Millie-Super-Mare's smashing return to the competition arena!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh my word, I've been looking forward to this day for such a long time. We haven't taken Millie out to a show since September 2013, since in October 2013 she bust a splint bone and then in Feb 2014 boogered a check ligament.
A thus-far uninjured front leg came up in the field the other day, so after some caution and a second opinion, plus the purchase of ice vibe boots, I concluded that we just had to crack on before more of the wheels started to fall off :rolleyes:

The day started off badly, as we were on fumes in the lorry and in my haste to leave work early I had forgotten to pack my purse, so it was on a wing and a prayer that we continued our journey to Summerhouse. The traffic was awful so we were 30 mins late, which equated to about a 15 minute warm up by the time Millie was tacked up and I was kind of dressed. I felt that Millie was a bit flat but as she was in season, I was just pleased to have her cooperation. And as we haven't been to a party for *so* long, I was also happy that she was not wild beyond reason and pulling my arms out.

We steered round Medium 69 sweetly enough for 65%. I thought that she had been obedient but a bit behind my leg, soft *enough* but not really any sparkle, to be expected after a long journey and without a break to relax before we had to start work.

We had a short break and I let her stand on the lorry to eat some hay and chill.
Tack back on for Medium 75, which has always been my downfall -it's a busy test and requires the horse to be really on the aids. When I've ridden it before, I've just piloted around the test in a blur hoping for the best, but at home I've found that we've come on a step in the training, and I now have enough time in the test to think, and prepare movements rather than just whang round the arena!

I went for a short, focussed warm up to get Millie in front of my leg and switched on. There were some very smart horses so I was beginning to feel daunted, but I was first to go after a withdrawal in the class so pulled my socks up and got on with it. Cantered up the centre line, halt, salute, look at judge, realise who it is, heart sinks.. it was Lady Inchcape, who has been fair but rather blunt when I've ridden for her before ;)

Anyway, I've paid my money so I'm just going to do my best, right? Can always cry over the test sheet with a glass of wine later. Needn't have worried, Millie was with me all the way round, and I was fully conscious throughout!
A few little wobbles with the left canter half pass, and she went a bit fussy in her mouth for the rein back, but otherwise tried her little socks off.

[video=youtube;9xX60Z4JVvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xX60Z4JVvg[/video]

I may have actually squeaked quite a bit on picking up the score sheet - 72% with a good scattering of 8s and a 9! Comment from Lady I 'pleasure to judge'. I am on cloud 9 :D

I THINK we've qualified for regionals in one go with 7 points in the qualifier and 3 in the non qualifier for Med restricted. Will phone the office to check, but I am thinking perhaps we will go this time ;)

Some pics
IMG_6775_zps45166olu.jpg

IMG_6764_zpssz2hu7sh.jpg

IMG_6785_zps7c6bobuw.jpg

Back in the field :) Standing like a lame donkey as she's waiting to mug me for my apple core!
20150424_161444_zpsoeyng3rz.jpg

I've got a new curb on order and if that suits then we will get a proper bradoon, but I'm really happy that she's gone so well in the double as it's the first time we've used it at a show.

In other news, Kira is looking more like the sports cob she should be, and has started leaping little jumps which is great fun.

20150424_074426_zpsuo7o5sts.jpg

Armas is doing lots of walk hacking and bits in the school to start rebuilding the topline he lost during his holiday. 3-horse days are a struggle with work on top, but who needs to watch TV, sleep, etc :D

{97702}

Visit site
Brilliant results, well done :) :) No wonder you are pleased, Lady I is always hard to please, shows what a class pair you are :)

trendybraincell

Visit site
Millie is looking great and what a fantastic result under Lady I...well done!!
I don't come on here much any more so nice to see updates from the old names, especially Millie as she gives me hope that Shadow can still do more :)

milliepops

Visit site
Thanks all:D Still grinning like a weirdo :lol:

Millie is looking great and what a fantastic result under Lady I...well done!!
I don't come on here much any more so nice to see updates from the old names, especially Millie as she gives me hope that Shadow can still do more :)

Oh goodness, and I always thought Shadow was a very classy horse! Millie is an old girl at 18 so time is against us but we are pressing on - changes are nearly there so if I can keep all her legs working we are aiming for AM area festivals this year.
Aim high ;) x

trendybraincell

Visit site
Oh goodness, and I always thought Shadow was a very classy horse! Millie is an old girl at 18 so time is against us but we are pressing on - changes are nearly there so if I can keep all her legs working we are aiming for AM area festivals this year.
Aim high ;) x

Haha bless you. Her canter is far better than Shadows, and thats what will hold him back. His changes are pretty good and trainer has suggested minimal time spent doing Mediums and push on to AM. Its the lack of transport that has held us up! Still trainer os out on sunday to kick me into action :)
Good luck with the Area Festival campaign :D

milliepops

Visit site
well that sounds like a plan. Sometimes you need to be a bit strategic ;) My trainer has conceded to my crazy ideas and said, well, there are only a couple of changes in each test so if you get 5s then it's not catastrophic... :eek:

milliepops

Visit site
haha! I quite like being in the adventures, apart from when something utterly awful happens :rolleyes: In the grand scheme of things she's a very ordinary horse, but I feel so lucky to have found the cheeky mare, and it catches my breath every day just how much she means to me :eek: oooh, something in my eye...

miss_c

Visit site
A 9 from Lady I?! I bow to you!! Fantastic report and results, well done!!

