (Not sure how many seniors there were as juniors and seniors run together but who cares!).

As I’ve been doing this 70-80cm class for ever I’d like to be move up to the next class, but it is a big step up, 90-100 , and the solid fences look scary! (Right hand fence below)
2A296D4E-3767-4331-BB69-3B57E3300BF9.jpeg
My feeling is I am too inconsistent in terms of seeing a stride and it’s unfair to expect mr H to jump 1m from a potentially dodgy stride if I get it wrong. In my first midweek lesson with instructor #1, rather than thinking about seeing a stride instructor says I need to focus on getting his canter more rhythmical and pingy as he has tendency to whizz off. Unfortunately in my lesson over about 75 cm jumps this all went to pot with mr H throwing his toys out of his pram (tanking off, annoyed bucks, refusing to go anywhere near corners ...) I was getting a bit anxious and we had to give up on the jumps...this isn't the first time this has happened...

In my 2nd mid week lesson, this time with instructor #2 , at different venue, had the same conversation and we ended up popping a jump of about 95cm nice as pie with no arguments at all....and the promise/threat (!) that in a week or 2 we’d be doing 1.10m !?

Friday was a beautiful sunny day and we went for a hack in the forestry then both mr H and retired mare had a sports massage booked. Retired mare enjoyed hers very much! Mr H was tight in the poll and I have instructions to do more carrot stretches. This is easier said than done as he is like an over excited crocodile with carrot stretches....I will have to find a way to not lose my fingers.

I was intending to do field chores today but the rain has set in...

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Before 78411AEB-2DA1-424E-BA19-175D59D5936F.jpeg
After
D5CAEECA-906D-4728-97AB-F13777A83982.jpegShe then had a very thorough wash. She’s not rugged so she’s out in the field naked and likely undoing all my hard work. But our test isn’t until the afternoon so I have time in the morning to spot clean any mud stains.

We ran through our test fully once and then just a few of the movements I wanted to fine tune. For a horse that used to headshake violently she did a lovely stretch down on the change of rein (although is tending to snatch a bit but I’ll take it if it means stretch!) and even took the contact down slightly on the give and retake in trot on a circle. I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much tomorrow because she is naturally more tense away from home and will pick up on my nerves.

teapot

Visit site
Lesson was fabulous. Had only ridden horse once before, lovely 6 year old soppy chap. He was the last horse I rode with previous coach so I had a few moments of eek/memories as that lesson was VERY different to today.

SO so nice to be riding lateral work, varied exercises, proper canter work, and a load of no stirrup work to boot. Sounds stupid but there was very little of this in previous lessons this year for reasons unbeknown to me... The ridiculous spook was a tad unnecessary but tested my core out! He made me work for it but he was going beautifully by end of lesson too and coach was great, once again. Mojo's coming back :D

Last edited:

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a brilliant lesson! It felt like we hadn’t missed a day, but we haven’t had a jumping lesson since April. Coolie was on the job, I was on the job, and things that used to feel hard, like maintaining a rhythm and sitting and waiting just happened.

I never thought this horse would jump in a snaffle, and I never thought he would be this consistent either. He’s just awesome. BDC666E6-32FB-4892-8412-577B0AEF4FB5.jpg

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Not an awful lot going on here - I have popped up a new Blog and YouTube video about my shoulder surgery and recovery. I am now at day 14 so feel much better but then still can't drive, ride, tack up or rug up.
I am really excited to be starting hydrotherapy at the local Injured Jockey's Fund Rehab centre on Tuesday but I have to wait another 3 weeks to ride. Which actually is not that long in the grand schemes of things.

Blog

But my horsey fix of the weekend is coming shortly as I am off to Brook Farm this afternoon to help my friend with her first ever PSG. I have been grooming for her since since she was doing Elementary so I couldn't miss this one. Even if I can't do much to help. She's really been an inspiration to me, it's part of how I got to competing at Medium with Nickel, training AM. The best type of horsey friend!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Looks like some fab outings happening.
Been feeling a bit deflated this weekend. Sham has been struggling a bit in his lateral work the last couple of weeks. Instructor came out to see what was going on - after just a couple of seconds walking round..'how does he feel?' also known as 'he doesn't look right'. Hes not lame as such but he's not straight and is stepping out with his right hind. His hocks were only done 6 weeks ago, so not sure if it hasn't worked, or now they are feeling better it's highlighting something else. Vet is coming out in a couple of weeks to check him over, but realistically I think it is probably time to call it quits with the schooling ☹️
He was supposed to be out competing on Saturday so switched in turbo cob (and dropped to a prelim) she doesn't really school anymore but can move quite nicely. So was very disappointed to get our lowest ever mark, even though she didn't really do anything wrong.
Did go for a lovely fast hack this morning though, which has helped lift the spirits a little.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Looks like some fab outings happening.
Been feeling a bit deflated this weekend. Sham has been struggling a bit in his lateral work the last couple of weeks. Instructor came out to see what was going on - after just a couple of seconds walking round..'how does he feel?' also known as 'he doesn't look right'. Hes not lame as such but he's not straight and is stepping out with his right hind. His hocks were only done 6 weeks ago, so not sure if it hasn't worked, or now they are feeling better it's highlighting something else. Vet is coming out in a couple of weeks to check him over, but realistically I think it is probably time to call it quits with the schooling ☹️
He was supposed to be out competing on Saturday so switched in turbo cob (and dropped to a prelim) she doesn't really school anymore but can move quite nicely. So was very disappointed to get our lowest ever mark, even though she didn't really do anything wrong.
Did go for a lovely fast hack this morning though, which has helped lift the spirits a little.

