Miniature Horses/Ponies.......Why?

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Sorry, but euww; horrible deformed useless little gits.

...and seeing as this comment has got my goat (which I usually forbid myself to do) there is a disabled man who lives not too many miles from me who has minatures and shows them from his WHEELCHAIR.

He cannot walk, tends to them HIMSELF through the use of his adapted and fabulous chair, LOADS them himself into the small trailer and drives them to shows....

Would you like to say that to him? He is also considered deformed...

Quite frankly, the joy he gets out of his ponies says it all.

I have great admiration for someone like that. Unable to ride, he lives his passion through these ponies....

NeverSayNever

Visit site
...and seeing as this comment has got my goat (which I usually forbid myself to do) there is a disabled man who lives not too many miles from me who has minatures and shows them from his WHEELCHAIR.

He cannot walk, tends to them HIMSELF through the use of his adapted and fabulous chair, LOADS them himself into the small trailer and drives them to shows....

I have great admiration for someone like that. Unable to ride, he lives his passion through these ponies....

that is wonderful!! Dear little ponies :D

DragonSlayer

Visit site
that is wonderful!! Dear little ponies :D

When I first saw him, I couldn't believe my eyes, I had to go talk to him! He has dwarfism, and his chair was amazing. The ponies are the perfect size for him.

I then saw him again when I went a little further afield to ride.

Saw him again at another show but not for a while. I do hope he is keeping well. :D

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Don't see the point. Any I have met have been horrible little gits.....

I usually enjoy your posts Cortez but you are coming across as a git on this thread never mind the ponies.

I have met plenty of horrible ones however the one we have now is an utter super star.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Sorry, but euww; horrible deformed useless little gits.

There you go, H&H forum has lots of opinions :)

I have one - we've always had one since my mother brought her 1st std & also a mini back in the early 70's.

The 33" one I have is a very good companion, stays in a field or stable on her own.
Also broken to lunge & long rein, very light in the mouth & will be pulling a harrow soon on the one field I cannot get done when the rest are done (its always too wet when the others are ready).

She's also doing sterling work with disabled children, stands for hours to be petted & sometimes mauled by small children & is very gentle with them, even to the point of freezing still if one gets misplaced under her feet etc.
Also keeps the big geldings in order by biffing them into place when necessary :D
Cheap to keep & easy to do :)

The only thing she has no respect for is a paddock sub-divided with tape, but hey, thats my problem to deal with ;)

Each to their own tho..........

mulledwhine

Visit site

Hear hear, very well said :)

Rhodders

Visit site
wow, because ...................
I have one who I bought as a 6 month old colt, he stays in the field with my other horses or totally on his own, doesn't care either way. If one of my horses is sick and has to be on box rest the mini goes in the foaling box with the sicky to keep him company. They are the ultimate in companion, cheap to keep and really don't give a hoot if they are in/out, with friends/alone.
I have another rescue one, who was kept in a shed for 12 years, I have him just so he can live like a pony, have friends, run around the field and actually he is the quietest gentle little pony i have ever met and he deserves to be happy

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Littlegs, I use a Willis pad for mine (felt saddle with proper stirrup bars).
I added an overgirth for when daughter went off the LR out hunting on our 36" mare at the age of 6 - had 2 really good seasons on her before going out on the section A & then others as she (daughter) grew :)
Daughter loved it when she was tiny & also used one when doing shetland Grand National racing. Gave her a really good seat :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
What part is deformed? They look very well, and giving small children a start!!!?
As with dwarfism in all species, legs and often deformities of the head and jaw. With apologies to people with sentimental attatchments, but I have had to look after several over the years and they have been either physically deformed or spoiled beyond belief. Horses in general do not make good pet animals, teeny weeny ones no less so.