What trendybraincell neglects to mention is that she is now stabled 2 miles down the road from me so transport is no longer a problem. ;) :D

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
That was a super test, well done to you both. What a lovely walk Millie has (other paces are good too, but she walks like a queen).

LeannePip

Visit site
You both look brilliant! agree with cortez, she has a beautiful walk!

May i ask how you have found the ice vibe boots? i've been considering getting a pair

milliepops

Visit site
That was a super test, well done to you both. What a lovely walk Millie has (other paces are good too, but she walks like a queen).

Thank you :eek: It's what first attracted me to her, apart from her fab attitude to her work. I loved watching her saunter around the field, and she's a pleasure to hack because of it. Has been damn hard to collect and I'm afraid of breaking it though!

May i ask how you have found the ice vibe boots? i've been considering getting a pair

Only had them a week so still experimenting a bit, but so far so good. I decided to go for it after reading rave reviews on here :)

Street_Skill

Visit site
Wow! She looks fantastic, well done! I have really enjoyed following her progress and watching your videos especially as I am embarking on my first season of affiliated dressage. Only prelim at the moment but have had some wonderful and encouraging comments from all judges so far and we've also won our first points and rosette for every test! I've found your story really inspirational and it just goes to show what you can achieve with an "ordinary" horse (and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, just that she isn't a warmblood that cost a fortune and was been bred in the purple for dressage) with a lot of hard work and dedication. I'm hoping that my bargain bucket £100 TB can follow in Millie's footsteps! :)

taimargilbert20

Visit site
Ah amazing results !! its always nice to get such an improved mark from a judge that has judged you a few times. I think it really proves that you've improved :)! well done ! x

oldie48

Visit site
I'm so pleased to hear that you and Millie are back on the road and doing well. I've watched your posts with Armas with great interest but it must be wonderful to have Millie back. Good luck and I hope to meet you soon as I'm very local to you!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Really well done, so wonderful that you have got her back on the road. Here's to a fantastic season :)

I should think competing Millie and Armas together would be a slightly schizophrenic experience!...

star

Visit site
Wow - looking good! She's really beautiful. We had Lady I for our judge at C at the Regionals last year and got a 9.5 for our final halt - I nearly died of shock!

milliepops

Visit site
I've found your story really inspirational and it just goes to show what you can achieve with an "ordinary" horse (and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, just that she isn't a warmblood that cost a fortune and was been bred in the purple for dressage) with a lot of hard work and dedication. I'm hoping that my bargain bucket £100 TB can follow in Millie's footsteps! :)

Oh that's great, you certainly don't need to spend a lot in order to have a load of fun, just work hard and keep the faith! Millie has only cost me about £80 a year in borrowers fees so is certainly from the bargain basement, but I wouldn't swap her for anything!

I'm so pleased to hear that you and Millie are back on the road and doing well. I've watched your posts with Armas with great interest but it must be wonderful to have Millie back. Good luck and I hope to meet you soon as I'm very local to you!

Ooooh thanks, yes, hopefully we will be out and about a bit more regularly so we will probably end up at the same shows eventually :D

I should think competing Millie and Armas together would be a slightly schizophrenic experience!...

Er... yes. I think they would both be screaming for each other too. Will have to psych myself up for that one. And find a way to manage Millie when she's on the box, as she is determined to get her head under the partition bar which just gives me nightmares.

Wow - looking good! She's really beautiful. We had Lady I for our judge at C at the Regionals last year and got a 9.5 for our final halt - I nearly died of shock!

Crikey moses, that's amazing. Nice to feel like you must have really, *really* deserved it though :D

Four Seasons

Visit site
Wow! You could definitely beat a lot of dressage horses over here in the Netherlands, the way you present her and ride everything ever so correctly... Would love to see more people in the Netherlands ride just like you do!

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Well done, what a fantastic pair you are. I feel the 3 horse and full time job pain, along with 2 dogs, sleep is none exsistant, and god only knows why I aren't 4 stone wet through!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Really enjoyed watching that. What a lovely mare- congratulations on your accomplishments, I have no idea how you a manage with 3!

Well done again :)

milliepops

Visit site
Wow! You could definitely beat a lot of dressage horses over here in the Netherlands, the way you present her and ride everything ever so correctly... Would love to see more people in the Netherlands ride just like you do!

:eek::eek::eek: blimey, how kind of you to say that!
we just do our best, funny how as you get one thing sorted, you start to notice something else that has gone wayward ;)

Well done, what a fantastic pair you are. I feel the 3 horse and full time job pain, along with 2 dogs, sleep is none exsistant, and god only knows why I aren't 4 stone wet through!

Really enjoyed watching that. What a lovely mare- congratulations on your accomplishments, I have no idea how you a manage with 3!

aww thanks both, and e_S (as expect ljohnsonsj will agree) the secret is to get up mega early, finish really late, flog yourself all day and don't attempt to do too much else until the weekend! :lol: