Mid sept Weekend Plans

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ooo, Gareth Hughes...that will be amazing MP, will keep everything crossed that your lorry goes through.

Sorry you're still not quite there LL

Hoping for some more correct flying changes from Ludo now we've found an exercise that he understands what's required.

Oh cool, what's the exercise if you don't mind me asking?

I am slightly jealous of those going to dressage nationals and Blenheim - have fun all.

Sprat

Visit site
Lesson last night was really good. Very different from Super-Instructor but I took a lot away from it. We worked on unlocking the left shoulder and getting a fluid right flexion through the lateral work; we tend to get really stuck and it results in the lateral work becoming tense and horrible which kinda isn't the point. Bean really tried her hardest to understand what I was asking of her, I'm so lucky with her she always tries and very rarely downs tools and says no.

We are booked into a clinic with Richard Baldwin on Tuesday, then a Super-Instructor lesson on Friday in advance of competing on Sunday next week. I feel like we should be SUPER prepared and hopefully won't have to retire halfway through the first test this time ;)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I’ve journeyed back down south as going to Blenheim for the xc with Mum and Florence.

I didn't know this was on but there are still tickets - how long is the day usually - as in what sort of timings do they run to? It would be a three hour drive for me each way, which is fine but I'm not sure whether it would ruin the day for me if I am knackered or have to leave early and miss the good bits to get home..?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I didn't know this was on but there are still tickets - how long is the day usually - as in what sort of timings do they run to? It would be a three hour drive for me each way, which is fine but I'm not sure whether it would ruin the day for me if I am knackered or have to leave early and miss the good bits to get home..?
There is sj on from 8 I think and then the xc starts at 11. It’s a much more relaxed day than badminton/Burghley I find. Shopping/food area is smaller so that takes less time!

Sheep

Visit site
No real plans at the moment!!
Might pop along to local EI tomorrow to nosy at xc - only 15/20mins away so will go across if weather is OK. Might try and persuade OH to go there on Sunday to school around the course. Other than that… uni work, have an assignment due next Friday so need to get my head back in the books.

Lexi_

Visit site
I’m also Blenheim-bound. We’re going for a wander round the shops and XC course today, then fence judging Sat and Sun. Still no idea which fences so I can’t say come and give me a wave ?

Still TBC but I think I’m fence 4 tomorrow and the first water on Sun, so you may come and wave at me if you wish ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh cool, what's the exercise if you don't mind me asking?

I adapted it. My trainer does something she calls "satellite circles". Turn 10m in a corner from the track to the centre line, canter to B/E, counter canter to the centre line, circle 10m on the next corner. When trying to do that exercise, Ludo tries to change when in counter canter/leg yield back out to the centre line.

So I turned across the diagonal from a corner, leg yield him towards the leading leg, convert that into a bend into the new inside leg, pick him up into the new outside hand and ask for the change with the new outside leg and hey presto he changes clean.

oldie48

Visit site
I thoroughly enjoyed my day out at the BD Nationals yesterday. We watched the Gold Inter 1 and Gold PSG Freestyle, not all of both classes but enjoyable all the same. My friends were keen to do some shopping but tbh the shopping wasn't particularly good but we went to Hope Valley and that was much better. It was actually very quiet, we wondered if it was because of the clash with Blenheim and having paid extra for Pavilion tickets, I'm afraid we didn't think it was worth the extra money as the viewing was poor and no free drinks either. I know it was organised in a rush but BD needs to do better. We had lots of laughs though and it was a very cheery day!
I rode Mr D this morning but sitting in a car for long periods yesterday has affected my back, which is very sore. However, I was fine in walk so we did lots of that without stirrups and I found I could then lengthen my stirrups by a hole which improves my position, so it was a worthwhile exercise. I think we'll start sessions without stirrups in future. I'm also going to book in for a McTimoney session, not had one since before Covid and I can tell that I'm rather wonky!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Had a very productive schooling session on Pepsi today. Much better in the contact than he’s been recently. I need to make sure to keep my hands super quiet, and keep my legs there the whole time so he doesn’t overreact. Not perfect, but still pleased. He’s so sensitive you need to make sure everything is so quiet and correct. He really makes me ride, but so satisfying when I get it right!

