miss sold a horse

dizzyupthegirl

New User
Visit site
Last summer my father was kind enough to give me some money to go out and buy myself a horse.
I started my search and found what I thought to be my ideal horse.
16.2 bay ID X TB gelding, 9 years old, all rounder. The lady who was selling it, was pregnant and apparently only selling this horse due to the pregnancy.
I went out twice to try this horse and both times he seemed great.
A week later I had him vetted by a very well know veterinary group, he passed, but it was commented that he had flat feet.
I proceeded to buy the horse and bring him home, he was mine and I was a very proud owner.
The horse was ridden every day throughout the week, hacking and light schooling. His behaviour seemed to go from bad to worse, I had him the same routine and on the same feed as his past owner. One Sunday after work I went for a quiet hack with two ladies from my yard, my horses behaviour was ok to start with he was soft and forward going. As the hack went on my horse got more and more upset, we took him home and the vet was called.
After a massive lameness work up and an all round health check, my vet told me he was as fit as a fiddle and his behaviour was strange. I then went down the route of the saddle fitter and dentist to which the horse was deemed fit, fine and well.
I then carried on with the schooling and hacking, the horses behaviour went from bad to worse and one day he had me off braking my left wrist in 3 places. I contacted the lady I brought him off and asked if she would take him back and refund me 70% of what I paid. I was told that she was too pregnant (3 months gone) and I was not to contact her again.
I battled with this horse and paid people to ride him and tried to get him sorted. This battle went on for 9 months, until I took the decision to have him put to sleep after he broke a professional riders leg.
The lady I brought him off, has added me on face book asking after him, I haven't told her anything, but upon looking back at her face book profile I found out that she had, had similar problems with this horse.
Has anyone else suffered this heartache and loss after they have brought a horse from someone you thought was a trusted horse lover like yourself?

silverstar

Visit site
Poor you what a horrible time you had. Echo what daisydo said.

Yes Ive been sold horses that had problems twice but mine were from dealers which is why Im not going down that route this time.

xxRachelxx

Visit site
I am really sorry for your loss. Must be really hard when you think you have found your ideal friend and they turn out to be a nightmare. Also, well done for having him put down. So many people will sell on horses like this and risk them injurying or even killing other people and in the process the horse often ends up getting badly mistreated, so well down on making what must have been a really hard decision.
I dont think there is any trade as bad as the horse trade for unscrupulous people! A friend of mine bought a horse from a family friend. She was told that the horse was fine but abit too advanced for the owner. Turned out it was a rearer whilst being ridden and handled and was totally dangerous. And that was sold to her by a 'family friend'.

Boxers

Visit site
I contacted the lady I brought him off and asked if she would take him back and refund me 70% of what I paid. I was told that she was too pregnant (3 months gone) and I was not to contact her again.
I battled with this horse and paid people to ride him and tried to get him sorted. This battle went on for 9 months, until I took the decision to have him put to sleep after he broke a professional riders leg.
The lady I brought him off, has added me on face book asking after him, I haven't told her anything, but upon looking back at her face book profile I found out that she had, had similar problems with this horse.

I am really sorry you have had such a terrible time - and what an awful decision to have to make to have the horse pts - but the right one I think.

As to contact with the previous owner - well when you tried to contact her you were told not to contact her again, and now she is inviting you to be a facebook friend? You have two choices - either ignore the friendship request, forget the whole sorry episode and move on, or accept the freindship request and breifly explain that the horse turned out to be dangerous and following the horse breaking bones of 2 competent riders, you decided that the most honorable thing to do was to have him pts and this you have done as you would not wish to pass on such a dangerous horse. You could query why she felt able to pass on a dangerous horse.

Personally, I would ignore the freindship request and just try to move on - there probably isn't any value to be had in telling her what has happened. She should have faced up to her responsibilities but unfortunately she didn't and now riders have been injured and the horse has ended up pts.

I really feel for you and hope that you can find yourself a good horse soon.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
It happens unfortunately. Very sorry you had to go through it, but what you did sounds as though it was the best thing, you were responsible and prevented anybody else being injured. Sometimes these things are unexplainable.
Look to the future, this horse obviously had difficulties judging by comments on facebook that were unlikely to be solved. Look to the future and take comfort in the fact that you put an end to more injury. You were more responsible than a lot of people are in that situation.

teddyt

Visit site
Oh well, **** happens...move on.

:eek:

OP- there are loads of reasons that could cause 'bad' behaviour. Once it becomes ingrained it takes a long time to re-train. It takes a while for any horse to settle in a new home, the food could have been inappropriate and so on. Some horses are great with one owner but dont get on with another. Unfortunately the advice from one of the professionals consulted may not have been great. There are loads of reasons why a horse may be difficult and its not usually the horses fault bh but the way its been managed at some point in its life.
Im sorry youve had a cr4p time and got injured. At least you did the right thing and pts instead of passing the horse on, likely from pillar to post. Unfortunately there are lots of rogues in the horse world but i agree with others that if the horse was ok when you tried it and shortly afterwards then its not necessarily mis-sold

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
nativeponies, wtf ????

It is polite in our society to say nothing at all if you have nothing helpful to say. Good grief.

Totally agree with this.

OP I am so sorry and well done for making the decision to have him PTS as he was clearly dangerous. and not just damaging yourself and others in a bid to try and get him better. Did you have a Post Mortem done? As to the lady, tell her the truth.

I have ever had this happen to me, but I am sure you are not alone There are a lot of crooks out there in the horse market.

Archiesmummy

Visit site
Oh, I am so sorry to read this and the sad outcome.

Unfortunately, health changes and what may have been a fit, healthy horse fit for purpose may have developed a health issue that resulted in the tragedy that unfolded, I guess you will never know.

