Mini Rant :} About riding school riders and novices.. Just to point out..

SamanthaUK

Visit site
There's alot of ranting going on in the forum today mostly about novice riders and riding school riders.

Now, I know that it's annoying that some of you have had 'experianced' yet not experianced riders come and try your horses and that of course would make you angry, upset you maybe, but surely you shouldn't all blame riding school riders or novices. Some people have just come out of a riding school (not myself but this is just through some of my friends) and are now wanting their own horse to loan/buy just so they can get to learn more about riding and grow more experianced in the sport of equestrianism. < :D

And they're not bad riders just not experianced, what would you suggest they do? Get a 100% novice ride and just do the same as they did before, not learning anything other than what they've learnt or get something a little bit more forward going and to learn from their mistakes.

Surely that's how some of you learnt how to ride? By taking on more challenging horses/ponies?

I know that some people are like ' I'M EXPERIANCED, I KNOW EVERYTHING, BLABLABLA' but there just the people that p**s you genuine nice riders looking for someone to loan their horses off. And I completely get that but some riders, genuine riders wanting to learn more and more barely get a chance now because the reputation of 'novices' and 'riding school riders' has just gone downhill. In my opinion anyway.

Sorry to mini-rant. Just from what i've read it seems you've all got it in for novices and riding school riders.

I've probably got it wrong, I often do so please, and i'm sure you will, correct me if i'm wrong.

LET'S HAVE A DEBATE AND A NICE FORUM POST OF ARGUING. Not being mean just saying it is a bit of fun :}

Last edited:

biggingerpony

Visit site
No horse is 100% they all have their quirks that are just not noticeable in an hours lesson! Getting any horse is going to be a massive learning curve for someone who is just used to riding school ponies..... I can see both sides of the argument, I ride with the uni at a fairly good riding school, but it does annoy me when certain riders are like 'my horse is being so naughty it bucked and bolted with me' errr no it did a teeny cow kick and just got strong.... MASSIVE difference

SamanthaUK

Visit site
No horse is 100% they all have their quirks that are just not noticeable in an hours lesson! Getting any horse is going to be a massive learning curve for someone who is just used to riding school ponies..... I can see both sides of the argument, I ride with the uni at a fairly good riding school, but it does annoy me when certain riders are like 'my horse is being so naughty it bucked and bolted with me' errr no it did a teeny cow kick and just got strong.... MASSIVE difference

I must admit, it does irritate me when people are like ' oh yeah, my horse galloped off with me when the cat ran out from the barn' No love, your horse spooked a tiny bit. It didn't even canter off...:rolleyes:

Amaranta

Visit site
Oh Goody yet another thread ranting about people ranting :rolleyes:

FTR not one person was having a go a RS and novice riders but the RS/novices have obviously have very very thin skins!

Ladylina83

Visit site
Yes I do think they should get a 100% novice all rounder horse as their first , learn as much as they can get out as much as possible decide what their equestrian aims are then upgrade specifically with that in mind

rhino

Visit site
To be honest I've not seen any 'ranting' at all, just people passionate about their hobby putting their point across.

We all started as novices. Most of us at RSs. No-one is 'knocking' RSs or novices.

Everyone has the right to sell/not to sell their horse to anyone. In fact, I would much rather a seller turned round and told someone they weren't experienced enough/suitable for their horse than risk overhorsing someone and potentially leading to injury of horse or rider. Or just putting them off horses; how many posts on here are from people who have lost their confidence?

People also underestimate the value of a schoolmaster. They can teach you as much as any instructor IMO. In some respects my horse was not suitable for a novice - he was a fit warmblood, competing affiliated and had his 'quirks'. He also had a fantastic temperament which is the single most important thing for a first horse. He has taken me from competing in my first clear round to competing nationally, in more than one sphere. He has given me the confidence to ride pretty much any horse, and has led to other people offering me their horses to ride.

Before I found him I tried out a stunning little 4year old ISH. I occasionally wonder what would have happened if I had bought him (I didn't, he bucked me off instantly :eek: :D). Would I still have been as confident? Would I have done the things I have done with the ginger monster? Who knows!

Oops, another ramble from me :D

SamanthaUK

Visit site
E x p e r i e n c e d. < Is this correct? :') I can't spell as you probably guessed. I knew it didn't look right when i'd typed it but i couldn't figure out what was wrong.
:') Ha! I'm useless.

Last edited:

SamanthaUK

Visit site
I guess so, i'm sorry! I don't know why but it seemed to me that people were having a go at novices and rsr. Oh well, sorry for the i n c o n v i e n i a n c e. BIG WORD :') Probably not spelt right! hahaha!!

Last edited:

rhino

Visit site
I guess so, i'm sorry! I don't know why but it seemed to me that people were having a go at novices and rsr. Oh well, sorry for the i n c o n v i e n i a n c e. BIG WORD :') Probably not spelt right! hahaha!!