We also had a little lesson about clippers today. Wanted to clip his beard and heels. First reaction to me turning them on near his head was dramatic to say the least. He’s fine with them over his body, let me clip legs no problem. Little bit of work though and he let me run them all over his face/head (except ears, but seeing as he’s only just letting me touch those I didn’t even try). Still the odd random reaction, but happy with that. I think he’s been clipped before but from his reaction/what I know he’s probably been ear twitched to clip his face…

Just love this little horse so much ?

scats

Visit site
Nice road hack last night, making the most of the evenings while I still can. I have no idea how many take-away delivery drivers I encountered down one residential road in the space of about 15 minutes, but it was far too many to count!

Attachments

• 35A1BCAD-D970-4A5C-BD36-2C5CB5270A39.jpeg
    35A1BCAD-D970-4A5C-BD36-2C5CB5270A39.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Dolly had 3 days off after Frickley, changes to her diet and additional supplements and she’s flying again. Hurrah. Pinged round a110cm course in training just to see if BE100 is still on the cards and her trainer says go for it.

Lottie is being angelic on box rest. Keeping everything crossed that she’s ok.

Mama-bear is fine too, very chilled. Good old pregnancy hormones! I need some! Feel like I’m drowning at times with the endless never-enough-time-or-money stress of keeping all my various plates spinning.

C6EF5CAD-B0F8-480D-8E3D-5D39265857AE.jpg

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've been so ill with Bronchitis and I manged to stay away from the yard for one day and then horse did this:

IMG-20210918-WA0005.jpg

So that's cool. It doesn't seem so terrible upon closer inspection (I went there last night when I knew no one would really be there because I'm still a bit ill). I prodded around and don't think it's too deep, but there is a sizeable chunk of flesh missing nonetheless. Cleaned it up and whatnot. Will check it again today. YO send me a picture this morning and it wasn't soo swollen.

Bernster

Visit site
CC - Urgh, horses! Hope it heals up ok.

Our arena hire yesterday was just what I needed, low key, relaxed, no big expectations just get out and practice a bit of flatwork. Had company so Bertie was more settled (he was nappy last week) although he didn’t even like the other horse being tied up on the other side of the lorry but fortunately he wasn’t overly dramatic about it. Got to try to work out what I can do to improve it, if that’s possible? He’s not green as he’s 12 and experienced in going out, but he is still relatively new to me.

Did some nice walk and trot work. Canter was ok, just need to improve the downward transition as he tends to fall onto the forehand and we get a rushed unbalanced trot which I’m not able to sort out quickly. But it’s def getting better and so much better than when we started about 3 months ago.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Didn't have any specific plans this weekend but have ended up having a very enjoyable time of it.

Didn't ride Friday as back was aching from a final ergot fungus hunt the previous day. Led Bo out for a good long walk though round the very exciting route that includes alpacas and goats!

Saturday we were in the school. Me and Bo usually find schooling a bit boring so I tend to do maybe 15 minutes before heading out for a hack, but he's strong enough now for some longer schooling sessions so we spent 30 mins doing our homework from our last lesson, so practicing leg yield, loops and serpentines etc and had some lovely forward, balanced trots. Dare I say, I actually really enjoyed it!

This morning we trailered Bo down to the Trans Pennine Trail for a hack. Last time we went the number of joggers and cyclists blew his brain a bit so I didn't attempt getting on board. This time he settled really quickly so I clambered on from a bench and we had a really lovely ride.

He really is an absolute star. Love him to bits. ?

Visit site
I am spending today not doing very much because my knees are killing me after yesterday! I didn't sit down or stop once from 7am to 6pm - the joys of running a show! I wouldn't swop it for the world though!

So yesterday was the first running of the Scottish Shetland Pony Championship Show and it culminated in the last pony trotting out of the ring at 5.27pm when I had expected the show to finish around 5.30pm so I am happy it all worked out to time well! Showing not often does! For a single breed show I had some absolutely amazing entries - 107 DIFFERENT ponies entered in over 160 classes between them. More than anything I was so happy at the turnout of Ridden and Driven Shetlands as not many are being shown these days up here. I had 12 different ridden ponies and 5 driven (3 single turnouts and a pair) and with the exception of the odd Shetland being a touch stereotypical they all behaved beautifully. The Young Handler classes were exceptionally well filled with over 25 different kids venturing into the ring with their ponies in tow - or some being towed by their ponies! But it was lovely to see them all enjoying themselves and it gives me hope for the future that our beloved breed will be in safe hands.

I ran the classes as you normally would in the morning and the Championships were to be run in the style of an Evening performance. We wouldn't be waiting for the evening though so I had always said they would start either after lunch or 30-45mins after the last class finished, whichever seemed more appropriate on the day. And so we kicked off our Evening Performance at 2.15pm with the Driving class. By doing it this way it gave people to option and chance to get dressed up with they wanted to and some people really pushed the boat out and looked absolutely amazing! But there was definitely no pressure on anyone to don evening performance wear at all. I didn't want people to feel out of place so we had a half and half split of those who got into the full EP spirit and those who chose to continue in their normal show gear. But I think it's safe to say that everyone had a great time and there were smiles all round!

My Supreme Champion and Reserves were 2 wonderful stallions who were impecably behaved and really shone all day. As I was waving everyone off home I found a small child clung round my waist - She had had an absolute ball with her pony all day and had been an absolute delight to watch.

Needless to say though the day did not go without a few minor glitches - namely a steward not turning up and then a judge. But hey ho! We soldiered on regardless. When handing out number packets in the morning I seemed to be missing not 1 but 2! And I knew I had made them up and they were in the stack but I must have accidentally sifted them out when sorting through everything by mistake. And there they were on my kitchen table in amongst a pile of unused envelopes! Ah well! I had a few spare numbers so it was fine and all worked out in the end.

Whilst I whole heartedly wish that everyone would volunteer a day or two back into their sport a year to help with the smooth runnings of things I wouldn't necessarily wish organising a show on anyone! Especially not when your rosettes haven't arrived and there is only 3 days to go until they show ...

I still have a few boxes to unpack and sort but the results are typed up and sent into the Stud Book Society already I just need to write up the report for the papers which I will send in next week once my photographers have got sent me some pics to use. I am hoping H&H will run it seeing as it was an affiliated show but we shall see.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I could cry. We went to Vale View for their unaffiliated show jumping and I was just hoping for no stops. That’s all I wanted. We entered the 75 & 85, and I thought I could withdraw from the 85 if it looked big (they build up to height at Vale and obviously the JO is 95!) or if the 75 was a shambles. Well! I jumped 2 cross poles before going into the 75 and managed to go clear. Found out we came 8/24 which is so good. Then we walked the 85 and I felt sick because it looked huge (pony is only 13.2, very inexperienced and this is the biggest course we’ve done) but gave it a crack anyway.

We managed to go clear, come 4th and qualify for trailblazers finals. I didn’t even push him in the JO at all. He’s so incredible and to think I was going to sell him a few months ago when he was stopping at everything.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I could cry. We went to Vale View for their unaffiliated show jumping and I was just hoping for no stops. That’s all I wanted. We entered the 75 & 85, and I thought I could withdraw from the 85 if it looked big (they build up to height at Vale and obviously the JO is 95!) or if the 75 was a shambles. Well! I jumped 2 cross poles before going into the 75 and managed to go clear. Found out we came 8/24 which is so good. Then we walked the 85 and I felt sick because it looked huge (pony is only 13.2, very inexperienced and this is the biggest course we’ve done) but gave it a crack anyway.

We managed to go clear, come 4th and qualify for trailblazers finals. I didn’t even push him in the JO at all. He’s so incredible and to think I was going to sell him a few months ago when he was stopping at everything.
Fabulous, well done ??

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sulks all round, Kira had double hacking weekend which is her version of hell, and then found out the organiser has given my space to someone else. So still send lorry vibes, and then assuming it passes I will have to find something else do to with my sparkling clean lorry and day off!

Sulky ears

242241963_4712434668768006_2274741669791580324_n.jpg

nikkimariet

Visit site
I’ve been absent for a few weeks!

We had a lacklustre outing at Bury HP - took severe offence at canter half pass both reins and ruined what was a very good test otherwise and didn’t impress in our second test. No love lost, every dog has its day etc.

Had a calmer outing at Onley the following week - didn’t impress the judge here either but (just) got the scores we needed for some regionals points.

I then spent the best part of a week in sunny Zante, doing not a great deal but my god I needed it!

Hectic week at work and it’s my birthday today so I’ve had most of my hair cut off and not 1 not but 2 meals (so far!) in celebration :)

This weekend I spent in Norfolk at a friend of 21 years wedding, finally! Only delayed due to covid by a year and unfortunately was witness to the utterly horrific accident on the A47 which is something I’ll never get out my head :( Thankfully, the actual event was beautiful and without drama.

The only real horse thing I’ve done is take Rooni jumping today. He was, for whatever reason, extremely sharp! He’s not schooled with another horse for some time and additionally new place plus there was a lot going on XC wise. But I still made my reins 2 inches long and rode a bit crap.

My friend then kicked my ass and we were a lot better so plenty learnt :)

4621E6C3-11B4-4AE0-9477-23E68D638957.jpeg

Can’t wait to go again!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Well, I drove all the way to Allerton to do a dressage test and half a showjumping round before pulling up. For whatever reason he wasn't jumping well in the ring, poles were scattering everywhere and I decided to come home and regroup.

I wasn't the only person having a disasterous time showjumping which is perhaps a slight consolation.

He'd jumped well in the intermediate-novice at Llanymynech, but the track at Allerton was much more technical, spooky, lots of related distances and very light poles. Simon reminds me a bit of King William - once he's tensed up and had one jump down he sometimes just starts to tense up and make the problem worse. Quite a few things to practice at home/in training before our next run at Weston Park. Fingers crossed we can put it behind us...

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan RF. It sounds like it was a good call on the day though and like you say hopefully regrouping and practicing will set you up for the next one.

My weekend ended a bit weirdly. I posted last night in safe place to feel down thread as although I had a nice morning out doing horse things, when I got home some niggling feelings came up again and left me feeling very down. Then I got a message about a potential share. I hadn't been looking since the previous one ended as I've been so convinced I couldn't do another share, but the offer sounded like it could work so I said I was interested. Spoke to the owner today and am viewing tomorrow. Someone on here once said something about the right horses finding us at the right time, so given the timing of the text when I was feeling so down and how good it all sounds on paper I think maybe this is that in action. We'll see I guess :)

mavandkaz

Visit site
Well Sunday was a very long, but enjoyable day. Arrived a little early so able to get our bearings and watch some of the SJ for the first class (minis 45cm). Omg it was carnage, kids being tanked off with, bucked off, much crying, lots of refusals...and unfortunately very stereotypical pony club mums 'smack him!'.
Belle was her usual dependable self, and stood taking it all in, probably wondering where all these ponies had come from. Did a nice steady dressage test, just jogged in her medium walk, for 28.6.
Popped round the SJ nicely, took a few long ones but she always does, and junior jockey stayed with her and rode her well. We had spent some time on course riding as she's never done it and has a tendency to cut corners. But she rode all the lines how we walked it, except for the last where she came in at a bit of angle, but a nice clear round.
Then cross country. Belle enjoys this phase, but does have slight breathing issues so had discussed places to come back to trot if she needed a breather. She is also quite new to it as only xc schooled twice with me, and once with junior jockey. But she was a pro, nice and steady all the way. Came back to walk for the water but didn't stop, skipped over the ditch and neatly popped down the steps. Finished clear (was a friendly intro to eventing so not timed).
So on their very first outing, super cob and junior jockey finished second in their section!
So much love for this little cob - just cannot fault her. (No pressure on me next weekend at our first hunter trial!!)

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
H passed his vetting with flying colours today so will be off to his new home on 4th October! (when the lady gets back from holiday) I’m so happy to have found him what will hopefully be a wonderful home, and I hope he’ll make her as many happy memories as he’s made me. But I will miss him and his goofy personality terribly when he’s gone ??

Apparently the vet was very complimentary about him/his behaviour on the phone to the buyer so that’s always nice to hear!