I look upon buying a horse and having it vetted like an mot on a car, it can pass on the day and then blow up the next. The mot only being true at the particular testing.

Having said all that, if you have written evidence collected from Facebook that the owner knowingly misled you and the horse was mis-sold then perhaps seeking legal advice will be your best option.

Let the old owner know if she has asked the question.

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Sorry you have had a rubbish time, but as others have said move on. I wouldn't get involved with previous owner via facebook - that could turn into a dangerous game.
You did the right thing, so hold your head high, and perhaps your father could give you a second go?.

Queenbee

Visit site
OP I am truly sorry for you loss. It may be a compete coincidence that the horses behaviour 'changed' other posters are completely right in what they say that behaviour can become 'ingrained' and hard too break, sometimes impossible. There is a person who I sold a cob to and I am sure that she would say that I miss sold her as being 'good to load' but she was a fantastic loader for me, evey time, from what I heard this was not the case with her next owner. Change can do the strangest things to horses, and it really could just be down to that. That is not negating the fact that this horse could have been mis-sold to you, either way it is a terrible shame, and an awful experience for someone to go through when they think they have purchased their pride and joy. It sounds like you thought long and hard about your decision and tried absolutley everything you could, in the end you made the safest and best decision for all involved.

I feel for you (((hugs)))

on the FB subject I would probably reply, keep it short and sweet. If it were me I would refer to your conversation where you offered him back and were asked not to contact her and that in the end you had to have him PTS, that you tried everything possible to get to the bottom of the problem but it was the only responsible decision. It really may not have been anything to do with the previous owner, if that is the case, it would be fair to let her know, I know I would appreciate that if it were me. If she did knowingly sell a problematic horse to you, then you are making it clear that you a responsible person and you are not the type of person to be so wreckless with the lives of humans or horses. Again if it were me, I would just be replying to her not adding her as a friend, and then probably requesting that she not contact me again because of the obvious distress it would cause.

pastie2

Visit site
I am sorry OP about your situation. I also feel for the venders of horses that the word "miss sold" is used. I bought a lovely TB from a dealer 3 months ago, she was everything he said she was. I chose to get this mare fit for competion, she is nothing like the mare that was originaly sold to me. It was my choice to change her and I have to sit tight with glue now. I think horses change due to a differant environment feeding and work. I feel that it is unfair to blame the seller, your horse was fine when you tried it out and passed a vetting. Horses are horses and react to the situation they are kept and to the knowledge and direction of the owner.

dizzyupthegirl

New User
Visit site
Upon talking to my vet who at the time was a well know equine hospital in west Sussex, who did the deed of putting him to sleep, he seemed to think the horse had been drugged with a human personality drug. As I never took the option to have bloods taken at the time of vetting, I will never know, but the worst of it all was the stuff that was put on face book. A post mortem would of added even more cost to what was a very expensive horse in price and veterinary treatment. I feel that 9 months is an acquit amount of time for a horse to settle in a home.
I cant even admit to being inexperienced horse person as I have my BHS stage 3 complete and my BHS stage 4 care.

pastie2

Visit site
Upon talking to my vet who at the time was a well know equine hospital in west Sussex, who did the deed of putting him to sleep, he seemed to think the horse had been drugged with a human personality drug. As I never took the option to have bloods taken at the time of vetting, I will never know, but the worst of it all was the stuff that was put on face book. A post mortem would of added even more cost to what was a very expensive horse in price and veterinary treatment. I feel that 9 months is an acquit amount of time for a horse to settle in a home.
I cant even admit to being inexperienced horse person as I have my BHS stage 3 complete and my BHS stage 4 care.

Well in that case OP, you know it all!!!

foxtrotter

Visit site
There are long acting tranquilisers that last from 1 to 3 months - the human anti-psychotic drug fluphenazine (Modecate) and an Indian root called reserpine. It's not unknown. A number of professional riders have been banned in high level competitions for having these substances in their horses' blood. A well known trainer advised me that there is a case to be made for blood testing at the vetting, and blood testing again when you get them home - but that makes it all a bit expensive.

pastie2

Visit site
There are long acting tranquilisers that last from 1 to 3 months - the human anti-psychotic drug fluphenazine (Modecate) and an Indian root called reserpine. It's not unknown. A number of professional riders have been banned in high level competitions for having these substances in their horses' blood. A well known trainer advised me that there is a case to be made for blood testing at the vetting, and blood testing again when you get them home - but that makes it all a bit expensive.

I think we are talking hugely expensive horses to be dosed with such a drug. If at all. I think most people buy a horse and havent the knowlege or experience, the horse then takes the p$$$, the new purchaser then blames the vendor.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Upon talking to my vet who at the time was a well know equine hospital in west Sussex, who did the deed of putting him to sleep, he seemed to think the horse had been drugged with a human personality drug.
How could your vet possibly guess that a, the horse had been drugged at all, and b, what type of drug was administered, without any evidence whatsover?
It's all speculation, and a fruitless path to follow - especially if your vet values his reputation.

Sorry but you have no evidence whatsoever that the horse was miss-sold to you, and having your BHS qualifications means nothing. In fact it should mean that the seller would be less likely to be able to dupe you, and I'm very surprised that someone with your experience would forego blood tests at the vetting...

You could be totally in the right, or you could be way off the mark. You will never know, and for that reason alone, you should let this drop before the seller finds out you are accusing her of fraud without any evidence. Otherwise, unfair as it might seem, it could be you in the dock... :(

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I was taken to court because I put in my advert that my horse hacked out alone and in company. Which she did, she didn't in her new home (allegedly) She won. It wasn't a very pleasant experience one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I won the moral victory, the day I fetched her back I hacked her to the yard on her own. You too have proof on facebook that all was not right with the horse. But put it behind you and move on, you know you did the right thing.