Nope, it's inconvenience :D Don't worry, you don't appear to be the only person who felt a bit got at by recent threads :)

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
You want experience then don't own your own horse. That's right because riding loads of different horses is how you gain experience and get good. Didn't buy my own til I was 33 and living in a foreign country.

But since I had the desire I did the things that entitled to youngsters wouldn't dream of today. Rode the richer kids horses at the local riding school. I didn't get to go when they went off showing. Nope I was the one left behind to do all the mucking and crap jobs. Didn't get paid just got to ride.

Then I couldn't believe I got paid at the track to be a hotwalker and then groom. For 3 years I didn't ride. Was sent to a farm to learn how to gallop.I had an awesome horseman take me under his wing. He had serious doubts that I would be able to gallop as I was pretty useless. I lived on next to nothing. Paid my bills and lived on soup and rice. After 6 months of galloping the pony horses in the afternoon I spent another 6 months just doing the trot work and learning to start youngsters. I became one of the better exercise riders in America. But let me tell you I did a lot of crap to become a good rider.

Nowadays people whinge about being a working student, want to be paid big bucks for being fairly average, want instant everything, and have no tolerance for having to earn respect. Nowadays it's demanded.

So if you go to buy a horse that fits your fairly average skills don't get PO'd with the person who doesn't want a lawsuit because you get hurt on a horse that is above your level. Now if you can afford to do right by horse and have someone else putting all the work into it while you catch up fine fair enough. Still doesn't give you a variety of experience on a host of different types though does it.

Step out of your comfort zone. Do different riding, learn to start youngsters the right way. Don't whinge you don't get your dream horse because you're fairly average or that people don't want to deal with dreamers when selling.

Terri

be positive

Visit site
Going from riding once a week or so in a controlled situation to owning a horse is a big enough step without taking on a difficult or challenging horse, some people have more confidence and can manage, others run into problems beyond their experience.

The first horse you buy is I feel, the most important investment, get it right and confidence grows, you can try new things and develop skills along the way, get the wrong one and it can spiral very quickly in the wrong direction, loss of nerve being the first thing that usually happens, often this nervousness will then be deep seated and spoil the pleasure riding should be.

Everyone has to start somewhere but it is a journey that should be fun, there is plenty of hard work involved, the riding and handling needs to be the reward for horse and owner.

ridersince2002

Visit site
a good few years ago i was in desperate need of some lessons, and because i didnt own a horse or have access to a horse i could have lessons on, i went in search of a riding school. Tried a couple of fairly local BHS approved riding schools and didnt find that the teaching was particularly good value for money. Not slating the riding instructors- im sure one to one they would be fantastic, but because it was all so expensive to go to a bhs approved school, i couldd only afford group lessons, and they tried to squeeze as many people as possible into a group lesson, so in that hour we didnt really get much personal attention, and i just wasnt learning. One i went to, i knew at the time i was riding like absolute poo, it was the most advanced class, and i was told i was riding well- i could have pointed out points that the instructor wasnt picking up on most of the other riders, and i was fully aware that i wasnt riding 'well'. I was most dissappointed as i felt that by being told i was riding well she was just trying to get out of teaching properly. So is it really the RS riders fault that they think they can ride if all theyre doing is sitting on a plod and kicking and being told theyre doing fantasticly? They dont know any more about riding and what its like to ride a 'real' horse, all they know is easy horses, and they may be experienced on easy horses. :)

wtdnh131

Visit site
i agree with OP about the fact that RS riders just want to get out of the riding school and get proper experience, i was that! but i dont like arguing so im just gonna leave it at that

SamanthaUK

Visit site
i agree with OP about the fact that RS riders just want to get out of the riding school and get proper experience, i was that! but i dont like arguing so im just gonna leave it at that

Aaah don't worry pet, we've completely gone off that subject now. We're just discussing how bad I am at spelling! hahahaha! :p

rhino

Visit site
Oh christ! hahahahaha! I honestly thought I was better than that.
TEST ME :') I promise I won't use google! :p:D:rolleyes:

:D Not a chance, don't do 'work stuff' (I'm a teacher :rolleyes:) on HHO!

If you use Google Chrome there is an in-built spellcheck ;)

I'm impressed that you are taking this in such good humour :) :D

SamanthaUK

Visit site
:D Not a chance, don't do 'work stuff' (I'm a teacher :rolleyes:) on HHO!

If you use Google Chrome there is an in-built spellcheck ;)

I'm impressed that you are taking this in such good humour :) :D

Oh yes bro, why be depressed over something which I could improve on? I think it's funny really that i'm so naff at spelling! :} hehe!

Life's for livin' and laughin' << oooh that should be my status hang on.

*Hyper tizzy fit* swifhdsufjndfjb vkjhvfxk laszm!

sorry having one of my moments :)