Sorry to hear this M&K. Can understand why you feel deflated.

Glad you got out for a blast this morning though.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Had a very productive sj training session at lunchtime today, despite me being rather weak and wobbly having been through a nasty gastric bug the last few days and running on empty.
B very attentive, plenty of pop and then half halt before corner whilst still on straight line, then on again. Cheerfully popped fillers too as well as 3 fence grid down one side, came out with a dripping B but v v happy.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
949E12A8-BCFB-4EFC-9BFE-E55895744626.jpegPerfect Perfect girl today ❤️ Haven’t got my sheet or results yet so judge may not agree but it felt ok! We were relatively accurate, got a lovely stretch down when asked for and relatively supple. A bit behind the leg but on the whole very happy.

We’ve come a long way from the very wobbly, headshaking pony that practically fell off the lorry a few years ago.

Roxylola

Visit site
Woo, lots of successful weekends - good and speedy healing wishes to human and equine sick notes. We had a super lesson yesterday, rode through e45 which will be our first BD ele test. Lots of work on the canter sections, we've a long way to go really to do well in a test but he's improved and improved so much in the last 18 months the paces have better balance and cadence. And we did a reinback without a stand up (don't ask its a party piece ?)
We were trying a bomber happy tongue and I really like him in it, it does allow him to fix his jaw a bit but he feels really happy to take the contact forward in it.
He was shattered when we finished though - thought he was going to just lie down on the yard when I stopped for a chat on the way to the field. So we just had a little leg stretch hack today, and I sorted some rubber mats out for his owner's dark hairy demon (Shetland). Managed to "pop" something in my middle finger doing them and that's now purple and swollen - no idea what I did as they're only lightweight mats, hopefully it will go down soon.
Oh and picked about 200g of sloes for gin while I was out with the dogs

Sheep

Visit site
Went to an arena hire today which was fab. It is a venue just over the border, I’ve never been before but was v impressed with the setup.
A few others came along and it was an educational day for all.
Big horse was absolutely fantastic. His confidence has flourished, I think our recent hunter trials have really given him faith in himself. He was mega, popped round a course of about 1m and made it look easy. Dying to get on for a jump myself ?

21E47662-3FD3-4191-B9E7-E9649D306C37.jpeg5095ED28-89AB-4B8F-B2D0-9EFE73C3CB02.jpeg329793DC-F753-49CA-8772-0F9A5E506A0D.jpeg

GinaGeo

Visit site
It looks like lots of good weekends have been had ?

We were out doing dressage. He really hasn’t done much competitively, just hasn’t been physically or mentally ready. But the plan for winter is to crack on between growth spurts.

We were just doing a Prelim and Novice. And the novice was up first.

He was a keen bean to warm up, and was running on his nerves a little. We did have some enthusiastic above airs when we first asked for canter, and did declare the mirrors a great shock.

But he held it together in the test. Everything happened in the right place, but the work isn’t always consistent and he’s got a lot of strength to build to keep the balance yet.

The warm up for the Prelim was much more mature. He let me put my hand forwards and ride him upto the bridle. Some movements rightly took a hammering, but there were some nice moments and we are definitely going in the right direction ?

97928B8F-B904-4943-9A44-FB3883F530BB.jpeg

A7880515-6914-4D01-B6DF-1DF3E03D66D0.jpeg

And I am pleased to say that our halting practise is paying off.

E28CE0B7-305C-4BF2-A5A0-223D3D1CA97A.jpeg

McFluff

Visit site
Lovely to read all the fab weekend reports - and sending healing vibes to those with injuries.
Car decided to play ball, so made it to the show. And lovely friend came for support. Horse was a joy to take out, sadly tension is not our friend so scores awful, but he feels better each time out and is much more rideable.
Fabby halt there GinaGeo.