Rhodders

Visit site
actually what gives you the right to pass judgement on any animal - be it tall or small they all have their place in this world and in peoples hearts, I wouldn't touch a 16 2 thoroughbred, doesn't mean they are ugly just means they aren't for me.

for what its worth my midgets are great :D
575061_10150672176602219_932728512_n.jpg

mulledwhine

Visit site
It could also be argued that horses in general are a very silly species, a Hughes big animal, on silly skinny legs, balancing on one toe, no wonder they get into all sorts of mishaps :(

I agree with the breeding if very small ponies that have bendy legs, and silly heads ( sadly, as was said by my horse dentist ) in most mountain breeds as their heads are getting very silly!!!

But the ponies shown, looked in proportion, so the comment regarding them appeared unkind :(

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
As with dwarfism in all species, legs and aften deformities of the head and jaw. With apologies to people with sentimental attatchments, but I have had to look after several over the years and they have been either physically deformed or spoiled beyond belief. Horses in general do not make good pet animals, teeny weeny ones no less so.

With bad conformation, this is spread right across the horseworld - bigger ponies & also horses with bad conformation - from parrot mouths, pin toes, sickle hocks to sway backs etc etc.
Its not 'exclusive' to miniature shetlands or miniature horses ;)

I'd rather call it bad conformation, not deformity :p

As to spoiled? I'd rather sort out a small pony from biting, than a 'spoiled' 17hh trying to bite/stamp etc :rolleyes:

I think you will have seen that most of the respondees on here who have got/had mini's do not actually treat them as pets...........

Littlelegs

Visit site
Thankyou ghostie & tff. I had a feeling it was a cub in those pics but worth a try! Ours is a x & 11.1, but has the flat shettie shaped back, so is a horror to fit.
Tff- we've got a ponypad on her. No idea if its a Willis, its old, felt underneath & leather on top, proper stirrup bars, but basically like a very thick numnah in fit. It was originally just to be going on with till we found a saddle that fitted. However I eventually gave up. Daughter mostly rode bareback or in a pad as a tiny. Backed current pony in pad age 6, now 8 & still in it. Gallops, jumps & the rest in it without problems, & I agree re the benefits to the seat.

Booboos

Visit site
I have a fallabela companion pony who is just perfect for what I need him for. He is a super companion in the field and has nannied youngsters, he does not have separation anxiety problems so he can go out first, come in last or be left alone in the stable, he will give other horses a lead onto the lorry and even travel and stay on the lorry calmly all day while another horse competes. If all that wasn't enough he made back all the money he's cost me night he gave all the panicky horses a lead in the pitch dark past the transporter's lorry and into the new place - he saved us all from a major incident that night.

He has excellent manners, he is good to catch, groom, lead, etc. So I don't think small equals unruly.

There are some wonderful minis that have been trained as seeing horses for the blind (the working life of a seeing horse is much longer than that of a seeing dog so that makes their training more worth while) - for that alone they are worth it as a breed!

EstherYoung

Visit site
Dwarfism is a different gene to just being small - the dwarf gene is also present in Fresians I believe and they are not small. The problem is with dwarfism in shetlands is that a small pony with the gene will be smaller so an unscrupulous breeder can carry on those lines.

There have always been small shetlands, right from day one of the shetland pony stud book, and those shetlands are not dwarfs and are not deformed. They are sturdy, hardy, tough little ponies.

As to what they can do, well driving four in hand is the most excellent fun :) I learnt to drive with miniature shetlands and I owe the breed a lot.

Last edited:

mightymammoth

Visit site
what a wonderful selection of photo's, they are all lovely. They look so cuddly, what sort of temperament do mini's have generally?

HBM1

Visit site
I used to wonder why people had littlies..until I came across a msn who had broken his back in a fall. He still wanted to be involved in horses so got miniatures to show.I dare say he is not the only one. I am not sure why your post is so angry sounding about them though...surely it is up to the individual what they own.

Buds_mum

Visit site
See of I wanted a littley as a companion for my 16hh cob would I better off with a good size standard...
Want something easy to do, laid back and cheap to keep... And small enough for a small stable...

How do people find their minis and 'normals' get on?