Miniature Horses/Ponies.......Why?

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Been away from the horse world for years, can't get my head around the increase in miniatures.

What are they for?
Can they be ridden?
What do people do with them?

Saw an advert for "miniature Shetlands" does that mean an ordinary Shetland that is now talked about as being miniature?
Or is it some other abomination?
Why would you want to breed a smaller Shetland?

Don't get it at all, if people want a pony the size of a dog to keep as a pet, get a dog.:confused:

Elsiecat

Visit site
Let me answer your ending statement with another statement - if you want a dog the size of a Shetland, get a Shetland!

flump

Visit site
We have 2 minature ponies, one minature American pony and one minature donkey! And one mini something who was a rescue job! To give you an idea on size they were 3'3-3'6 rugs. They are not ridden but are much loved but naughty pets! I would not cope if any where over 12hh lol! They are just cute and cuddly and they can come in the tack room with you on tea break!
I love them and would never want to be without them!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Because they are cute. Daughters pony is 11.1 & her dam was a mini. She does all the usual second pony stuff. Daughters also backed/rode two for friends who use them as lr ponies for toddlers. I actually really like the fact true minis are horses in tiny pony bodies, they just amuse me.

giddyupalfie

Visit site
You stole my line!! ;)

Mine has no purpose other than keeping my other horse company.. Cheaper to look after then a larger size companion.

Lol sorry :p

I do have a business/job lined up for my Miniature but I'm not telling you all incase it doesn't work out... You'll have to wait and see what it is! You could be waiting a long time though due to money, so I wouldn't get too excited :eek::p

sonjafoers

Visit site
I took one on at the end of last summer because he had terrible sweet itch & his owner wasn't treating him......and I keep asking myself the same question. WHY??? :D :D

NeverSayNever

Visit site
i have one very similar to Ffionwinnie's. She is 34 inches and also worth her weight in gold. She serves a fabulous purpose as small, easy to keep companion to my mare. I also long rein her and she is a fabulous lead rein pony for friend's kiddies and is wonderful with my 9 month old baby who has already started riding her.

mulledwhine

Visit site
I once had a rabbit that was bigger than my terrier!! Why have a dog when you can have a rabbit? Because I like dogs :)

I can't walk a rabbit , but like the cuddles :)

Horses/ ponies do not need to be ridden to be happy, some people just like their company, ad long as they are well kept, I say , each to their own :)

ZondaR

Visit site
I was at a hunter trial today and one was being lunged. It looked weirdly cute, or, cutely weird, seeing a minature Shetty being treated like a 'real' horse. Then a little girl got on and set off to do the little under 12's course which was x poles and in a lovely little field. Her sister was going to do the 2nd round and they both wanted to go twice but mother said no. They asked why and she said "because Mummy will be too knackered to go round again". Lol. (We were parked next to them, hence I overheard the conversation.)

kerrieberry2

Visit site
look at his face, how could you not love him?
jdog.jpg

ghostie-x

Visit site
I have 2, both coming up to 10 yrs old and they grew up together. They are both 34in and the black one has done dressage,showing and placed many times SJ with my younger sister! She is now 9 but can still ride him as she is so light and has taken him hunting twice in the last month- he loves it! :D

They are fantastic characters to have around, so much fun and absolutely adorable. Our little dun Mudlark is less feisty than Pipkin and is perfect for tiny tots learning to ride. They are little angels and I can't imagine life without our Mini's! :)
316648_10150888479270164_230069162_n.jpg

Pipkin hunting
711632_10152544070750164_1313783477_n.jpg

Mudlark
545169_10151741202170164_1436304597_n.jpg

sam72431

Visit site
Each to their own, I don't have one but friend has one and uses him for lead rein, and anyway even if she didn't so what who are we to question who does what with their horse?! Why do you have a 'proper' size horse?! Do you jump compete etc the list goes on why question what other people do the world would be a boring place if we were all the same!!